Crash even the new october release

Manuel Oberti

Oct 11, 2021, 4:49:28 AM10/11/21
to golden-cheetah-users
It may sound stange , but after prerelease august 2021 , I still have a crash.
Even with the new prerelease ocrober 2021
crash_1033_111021-2.log

marcen

Oct 11, 2021, 2:33:45 PM10/11/21
to golden-cheetah-users
When does CG crash for you?
For me, GC crashes only when switching to trends. Is under Windows 10 with Nvidia graphics card.
Is with me when I reinstall Komplet without old athletes.
What helps that GC no longer crashes is under options --> Metric Run Pace and Metric Swim Pace disable and restart CG. Then GC no longer crashes.
 Screenshot 2021-10-11 203133.PNG.jpg

Ale Martinez

Oct 11, 2021, 7:31:39 PM10/11/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Regrettably the information in the log file is not enough for debugging, especially without context information to recreate the issue.

There is a new version which may help for this, it is October pre-release plus 3 changes:

  1. Added Athlete > Settings to access the Athlete Settings dialog from any view
  2. A fix for a crash happening when you download a chart like  Summery by marcen from CloudDB without having previously installed the custom metrics it uses.
  3. GoldenCheetah.pdb added to the distribution to enable crash*.log files to reference source code file names and line numbers instead of just module plus hex offset so we can -hopefully- make sense of what was happening at the time of the crash.

marcen

Oct 11, 2021, 9:24:26 PM10/11/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Oops sorry.
Can an admin delete the 3 charts? I don't have them in the list on Windows anymore.
Then I can upload a corrected version.

marcen

Oct 11, 2021, 9:57:24 PM10/11/21
to golden-cheetah-users
For me, this version also crashes when I switch to trends.
With the trick described above CG works.
Screenshot 2021-10-12 035425.jpg
crash_0342_121021.log
crash_0342_121021.dmp

Ale Martinez

Oct 11, 2021, 10:05:40 PM10/11/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Try starting GoldenCheetah.exe from the file manager, symbol expansion for debugging doesn’t seem to work if you start it using a shortcut
Message has been deleted

Manuel Oberti

Oct 12, 2021, 4:18:03 AM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users

Thanks Ale , I send you the new log. I hope it will be useful to you

Thanks
crash_0837_121021.log

Ale Martinez

Oct 12, 2021, 7:46:05 AM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 12 de octubre de 2021 a la(s) 05:18:03 UTC-3, manuel...@gmail.com escribió:

Thanks Ale , I send you the new log. I hope it will be useful to you

Yes, much better now. It looks like the problem with your huge formula is back again: https://groups.google.com/g/golden-cheetah-users/c/bJCO8c3ck-c/m/FkuvCabCBAAJ

Manuel Oberti

Oct 12, 2021, 8:22:19 AM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks Ale......I deleted the user formula estpower and now GC works fine , but slower than the build 08.2021

But this problem with my formula was not alteady solved with prevoius versions ?
With the build 08.2021 i didn't have this problem with my formula

Thanks Ale

Ale Martinez

Oct 12, 2021, 8:48:02 AM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 12 de octubre de 2021 a la(s) 09:22:19 UTC-3, manuel...@gmail.com escribió:
Thanks Ale......I deleted the user formula estpower and now GC works fine , but slower than the build 08.2021

Yes, it was fixed by https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/commit/c3a1afa0a0c0d7d8e2c4c713c9e726f5b02d3ab1, but the problem of stack exhaustion with deeply nested expressions is back, likely due to other changes increasing stack usage.

I think changing Specification and DataFilter parameters to const reference, like we did for Result, Conan alleviate stack usage. I will give it a try.

Ale Martinez

Oct 12, 2021, 10:31:58 AM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Mark implemented this change and it works with your previously failing formula, installer available at https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Joern-R/goldencheetah-knhd8/builds/41116163/artifacts

Ale Martinez

Oct 12, 2021, 10:42:03 AM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El lunes, 11 de octubre de 2021 a la(s) 22:24:26 UTC-3, marcen escribió:
Oops sorry.
Can an admin delete the 3 charts? I don't have them in the list on Windows anymore.
Then I can upload a corrected version.

I deleted the one for Trends, but I think you should be able to do that using Tools > Maintain Cloud Contributions > Charts

WRT the crash you are reporting we would need a log with source file name and numbers, it can be obtained using the build I referenced before, starting from file manager.

marcen

Oct 12, 2021, 12:00:26 PM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks for deleting. I screwed up, they're no longer in my cloud list.

I took the version from Mark because GC also crashes.
Is also a complete new installation without old athletes.
crash_1743_121021.log
crash_1743_121021.dmp

Ale Martinez

Oct 12, 2021, 1:31:31 PM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 12 de octubre de 2021 a la(s) 13:00:26 UTC-3, marcen escribió:
Thanks for deleting. I screwed up, they're no longer in my cloud list.

I took the version from Mark because GC also crashes.
Is also a complete new installation without old athletes.

Looking at the crash log it seems eval is called with a NULL leaf pointer
>GoldenCheetah.exe!Leaf::eval+0x10f Core\DataFilter.cpp:3366

Which is treeroot from:
>GoldenCheetah.exe!DataFilter::evaluate+0x412 Core\DataFilter.cpp:3131

Generated by the parser from:
GoldenCheetah.exe!KPIOverviewItem::setDateRange+0x11c Charts\OverviewItems.cpp:999

Likely due to a malformed filter in a KPI tile.

