Tapuare Beach

Massaga

Nov 12, 2011, 4:30:49 PM11/12/11
to gonatural
Hi, has anyone been to Tapuare Beach in Taranaki, I am planning on
visiting this beach this summer with friends and I would like to know
something about this beach.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark.

Ian Clarke

Nov 12, 2011, 6:03:10 PM11/12/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Yes plenty of times being a local. It is off Highway 45 between New Plymouth
and Oakura, its not signposted however, heading to Oakura you will go down a
huge hill this is the only one like this between NP and Oakura and its
called Tapuae hill named after the river that runs thru the bottom, as you
descend there is a turning bay turning right toward the coast, this is the
road that leads into a new sub-division and the beach track, you will see
new houses dotted about, there is a car park off that little road to your
left at the bottom of the road. From the car park theres a grassy mown track
which follows the river all the way to the beach, most locals go to the
right of the river, this is a marine reserve so no fisherman prowling round
like they do going left, theres about a kilometre of clear beach more so
when the tides out with high hills behind, however there are new houses
being built and prospective owners peering over the cliffs and wandering
along the beach with ties on is not uncommon. At this time of year it can
get windy, but come January onwards it settles down some but theres always
breezes, beach umbrellas a must as theres no shelter, black hot ironsand
beware particularly if you have little ones. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes
walk from carpark an easy stroll down gentle slopes. We do get the odd
walker with dogs as its a dog allowed beach and maybe some others but not to
much bother from gwarkers it takes an a bit of effort to get there. If you
have trouble finding the place let me know thru this media and hopefully Im
not on weeked shift and I can guide you there..

Regards Ian.

Mark Kennedy

Nov 12, 2011, 9:42:34 PM11/12/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Thanks Ian that is a big help.
Mark

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gonatural" group.

John Lowe [BrBnd]

Nov 15, 2011, 6:55:06 PM11/15/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

Many thanks for that - it's several years since I've been there! I'll now
update the FBNZ entry to match your updated access directions. The direct
link to Tapuae Beach is: freebeaches.org.nz/v4tapuae.htm if you'd like to
check it out. (Let me know if you have any corrections or suggestions.)

Regards,
John Lowe
FBNZ Sec.

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Ian Clarke

Nov 15, 2011, 11:38:24 PM11/15/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

No problems, I can now tell you the name of the road off HW 45 is Washer
Road a new sign just been erected. There is also stone walls either side of
this road with Tapuae in big silver lettering as its also the entrance to
this new lifestyle farm blocks being sold in the area. The beach isnt
actually called Tapuae, I dont think it has a name but when you say Tapuae
everyone knows what your talking about.

Regards

Ian

Nov 16, 2011, 2:06:10 PM11/16/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,
           When you say most locals go to the right of the river, I presume you mean the local naturists and is this beach popular with naturists.
My only hope with the new up market subdivision going in ,you don't get another Pekapeka Beach situation where the local residents are trying to drive the naturists away, so they can claim 'their' beach back.
Cheers, Mark.

Mark Kennedy

> From: ian-c...@xtra.co.nz
> To: gona...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [gonatural] Tapuare Beach

Ian Clarke

Nov 16, 2011, 3:09:03 PM11/16/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Yes thats correct, there is a couple that have established themselves a little hut who go over the river to the left, then get stuck when the fishermen arrive and young textile families using the shallow river mouth for an afternoon. Theres not as many of us these days, when I first discovered the place in the 90s it was very popular. I have thought of the Peka Peka situation, I know one couple who built the first mansion on a cliff top are not worried at all, they wander along the beach with their dog grinning at the sights lol, but I guess others may not be so tolerant, there hasnt been any hassles with the ignorant as far as I know, the council know the place exsits as do the police, some of whom graced the placed in the past. I even saw two council water testers take a skinny dip one day, perks of the job lol.

Regards
Ian

John Lowe [BrBnd]

Nov 16, 2011, 8:40:32 PM11/16/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks for that. Cheers, John

Nov 17, 2011, 4:59:32 PM11/17/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,
There's not as many of us these days, when I first discovered the place in the 90s it was very popular.
Presumably you'd have met Linda there during the 90s - is she still around?
I have thought of the Peka Peka situation, I know one couple who built the first mansion on a cliff top are not worried at all, they wander along the beach with their dog grinning at the sights lol, but I guess others may not be so tolerant, there hasnt been any hassles with the ignorant as far as I know, the council know the place exsits as do the police, some of whom graced the placed in the past. I even saw two council water testers take a skinny dip one day, perks of the job lol.
But that's also evidence that it is 'recognised' by the authorities: thus 'legal' by usage.

(For what it's worth, back in the 70s, the NP City Council was all set to designate Back Beach - the next one north of Tapuae - as one of the first - and in NZ: only - beaches to be 'permitted' for nude bathing. Imagine what would have happened if they had: we would most likely not be allowed to use Tapuae!)

