Cloud Sync always results in duplicate activities

marek k

May 27, 2024, 4:28:36 AMMay 27
to golden-cheetah-users
I have been using GC (currently on version GoldenCheetah_v3.7-DEV_x64) and typically always record my rides, which I then sync from GC to Strava. Recently, though, I've found that I cannot avoid having all my recent activities duplicated when restarting GC and then going through the automatic cloud sync where it pulls my activities from Strava at different times than what GC has saved for them (and some other attributes like descriptions that Strava automatically adds).

I don't see any way to configure this behavior, but if there's a specific reason for the behavior (like having GC and/or Strava in different timezones, etc) I'm happy to configure that at present i'm not sure how these activities are aligned by GC in the first place.

Ale Martinez

May 27, 2024, 9:57:23 AMMay 27
to golden-cheetah-users
El lunes, 27 de mayo de 2024 a la(s) 5:28:36 a.m. UTC-3, marek k escribió:
I have been using GC (currently on version GoldenCheetah_v3.7-DEV_x64) and typically always record my rides, which I then sync from GC to Strava. Recently, though, I've found that I cannot avoid having all my recent activities duplicated when restarting GC and then going through the automatic cloud sync where it pulls my activities from Strava at different times than what GC has saved for them (and some other attributes like descriptions that Strava automatically adds).

I don't see any way to configure this behavior, but if there's a specific reason for the behavior (like having GC and/or Strava in different timezones, etc) I'm happy to configure that at present i'm not sure how these activities are aligned by GC in the first place.

The likely reason is effectively  different time zones, you can confirm this looking at the starting time of duplicated activities. Starting date&time is the primary key for activities on GoldenCheetah.
I experienced this when travelling to Europe and just disabled auto-sync until the 30days default period banished, using Share > Strava > Sync you can avoid duplicates be downloaded again.
Honestly I never took the time to investigate a possible solution at the code level.
Message has been deleted

Ale Martinez

May 28, 2024, 10:17:44 AMMay 28
to golden-cheetah-users
In my use case this could be easily avoided just taking care to set my laptop TZ accordingly since I uploaded my workouts being there, but if you upload to Strava activities recorded at a location with different TZ than your current one, it is not that natural/convenient what you need to do to avoid the duplication so the above workaround may stil be necessary.

Mark Kusper

Jun 1, 2024, 3:30:25 AMJun 1
to Ale Martinez, golden-cheetah-users
I think your hypothesis is correct. I only encountered this problem after I started training/syncing between two different countries.

Would we be interested in a 'fix' for this behavior by accounting for timezone differences between the GC client and the cloud service? Seems like the Strava API does provide their timezone in the activity schema: https://developers.strava.com/docs/reference/#api-Activities-getActivityById

Happy to cut a PR if so.

Thanks,
Mark

On Mon, May 27, 2024, 6:24 PM Ale Martinez <amtri...@gmail.com> wrote:
El lunes, 27 de mayo de 2024 a la(s) 10:57:23 a.m. UTC-3, Ale Martinez escribió:
BYW, my working hypothesis is Strava uses the Time Zone of the activity location while GoldenCheetah uses the local Operating System Time Zone at import time.

Ale Martinez

Jun 1, 2024, 7:39:08 AMJun 1
to golden-cheetah-users
El sábado, 1 de junio de 2024 a la(s) 4:30:25 a.m. UTC-3, Mark Kusper escribió:
I think your hypothesis is correct. I only encountered this problem after I started training/syncing between two different countries.

Would we be interested in a 'fix' for this behavior by accounting for timezone differences between the GC client and the cloud service?

Yes, I think it would interesting, we accept PRs

Great, here you can find some resources whic may help  https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/wiki/Developers-guide