Processing flagged HRV data

Guy Melville

Apr 2, 2021, 3:53:23 PM4/2/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Hello,

I have some HR R-R data recorded by a Wahoo app on my phone.  For some reason, the R-R data records twice for each second. Every second value is a zero value with a -1 flag.

I can plt R-R filtering using the flag. However, the HRV mmsd on the summary chart is not calculated. This is presumably because of the zero-valued data.

Is there a way to remove the bad data from the R-R data?

Best regards,

Guy

Ale Martinez

Apr 2, 2021, 4:33:54 PM4/2/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El viernes, 2 de abril de 2021 a la(s) 16:53:23 UTC-3, guy.t.m...@gmail.com escribió:
Hello,

I have some HR R-R data recorded by a Wahoo app on my phone.  For some reason, the R-R data records twice for each second. Every second value is a zero value with a -1 flag.

I can plt R-R filtering using the flag. However, the HRV mmsd on the summary chart is not calculated. This is presumably because of the zero-valued data.

It is likely not.

Is there a way to remove the bad data from the R-R data?

R-R data with -1 flag are automatically discarded, the problem you have is unrelated to this.

Guy Melville

Apr 5, 2021, 11:08:31 AM4/5/21
to Ale Martinez, golden-cheetah-users
Hi Ale,x
How are you?

Thanks for your reply.

The mmsd value given on the overview for these activities is given as zero. If the bad data is being removed, what else could be causing the issue?

Best regards,

Guy

Ale Martinez

Apr 5, 2021, 11:46:40 AM4/5/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El lunes, 5 de abril de 2021 a la(s) 12:08:31 UTC-3, guy.t.m...@gmail.com escribió:
Hi Ale,x
How are you?

Thanks for your reply.

The mmsd value given on the overview for these activities is given as zero. If the bad data is being removed, what else could be causing the issue?

Bad data is ignored, but to have a valid rMSSD you need at least 3 consecutives good values, sorry.

Guy Melville

Apr 5, 2021, 12:04:04 PM4/5/21
to Ale Martinez, golden-cheetah-users
The bad data is every alternate value.  It should work, if I delete the first 3 bad data rows.

Thanks

Guy

Ale Martinez

Apr 5, 2021, 12:14:35 PM4/5/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El lunes, 5 de abril de 2021 a la(s) 13:04:04 UTC-3, guy.t.m...@gmail.com escribió:
The bad data is every alternate value.  It should work, if I delete the first 3 bad data rows.

Well, that will likely give you a non-zero value, but that doesn't mean that value makes any sense.

Guy Melville

Apr 5, 2021, 12:17:01 PM4/5/21
to Ale Martinez, golden-cheetah-users
Why not?

Ale Martinez

Apr 5, 2021, 12:23:24 PM4/5/21
to golden-cheetah-users

Guy Melville

Apr 5, 2021, 12:41:01 PM4/5/21
to Ale Martinez, golden-cheetah-users

Ah, but I'll still have consequtive second by second  points.

Please see the original data file for you to judge upon.

Guy

2021-04-01-121156-UBERDROIDDA9A-34-0.fit

Ale Martinez

Apr 5, 2021, 1:14:10 PM4/5/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El lunes, 5 de abril de 2021 a la(s) 13:41:01 UTC-3, guy.t.m...@gmail.com escribió:

Ah, but I'll still have consequtive second by second  points.

As explained in the article, there is a minimum duration for rMSSD measures to make sense, so you would need to remove all flagged data points, or at least for a reasonably long interval, not just the first 3.

Guy Melville

Apr 5, 2021, 4:18:44 PM4/5/21
to Ale Martinez, golden-cheetah-users
Please excuse me, but I am a little lost by your explanation.

My data set contains 2 measurements for each time-stamp.
The GC algorithm ignores flagged bad data

In which case, I should have a continuous timeseries from which to calculate the mmsd value for the duration of the activity.

Or are you saying that GC ignores flagged data, but only uses the largest continuous good data set to calculate the value.

In which case, is there a mechanism within GC to delete the flagged bad data rows?

Many thanks for your advice.

Best regards,

Guy

Ale Martinez

Apr 5, 2021, 6:11:58 PM4/5/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El lunes, 5 de abril de 2021 a la(s) 17:18:44 UTC-3, guy.t.m...@gmail.com escribió:
Please excuse me, but I am a little lost by your explanation.

My data set contains 2 measurements for each time-stamp.

That is not supported by the filter algorithm nor HRV metrics, I am afraid you would need to talk with the originator of that file or use other APP to record HRV data.

The GC algorithm ignores flagged bad data

In which case, I should have a continuous timeseries from which to calculate the mmsd value for the duration of the activity.

Or are you saying that GC ignores flagged data, but only uses the largest continuous good data set to calculate the value.

In which case, is there a mechanism within GC to delete the flagged bad data rows?

Rows can be deleted manually in Editor using the row menu, or by script using a Python Data Processor.

Guy Melville

Apr 14, 2021, 11:39:44 AM4/14/21
to Ale Martinez, golden-cheetah-users
Hi Alex et al,

How are you?

I followed this up with 4iiii and Wahoo.

4iiii say they broadcast contiguous R-R data, one data line for each time-stamp. Wahoo say that the app wasn't meant to export R-R data and are looking into it.

May I request a feature on the R-R data processing in GC that the good data be can be used in HRV stats if good and bad data exist for the same timestamp?

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Guy

Ale Martinez

Apr 14, 2021, 12:02:12 PM4/14/21
to golden-cheetah-users

As I commented before, there are other free apps which ARE intended to record and export R-R data you can try s.t. https://elitehrv.com/

May I request a feature on the R-R data processing in GC that the good data be can be used in HRV stats if good and bad data exist for the same timestamp?

Sorry, I have no intention to do that change.