Fw: The Floodgate for Claims to Beaches has now Opened

Joyce Fleming

May 21, 2012, 6:04:08 PM5/21/12
to Linda Geeves, Jennie&Jeremy, Aitch & Alan, John Lowe, Joyce Fleming, Kevin Lundon, Nick Lowe, gona...@googlegroups.com

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:49 PM
Subject: The Floodgate for Claims to Beaches has now Opened

FLOODGATES FOR CLAIMS TO BEACHES HAS NOW OPENED

The Coastal Coalition warned that the law change would open the floodgates for claims by opportunistic tribal corporations wanting to gain ownership and control of our coast.

Inline image 1

This map from TV3 News in early May shows that this is now occurring with at least 21 coastal claims now lodged: http://www.3news.co.nz/Opponents-say-I-told-you-so-to-Foreshore-claims/tabid/1607/articleID/253487/Default.aspx

Claims include valuable whitebaiting areas with many tribes competing for the same coastal area.

Tribes have another 5 years to lodge claims. The process allows claims to be settled in secret by the Minister so there may be many other claims in the pipeline that the public is unaware of.

Please help stop this madness – support our Citizens Initiated Referendum to restore Crown ownership of the foreshore and seabed.

We need to collect 320,000 signatures in support of the CIR by the end of June to trigger a nation-wide referendum.

Referendum Forms for gathering signatures can be downloaded here>> or here: http://www.nzcpr.com/CoastalCoalitionCIR.pdf

Flyers for distributing into letterboxes can be downloaded here>> or here: http://www.nzcpr.com/cirad.pdf

You can help further by forwarding this email to all of your contacts.

With the number of claims snowballing and the CIR deadline looming, there is no time to lose.

Kind regards
Geoff Parker
Coastal Coalition CIR Coordinator
cma...@inbox.com
www.CoastalCoalition.co.nz

NZ-Map-Paddy_edited-1.jpg;pv162a80d917041d98.jpg