At some point in this chain we need to check for a NULL pointer, IMO the easier and likely safer fix -since it would cover other cases- would be to check at https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/blob/9976746e49e6098b82f760354a06340330ab007d/src/Core/DataFilter.cpp#L3364, but perhaps Mark has a better solution.

marcen

Oct 12, 2021, 3:24:40 PM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Maybe the same problem.
When I want to insert a new Overview chart under trends GC also crashes.
Is also a complete new installation without old athletes and no activities important.
crash_2110_121021.log

Ale Martinez

Oct 12, 2021, 4:38:20 PM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 12 de octubre de 2021 a la(s) 16:24:40 UTC-3, marcen escribió:
Maybe the same problem.

It is not.

When I want to insert a new Overview chart under trends GC also crashes.
Is also a complete new installation without old athletes and no activities important.

I am afraid that edge case is not tested enough, unless you are explicitly testing it and plan to do something about it, I would suggest to import at least one activity...

Mark Liversedge

Oct 12, 2021, 5:20:55 PM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I can recreate the crash when adding an overview in trend view with no ride data available.

It is indeed an edge case that honestly I'd only expect a tester to try, but nonetheless we should fix it.
New and inexperienced users do all sorts of weird and wonderful things as they randomly press buttons !

Mark

Manuel Oberti

Oct 13, 2021, 3:23:34 AM10/13/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Great job Ale e Mark , with build 4213 all works correctly.
No problem with my formula

Thanks

Ale Martinez

Oct 13, 2021, 5:02:30 AM10/13/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 12 de octubre de 2021 a la(s) 14:31:31 UTC-3, Ale Martinez escribió:
El martes, 12 de octubre de 2021 a la(s) 13:00:26 UTC-3, marcen escribió:
Thanks for deleting. I screwed up, they're no longer in my cloud list.

I took the version from Mark because GC also crashes.
Is also a complete new installation without old athletes.

Looking at the crash log it seems eval is called with a NULL leaf pointer
>GoldenCheetah.exe!Leaf::eval+0x10f Core\DataFilter.cpp:3366

Which is treeroot from:
>GoldenCheetah.exe!DataFilter::evaluate+0x412 Core\DataFilter.cpp:3131

Generated by the parser from:
GoldenCheetah.exe!KPIOverviewItem::setDateRange+0x11c Charts\OverviewItems.cpp:999

Likely due to a malformed filter in a KPI tile.

marcen

Oct 13, 2021, 1:08:11 PM10/13/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Great, both crashes are gone with the latest version.
Thanks for the help and the time spent.

Rui_B

Oct 15, 2021, 1:51:18 AM10/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I'm running build 3.6 dev build 4008 on MacOS11.6... on a MacBookPro (Intel)

I'm still getting a crash , ~90% of the time,  selecting the Train mode. The work around I've come up with, is to plug in the Ant+ usb stick before selection of Trainer mode.

Occasionally I get a crash selecting Trends mode... I can't reproduce it, but it does happen often enough that I save any work I'm doing before making the selection.

With this latest build, I see an old problem is fixed - yay! ... the dark search field displaying dark fonts in macOS' dark mode... Thanks Mark.  Thank y'all who make this awesome platform possible.

Cheers

Rui

Salvatore Scafidi

Nov 21, 2021, 12:27:33 PM11/21/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I was sent to the forum to this conversation, but my crash happens only each time that I download a new ride.
It seems that when the 1st file is downloaded GC just disappears. No log found of what happens. and I have tried with from stratch install and athlete, same destiny.
I tried it also with Win7, no issue of any sorts.
I have copied the entire appdata from Win7 to Win10, still Win10 crashes

Thanks for whatever you can say

Ale Martinez

Nov 21, 2021, 2:24:11 PM11/21/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El domingo, 21 de noviembre de 2021 a la(s) 14:27:33 UTC-3, ssca...@gmail.com escribió:
I was sent to the forum to this conversation, but my crash happens only each time that I download a new ride.

Because we use the forum for technical support

It seems that when the 1st file is downloaded GC just disappears. No log found of what happens. and I have tried with from stratch install and athlete, same destiny.

crash*.log files are generated parallel to your athlete folder, the version linked in this thread has additional information when the error happens in GC code

I tried it also with Win7, no issue of any sorts.
I have copied the entire appdata from Win7 to Win10, still Win10 crashes

Salvatore Scafidi

Nov 23, 2021, 1:03:47 PM11/23/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Thank you @Ale Martinez
I tried both angle and SW. I also tried QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM =d3d11. nothing doing
Attached the log

TIA
crash_1901_231121.dmp
crash_1901_231121.log

Ale Martinez

Nov 23, 2021, 2:04:04 PM11/23/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 23 de noviembre de 2021 a la(s) 15:03:47 UTC-3, ssca...@gmail.com escribió:
Thank you @Ale Martinez
I tried both angle and SW. I also tried QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM =d3d11. nothing doing
Attached the log

According to the log the crash is happening in GC code, but to see exactly where, we need you to install the last build from https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Joern-R/goldencheetah-knhd8/builds/41629139/artifacts, and run it from the File Manager, not from a shortcut.

Salvatore Scafidi

Nov 24, 2021, 11:16:51 AM11/24/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Dear Ale
here attached the log and dmp of the newer version from W Explorer
crash_1708_241121.log
crash_1708_241121.dmp

Ale Martinez

Nov 24, 2021, 1:35:53 PM11/24/21
to golden-cheetah-users
According to the log the crash happens in a Data Processor configured to run automatically on save:Set XData.CdA from HR, it doesn’t seem to make any sense to run that DP on save, but it should not crash.
I would suggest to disable it to confirm it is the cause and, if this happens only on some files, attach one of them.

Salvatore Scafidi

Nov 25, 2021, 9:17:24 AM11/25/21
to golden-cheetah-users
works like a charm! no more crash. so it was the Xdata.CdA processing on Save.
Thank you very much!