Python version

H R

Jun 23, 2024, 8:55:10 PM (13 days ago) Jun 23
to golden-cheetah-users
Dear all,

I noticed that GC 3.6 uses Python 3.7 which is end-of-life. The newest python-sip also requires at least 3.8. Would it be possible in GC 3.7 to move to Python 3.12 which will receive security support until 2028? Perhaps it would also be nice to have the user option to override the required python version at your own risk.

Cheers,
Hendrik

Ale Martinez

Jun 24, 2024, 7:24:40 AM (12 days ago) Jun 24
to golden-cheetah-users
El domingo, 23 de junio de 2024 a la(s) 9:55:10 p.m. UTC-3, H R escribió:
Dear all,

I noticed that GC 3.6 uses Python 3.7 which is end-of-life. The newest python-sip also requires at least 3.8. Would it be possible in GC 3.7 to move to Python 3.12 which will receive security support until 2028?

Yes, and we will do that at some point, but it is a PITA since it involves changes and testing on 3 OS, not to mention support requests from existing users with their own Python install rendered unusable…

Perhaps it would also be nice to have the user option to override the required python version at your own risk.

You can use the Python version you want provided you build from source, but after that you need that exact Python version at runtime. Regrettably that is a Python embedding restriction, AFAIK.

R.J.M van den Biggelaar

Jul 5, 2024, 6:32:50 AM (yesterday) Jul 5
to golden-cheetah-users
What would be the solution ? or quick fix for this issue? I have the same problem

Ale Martinez

Jul 5, 2024, 9:34:25 AM (24 hours ago) Jul 5
to golden-cheetah-users
El viernes, 5 de julio de 2024 a la(s) 7:32:50 a.m. UTC-3, R.J.M van den Biggelaar escribió:
What would be the solution ?

This is a FOSS project and, as commented above and documented in the wiki, you can use a different Python version building from source.
The Python version used at runtime has to be the same as the one used at build time.