Stages Dash RDE file format import Support

BK

Oct 11, 2021, 3:19:47 PM10/11/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Would it be possible to add file import support for Stages Dash RDE file format? The RDE file format is used for the Stages L10 and original Dash units. I am aware that there are settings to convert to a FIT file format internally on my Dash L10 and on the Stages Link website. However, the Dash internal settings for conversion to FIT and their website conversion has proven inconsistent in reliability.

After much discussion with Stages customer support, I managed to secure a copy of the source code used by the original developer to covert RDE files to FIT file format. The source code is in the python programming language, something that I am presently not knowlegeable or skilled in. Are there any developers in this forum willing to look at the feasibility of utilizing or adapting the source code for use in Golden Cheetah?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Mark Liversedge

Oct 12, 2021, 8:02:19 AM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Send me the code and I'll see how easy it is..

Mark

BK

Oct 12, 2021, 11:16:49 AM10/12/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Mark. I sent the source code as an email attachment to your liversedge at gmail dot com address.There is no official documentation but the original developer mentioned that much of what one needed was in the code itself. Please keep me in the loop. Thanks.

BK

Oct 27, 2021, 9:54:31 AM10/27/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Mark...I managed to get the python code up and running. It appears that the RDE files are converted to CSV rather than FIT. There is a ton of interesting info in the CSV file. However, I do not know how to convert the CSV file into a file format suitable to import to GC.  I have made a request to Stages developers/management  to formally open source the conversion code - something that is still pending. I do realize that you are busy working on a final release of GC, nevertheless, if you can assist or point me in the right direction - that would be great. Cheers!

Ale Martinez

Oct 27, 2021, 11:29:43 AM10/27/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El miércoles, 27 de octubre de 2021 a la(s) 10:54:31 UTC-3, BK escribió:
Mark...I managed to get the python code up and running. It appears that the RDE files are converted to CSV rather than FIT. There is a ton of interesting info in the CSV file. However, I do not know how to convert the CSV file into a file format suitable to import to GC.

Since you are working in Python, you could generate a GoldenCheetah JSON file so you can include all the available data, standard and additional as XData, see https://groups.google.com/g/golden-cheetah-developers/c/PUCQzCJihQQ/m/QxVG6P07CQAJ

BK

Oct 28, 2021, 11:04:24 AM10/28/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks Ale. I will look into it. Cheers!

John Smith

May 22, 2022, 11:11:42 PM5/22/22
to golden-cheetah-users
As the unfortunate owner of a Stages Dash L10, I was wondering if there had been any progress. As BK said, the L10 does an unreliable job of handling the conversion internally. The backup option of using Stages Link's "download FIT" conversion hasn't worked for me since I got the Dash in August 2021. For a particularly important event that the dash failed to convert properly, I was able to download a CSV and manually reformat it to match GC's although that's quite tedious.

Is the Python code something that Stages would/did not want to become public?
Message has been deleted