Editing the Wiki

Steve Edmonds

Apr 25, 2024, 5:59:48 PMApr 25
to golden-cheetah-users
I could not find a guide to editing the Wiki. I started to add some information including some screen snaps.
I found I can drag and drop an image into the Wiki which creates a url like ....github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/assets/117334/f397a783-e06f-4827-8c8f-d29b680a4d5c
I noticed other images are located in raw.githubusercontent.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/master/doc/wiki/
Is there a preference on image location as I received the notification that File uploads require push access to this repository.

Are images in github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/assets deleted when they are no longer linked or do they keep accumulating.

Ale Martinez

Apr 25, 2024, 8:34:53 PMApr 25
to golden-cheetah-users
Upload images to GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/master/doc/wiki/ was the preferred method but it requires to make a Pull Request (or informally request the images be uploaded here) and reference updates after the PR is merged (or the images uploaded) by a maintainer. Some time ago a "contributor" changed several wiki pages replacing images and adding new ones in its own repository, then became offended and deleted its Github account letting a lot of dangling links to be fixed...

Drag and drop is relatively new (https://github.blog/changelog/2022-02-14-upload-images-to-wiki-pages/) and much more convenient, but I don't know how it works from a maintenance POV.

Steve Edmonds

Apr 26, 2024, 4:37:33 PMApr 26
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com

Poncho

Apr 27, 2024, 4:46:08 AMApr 27
On 26.04.24 02:34, Ale Martinez wrote:
> Upload images to GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/master/doc/wiki/
> <http://raw.githubusercontent.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/master/doc/wiki/> was
> the preferred method but it requires to make a Pull Request (or informally
> request the images be uploaded here) and reference updates after the PR is
> merged (or the images uploaded) by a maintainer.

Since this is all binary data, storing it in a git repo is not ideal.

And it's about 2/3 of the size of the source tarball:
The current source tarball is 90mb without the doc/wiki directory it
would be 59mb

So in my opinion, using the drag'n'drop uploader and depreciating the
master/doc/wiki/ folder in git would be the way to go forward.

Poncho

Apr 27, 2024, 4:48:40 AMApr 27
On 27.04.24 10:45, Poncho wrote:
> And it's about 2/3 of the size of the source tarball:
> The current source tarball is 90mb without the doc/wiki directory it
> would be 59mb

That's 1/3

Excuse my math :D

Ale Martinez

Apr 27, 2024, 11:52:08 AMApr 27
to golden-cheetah-users
I am not so sure... I think first we need to understand who owns the uploaded by dropping assets / what happens if the contributor become "ghost".

Poncho

Apr 27, 2024, 12:58:42 PMApr 27
On 27.04.24 17:52, Ale Martinez wrote:
> I am not so sure... I think first we need to understand who owns the
> uploaded by dropping assets / what happens if the contributor become
> "ghost".

Well, I'm not gonna delete my account to test that :D

I've added the new splashscreen to the wiki and it ended up as:
https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/assets/781063/2bc2eaef-594a-4f8e-9c23-041714080411

So I'm pretty sure it belongs to the GoldenCheetah account and not to my
personal one. (as my username doesn't appear in the url at all)

Mark Liversedge

Apr 28, 2024, 4:05:50 AMApr 28
to golden-cheetah-users

Oriol Garrote

Apr 29, 2024, 4:28:41 PMApr 29
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello, I found a good Idea to update the wiki and a way I can contribute in some way to the project.
Looking for some documentation I found this GitHub Wiki How-To.
  • I've tried to clone the wiki with GitHub desktop but I can't (it says it doesn't exist) I don't know if is something related to permissions for the wiki.
  • Regarding the images in this How-To explains how to upload the images in the wiki and reference them avoiding to use the structure /master/doc/wiki. But this solution requires to be able to clone the wiki repo and edit it locally. Using the web interface with drag-and-drop it will continue to use the /doc/wiki folder.

El dia diumenge, 28 d’abril del 2024 a les 10:05:50 UTC+2, Mark Liversedge va escriure:

Steve Edmonds

Apr 29, 2024, 8:41:00 PMApr 29
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Drag and drop of images doesn't seem to use github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/tree/master/doc/wiki but stores the image somewhere and references it something like https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/assets/117334/9e89cb1a-8ca0-45be-b43e-bd643d465f4d in the wiki. When loaded from the previous example URL the image has a URL from S3 as below.
https://github-production-user-asset-6210df.s3.amazonaws.com/117334/326112374-9e89cb1a-8ca0-45be-b43e-bd643d465f4d.png?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAVCODYLSA53PQK4ZA%2F20240430%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20240430T000401Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=c660dcbfcb6218e5b601b2f91798640d74f89445d0d089cbd536fe6d19785e37&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=117334&key_id=0&repo_id=233792

I am not able to locate these assets so far under the GC tree or in an archive of the source. Possibly it is a hidden folder. Regarding the content at the URL posted by Mark, is the paragraph starting " All artefacts stored within the GoldenCheetah Source Code Repository.." adequate or could the wording be more general " All artefacts referenced from the GoldenCheetah Source Code Repository.."

Oriol Garrote

Apr 30, 2024, 2:10:40 AMApr 30
to golden-cheetah-users
Steve, have you tried to clone the wiki? Were you successful?

Another option is to upload images in /doc/wiki where we can access after cloning the GC repo and update the wiki referencing the images there.

El dia dimarts, 30 d’abril del 2024 a les 2:41:00 UTC+2, Steve Edmonds va escriure:

Ale Martinez

Apr 30, 2024, 5:16:10 PMApr 30
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 30 de abril de 2024 a la(s) 3:10:40 a.m. UTC-3, Oriol Garrote escribió:
Another option is to upload images in /doc/wiki where we can access after cloning the GC repo and update the wiki referencing the images there.

This option (git clone https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah.wiki.git) works ok on Linux, and I assume it should be the case on macOS, on Windows there is one file with '?' in the name which fails and should be renamed. I think to create an images or media folder there would be a good idea to reduce the code repo size as pointed by Poncho above, but to move existing images requires to update all existing references, bonus point is the wiki repo would become self-contained and could be used off-line, eventually.

OTOH editing pages using GitHub online editor and adding images by dropping them onto it seems to be simpler and more amenable for contributors.

Ale Martinez

May 1, 2024, 4:27:37 PMMay 1
to golden-cheetah-users
El martes, 30 de abril de 2024 a la(s) 6:16:10 p.m. UTC-3, Ale Martinez escribió:
El martes, 30 de abril de 2024 a la(s) 3:10:40 a.m. UTC-3, Oriol Garrote escribió:
Another option is to upload images in /doc/wiki where we can access after cloning the GC repo and update the wiki referencing the images there.

This option (git clone https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah.wiki.git) works ok on Linux, and I assume it should be the case on macOS, on Windows there is one file with '?' in the name which fails and should be renamed.

Oriol Garrote

May 1, 2024, 6:19:05 PMMay 1
to golden-cheetah-users
Thanks Ale! Now I've successfully cloned the wiki.

El dia dimecres, 1 de maig del 2024 a les 22:27:37 UTC+2, Ale Martinez va escriure: