Power spikes during training

dejoere

Apr 14, 2021, 1:53:29 PM4/14/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Problem: During my training I get random power spikes/drops, this makes it hard to read my graph and my live w' bal is not correct anymore. And my interval blocks becomes 10 * smaller.

My polar V650 does not have this problem because I think he applies some kind on the fly power smoothing.

Can I set this up for GC? because its pretty annoying to see your interval blocks become tiny.

Kind regards

Ale Martinez

Apr 14, 2021, 2:51:26 PM4/14/21
to golden-cheetah-users

Donatello Parigino

Apr 15, 2021, 4:00:21 AM4/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I also had the same issue and followed your advise.
This morning I did a rapid test and now the behavior seems to be better.
I will be more precise tomorrow, after an actual training with new setup.

Thanks!

marco...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2021, 11:45:33 AM4/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I've already reported that same issue.
Notice that Sufferfest, FulGaz and Rouvy apps, in the exact same set up, are not subject to those spikes ever. Not to mention Garmin watch but this in on the bike so in a different location.
Worth to mention that I did tried an extension with no improvements.
I use Golden Cheetah to play my workouts but I don't save it having to import the activity  from Strava ( coming from Garmin Connect).

Regards,

Ale Martinez

Apr 15, 2021, 1:31:15 PM4/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El jueves, 15 de abril de 2021 a la(s) 12:45:33 UTC-3, marco...@gmail.com escribió:
I've already reported that same issue.
Notice that Sufferfest, FulGaz and Rouvy apps, in the exact same set up, are not subject to those spikes ever. Not to mention Garmin watch but this in on the bike so in a different location.
Worth to mention that I did tried an extension with no improvements.

BTLE is a more robust protocol than ANT+, if available it may worth the change.

marco...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2021, 2:10:03 PM4/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Ale,

Good you mentioned Trainerroad because I've  forgotten I had tested them as well for a month using exactly the same set up (ANT+) and have never got power spikes.
If it was WIFI interference I would probably had power spikes on the other softwares I mentioned at least one time but no.
I'm not sure but it seams like the power spikes are correlated with  "brake fault" messages that keep coming on the screen during the workouts.

Thank you,

Ale Martinez

Apr 15, 2021, 5:38:51 PM4/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El jueves, 15 de abril de 2021 a la(s) 15:10:03 UTC-3, marco...@gmail.com escribió:
Hi Ale,

Good you mentioned Trainerroad because I've  forgotten I had tested them as well for a month using exactly the same set up (ANT+) and have never got power spikes.
If it was WIFI interference I would probably had power spikes on the other softwares I mentioned at least one time but no.

Unless they are filtering them, which we don't and won't do, if it depends on me.

I'm not sure but it seams like the power spikes are correlated with  "brake fault" messages that keep coming on the screen during the workouts.

In february we merged a contribution to fix the "Brake Fault" issue over ANT+/FE-C on some TACX models, it is included in current snapshot but not in dev builds: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/pull/3818

Donatello Parigino

Apr 16, 2021, 10:03:25 AM4/16/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Confirmed! If you configure only the ANT+/FE-C device by disabling "Power sensor" and "Speed + Cadence" sensor then the spike issue is resolved.
All become very stable.

Thank you!

marco...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 11:17:17 AM4/16/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi,

I have "Power sensor" disabled already but my trainer does not broadcast cadence so this is not an option to me and speed comes together once it as combo.

Tks,

Message has been deleted

Ale Martinez

Apr 18, 2021, 7:46:52 AM4/18/21
to golden-cheetah-users
El viernes, 16 de abril de 2021 a la(s) 12:17:17 UTC-3, marco...@gmail.com escribió:
Hi,

I have "Power sensor" disabled already but my trainer does not broadcast cadence so this is not an option to me and speed comes together once it as combo.

More than one speed source can provoke speed spikes, but it is not likely related to power spikes.

Unless you selected a virtual power curve in add device wizard, which is a bad idea anyway when you have another power source s.t.  a power meter or smart trainer.

dejoere

Apr 29, 2021, 6:00:35 PM4/29/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I tested the suggested solution and if worked like a charm ! Thnx for the support ! To bad I could not find it in the documentation.