Installation best practise for Windows

Marcus Zurhorst

Oct 13, 2021, 2:05:05 AM10/13/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi all,

I was reading that one shall not install GC versions over each other. Is this a general instruction for all GC updates on Windows, or is this specific for development versions only?

Of course I installed one version over the other, since I did not expect this limitation.

So, what is the best practise to do installations on Windows? Exporting a backup of my user, and re-import after the installation of the new GC version?

Can I still do this now or is my user data already "impacted"?
So far, I have not done anything fancy. I only imported the past years of Strava training history etc, which could be repeated when necessary.

Thanks for your advice.

Best regards,
  Marcus

Ale Martinez

Oct 13, 2021, 4:58:44 AM10/13/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El miércoles, 13 de octubre de 2021 a la(s) 03:05:05 UTC-3, marcusz...@gmail.com escribió:
Hi all,

I was reading that one shall not install GC versions over each other. Is this a general instruction for all GC updates on Windows, or is this specific for development versions only?

It’s general and it refers to the application, not the data.

Of course I installed one version over the other, since I did not expect this limitation.

So, what is the best practise to do installations on Windows?

 If you plan to use the same folder to install a newer version, it is safer to uninstall the current one before. Uninstalling doesn’t affect your data.

Exporting a backup of my user, and re-import after the installation of the new GC version?

Backup is recommended as a general practice, but it is not necessary to restore one to install a new version.

Can I still do this now or is my user data already "impacted"?

Yes, what you can’t do without a previous backup is to install a previous version.

So far, I have not done anything fancy. I only imported the past years of Strava training history etc, which could be repeated when necessary.

After a while using GC you will likely have additional data not recoverable via Strava sync