Cheers,
John

Joyce Fleming

Nov 17, 2011, 6:06:06 PM11/17/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
When I was first a member at Pineglades (way back) someone by the name if Ian Clarke was editor of the newsletter ("Pinecones.") Could this be the same person? His writing style was quite light-hearted and much better and more amusing than the average.

Joyce
Nov 17, 2011, 8:40:31 PM11/17/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com

Off topic slightly, but just seen this on STUFF

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/5993698/Nude-hiking-fine-upheld#share

Thankfully, it’s not here in NZ

Ian Clarke

Nov 18, 2011, 2:22:26 AM11/18/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Yes Linda is the beach matriarch still,  and yes you are correct about Back beach though it is no longer used as such and theres a gay place sprung up between Back beach and Tapuae, interestingly enuff the couple that have built the mansion above Tapuae are good friends with the previous mayor, so the council are well informed, and last stated by them when Kapiti beaches were okayed our mayor sanctioned Tapuae but saw no need to promote or signpost.

Regards

Ian
Nov 18, 2011, 2:29:50 AM11/18/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joyce,

Not guilty your honour lol, Clarke is Irish and we all have the funny mick in our bones and Guinness instead of blood, never been to your club should have I lived in Dunedin for many year. However if hes got a name like mine then he must be a good fellow.

Cheers

Ian

Mark Kennedy

Nov 18, 2011, 3:02:44 AM11/18/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
The Taranaki Council sound like a forward thinking Council, unlike the Kapiti District Council.
Yes it sometimes the best way is not to promote naturist beaches as this can sometimes can cause problems such as voyeurs and just leave it to 'word of mouth' and or promoting these beaches through groups such as this.
I know my local beach Otatoka is known by the local naturist community without having too much promotion.
Mark.

Mark Kennedy

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 20:22:26 +1300

Mark Kennedy

Nov 18, 2011, 4:50:51 PM11/18/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
I was looking on the Tapuare Estates website it looks like an interesting development, it would be good to live on a chunk of land and not have to worry about having to farm it.
I wonder weather any potential buyer would know there is a naturist beach next to their potential new home.
also would this development put naturists off going to this beach, knowing there maybe people looking down on them.
Mark.

Mark Kennedy

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 20:22:26 +1300

Ian Clarke

Nov 19, 2011, 12:02:43 AM11/19/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Yeah its a great spot, unfortunately it blows like Wellington all along the coast for most of the year and you will see your washing heading to Ruapheu if it wasnt nailed to the clothesline. The mornings are picture perfect tho. Im sure some of the millionares are aware as they wander along the beach in their Sunday best. I guess unless they have telescopes they cannot tell whos wearing what or not and theres enough beach for us and them not to disturb or offend one another. I dont think it would put people off as there are spots where you cannot be seen from above unless they make a point of going out of their way, there not too many places where houses can view the beach either most will inland some.
Ian
Yes Linda is the beach matriarch still,  and yes you are correct about Back beach though it is no longer used as such and theres a gay place sprung up between Back beach and Tapuae,
Ah, I'd forgotten about that access - walking down from the cliff-top? (I was aware of some quite funn cop-chases there about 20 yeas ago.)
interestingly enuff the couple that have built the mansion above Tapuae are good friends with the previous mayor, so the council are well informed, and last stated by them when Kapiti beaches were okayed our mayor sanctioned Tapuae but saw no need to promote or signpost.
Indeed, I'd forgotten about that aspect too... which happened a number of years after the change of Council structure, which put paid to the intended 'designation' of Back Beach.

Cheers,
John

John Lowe [BrBnd]

Nov 21, 2011, 8:42:20 PM11/21/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
I was looking on the Tapuare Estates website it looks like an interesting development, it would be good to live on a chunk of land and not have to worry about having to farm it.
I wonder weather any potential buyer would know there is a naturist beach next to their potential new home.
also would this development put naturists off going to this beach, knowing there maybe people looking down on them.
I would guess that anyone who had a chat with an impending neighbour, wouldn't be left in any doubt about the naturist beach, after their first chat!

Given the time the naturists have been going there, and the continued presence of Linda, practically every day; I can't see it losing popularity, just due to the new neighbours... (One you get there you'll see that the layout is in some ways similar to the south part of Ototoka - 'looking down' isn't that practical...)

Cheers,
John

Mark Kennedy

Nov 21, 2011, 9:55:25 PM11/21/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,
            You don't by any chance have Lindas phone number so we can make contact when we go up there.
Thanks, Mark

Mark Kennedy

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:42:10 +1300

Ian Clarke

Nov 21, 2011, 10:33:28 PM11/21/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

No sorry I dont, and I dont know her last name either, how about that known her for 18 years or so, talk to her the streets, but I guess have never needed to contact her. However if its a great day she will be on the beach somewhere, her blond hair is now grey so shes easy to spot, dont tell I said that or she'll kick sand in my face.
Ian
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:33:28 +1300

John Lowe [BrBnd]

Nov 28, 2011, 5:27:13 PM11/28/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
Hi, we are heading up to the Coromandel next week, we will be staying at the Opoutere Beach Motor Camp.
Can anyone Please tell us a little bit more about the beach, where the naturist part of the beach is etc.
That camp is 'long & thin' (short side fronts the beach), and the usual rules apply: if you're first on the beach, you choose where you'd like to go. If others are already out (normally within about 50m either side of their exit point) then simply walk whatever distance feels comfortable. (You can go either north or south - most of the residents go in naked, but you aren't that likely to see them - there's about 9km of beach.)

Cheers,
John

Mark Kennedy

Dec 3, 2011, 8:50:09 PM12/3/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Gee John , I don't know which camp ground you are talking about, but Opoutere Coastal Camping Ground is far from 'long and thin'.
it is quite extensive with little nooks and crannies where you can camp, it is rustic but comfortable.
The only person that was nude on the beach was me, I chose to sunbathe a little further north of the exit from the camp as those staying there not nudists.
Mark.

Mark Kennedy

From: j....@xtra.co.nz
To: gona...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:27:13 +1300

p.carpenter

Dec 4, 2011, 6:33:12 AM12/4/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

I know the camp-ground you mention which is a fair way from
the beach. As Mark says, the north end of the beach is
great, and I've never had a problem there, its a little bit
of a walk from the camp-ground but well worth the effort.
The beach is just awesome.

Paul.

----- Original Message Follows -----

> Gee John , I don't know which camp ground you are talking
> about, but Opoutere Coastal Camping Ground is far from

> 'long and thin'.it is quite extensive with little nooks

> and crannies where you can camp, it is rustic but

> comfortable.The only person that was nude on the beach was

> me, I chose to sunbathe a little further north of the exit
> from the camp as those staying there not nudists.Mark.
>
> Mark Kennedy

Mark Kennedy

Dec 4, 2011, 2:41:45 PM12/4/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul and John,
                               We must be talking about two different camping grounds, I don't know where the one is you two are talking about is but the one we stayed at is ,is called the Opoutere Coastal Camping and the entrance is just before you leave the tarseal to go onto the gravel.
The Campground is almost right on the beach with a 200 metre walk through the pine forest to get onto the beach.
Mark.

Dec 5, 2011, 3:44:35 PM12/5/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Below a map of the camp area where Mark is talking about I think. Bottom left is the DOC/Public parking area with the path crossing the bridge towards the beach. The camping grounds are in the bush area to the left of the path and in summer you can see caravans and tents there. If this is not the camp grounds Mark is talking about, I wouldn't know where it would be.

Cheers,

Willem

image.png

image.png

Mark Kennedy

Dec 5, 2011, 5:27:00 PM12/5/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willem,
                   That is the Opoutere Coastal Camping Ground where we stayed, the office and managers house are the three octagonal looking buildings just off Ohui Rd.
Mark.
image.png

John Lowe [BrBnd]

Dec 6, 2011, 7:57:12 PM12/6/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
Gee John , I don't know which camp ground you are talking about, but Opoutere Coastal Camping Ground is far from 'long and thin'.
it is quite extensive with little nooks and crannies where you can camp, it is rustic but comfortable.
If you look at a google map of their grounds, you'll see that their road runs about 500m (toward the sea) and then there's a further 150m throught the trees to the sand. The accessible width is about 200m.

I call 650 x 200 'long & thin'.
The only person that was nude on the beach was me, I chose to sunbathe a little further north of the exit from the camp as those staying there not nudists.
Indeed, that's the normal situation there.

Cheers,
John

John Lowe [BrBnd]

Dec 6, 2011, 7:56:53 PM12/6/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Willem - that is indeed the camp-ground - the only 'normal' camp on that beach. (There are two or three other options for people to stay further north along that beach, but that's the only one which is easily accessible to the public.)

Cheers,
John

No virus found in this message.

image.png

Mark Kennedy

Dec 6, 2011, 10:02:48 PM12/6/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
oh well John we will beg to differ then.
Mark

Mark Kennedy

Subject: Re: [gonatural] Tapuae Beach
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 13:57:12 +1300

Mark Kennedy

Dec 6, 2011, 10:17:41 PM12/6/11
to gona...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
     Just before you reach the Opoutere Coastal Camping Ground there is a beach reserve carpark along with public toilets , the tracks run from there through some  pine forest ,you can either head south to the sandspit or north to other access points to the beach.
Care is needed at this time of the year as the NZ Dotterel are nesting on the sand so it is best to walk on the waters edge.
Mark.

Mark Kennedy

From: j....@xtra.co.nz
To: gona...@googlegroups.com