Golden Cheetah always crashing in new pc

Andrea Sabba

Jul 1, 2024, 3:17:52 PM (5 days ago) Jul 1
to golden-cheetah-users
For a few weeks Golden Cheetah (both version 3.6 and version 3.7) has become practically unusable on my newly purchased PC. The PC specifications are as follows:
OS: Windows 11 pro
Intel Core I9-13900K
RAM 32GB
Video Card: GeForce RTX 4070

Golden Cheetah takes a few minutes to start up and once started, when I try to make it perform even the simplest operation (for example, update my weight), it crashes or freezes.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, even different versions, with no luck. I updated the video card drivers, again without success. The strange thing is that until a few weeks ago it worked normally, always quite slow but it didn't crash. What could I try to do to solve the problem?
See Attached file log.

Thank you
Andrea
crash_0012_010724.log

Ale Martinez

Jul 2, 2024, 7:28:16 AM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to golden-cheetah-users
Read the troubleshooting section of the wiki, there are notes on both graphics performance issues and crash diagnosis.

Andrea Sabba

Jul 2, 2024, 8:23:36 AM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Ale,
thank you for reply.
I already tried following the instructions on this link,

and I've read previous similar post, nothing seems to work.
I'll try again, but it's but  quite frustrating

Thank you
Andrea
Message has been deleted

Ale Martinez

Jul 2, 2024, 9:14:44 AM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 2 de julio de 2024 a la(s) 9:23:36 a.m. UTC-3, Andrea Sabba escribió:
Hi Ale,
thank you for reply.
I already tried following the instructions on this link,

I thought you didn't, because in the crash diagnosis wiki entry there are instruction about how to generate crash logs with source line numbers, and the one you attached didn't include them.

Andrea Sabba

Jul 2, 2024, 9:28:00 AM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to golden-cheetah-users
Yes I did, but maybe I misunderstood how to start golden cheetah from file manager instead of from a shortcut.
I'll try again and repost the correct crash log.

Thanks

Andrea

Ale Martinez

Jul 2, 2024, 11:28:26 AM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 2 de julio de 2024 a la(s) 10:28:00 a.m. UTC-3, Andrea Sabba escribió:
Yes I did, but maybe I misunderstood how to start golden cheetah from file manager instead of from a shortcut.
I'll try again and repost the correct crash log.

The alternative is to start from a command line, change current directory to were GoldenCheetah.exe is located and run, there is another wiki entry about command line options.

Ale Martinez

Jul 2, 2024, 12:55:18 PM (4 days ago) Jul 2
to golden-cheetah-users
BTW, on that kind of hardware GC should be quite fast once the initial cache refresh has finished, provided the disk is SSD and the graphics adapter is configured accordingly as explained in the wiki.