Issues with ANT+ on MacBook Pro

Dave Heald

Nov 13, 2018, 3:33:59 PM11/13/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi all,

I'm unable to get my MacBook Pro (Running Mac OS 10.14.1 with USB-C ports) to recognise my Garmin ANT+ stick in any programs, mainly to use GC in train mode.

It's picked up by the Mac OS, and listed as a USB connection, but GC (V3.5 1810) won't get past the search screen when I try to add an ANT+ device. Garmin Connect also doesn't recognise it if I try to add it in there? (I'm not running the two programs at the same time).

The ANT+ stick works perfectly on another Mac so I know it's fine. Perhaps it's something in the USB-C to USB-A adaptor?

If anybody has any experience or ideas, then please let me know!

Dave

Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 20.20.43.png

Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 20.21.03.png

Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 20.24.22.png

Dave Heald

Nov 13, 2018, 3:48:54 PM11/13/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Edit - Garmin Express does recognise the stick - I've just not got any watches etc to connect to it, but its attempts and searches.

TJDunnigan

Nov 14, 2018, 4:26:11 PM11/14/18
to golden-cheetah-users
I am experiencing the same problem (running current Dev version). MacOS 10.14.1, with USB-C ports and two different USB-C -> USB-A adaptors.
GC does not recognize the presence of my ANT+ stick.
BigRingVR and Wahoo apps work fine with the same configuration.

Dave Heald

Nov 15, 2018, 4:18:00 PM11/15/18
to golden-cheetah-users
I've tried downloading V3.4 and still get the same results... New technology eh...

Chris Cleeland

Nov 15, 2018, 5:09:37 PM11/15/18
to Dave Heald, golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like it might be a problem with libusb, then.  Perhaps there are some diagnostic tests you could compile/run?  I'll try to take a look tonight.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 3:18 PM Dave Heald <daveh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've tried downloading V3.4 and still get the same results... New technology eh...

Chris Cleeland

TJDunnigan

Nov 15, 2018, 5:11:18 PM11/15/18
to golden-cheetah-users
I'd be happy to help. Will get a dump of specific USB data tomorrow.

Dave Heald

Nov 17, 2018, 2:47:41 PM11/17/18
to golden-cheetah-users
If you need to me to try anything, just ask!

TJDunnigan

Nov 17, 2018, 3:04:21 PM11/17/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Here is the output of ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 -l

+-o ANT USBStick2@14300000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x1000221ce, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 11>

  |     {

  |       "sessionID" = 310188653867099

  |       "iManufacturer" = 1

  |       "bNumConfigurations" = 1

  |       "idProduct" = 4104

  |       "bcdDevice" = 256

  |       "Bus Power Available" = 250

  |       "USB Address" = 1

  |       "bMaxPacketSize0" = 32

  |       "iProduct" = 2

  |       "iSerialNumber" = 3

  |       "bDeviceClass" = 0

  |       "Built-In" = No

  |       "locationID" = 338690048

  |       "bDeviceSubClass" = 0

  |       "bcdUSB" = 512

  |       "USB Product Name" = "ANT USBStick2"

  |       "PortNum" = 3

  |       "non-removable" = "no"

  |       "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}

  |       "bDeviceProtocol" = 0

  |       "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"

  |       "IOPowerManagement" = {"DevicePowerState"=0,"CurrentPowerState"=3,"CapabilityFlags"=65536,"MaxPowerState"=4,"DriverPowerState"=3}

  |       "kUSBCurrentConfiguration" = 1

  |       "Device Speed" = 1

  |       "USB Vendor Name" = "Dynastream Innovations"

  |       "idVendor" = 4047

  |       "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"

  |       "USB Serial Number" = "123"

  |       "IOClassNameOverride" = "IOUSBDevice"

  |     }

Derek Clegg

Dec 8, 2018, 6:04:13 AM12/8/18
to golden-cheetah-users
any fix yet?

TJDunnigan

Dec 8, 2018, 9:41:53 AM12/8/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Nope.

Dave Heald

Dec 12, 2018, 11:51:02 AM12/12/18
to golden-cheetah-users
Just to bump this, and confirm TJDunnigan's findings, I ran my normal setup (ANT+ Power, HR, Speed) using Maximum Trainer, and everything worked as it should. But still no ANT+ in GC...

Has anybody had any success using USB-C on any system, or is it just an issue with the Mac build?

Derek Clegg

Jan 1, 2019, 10:18:10 AM1/1/19
to golden-cheetah-users
bump

Michał Sz,

Jan 5, 2019, 12:54:34 PM1/5/19
to golden-cheetah-users
I am using the ANT+ with USB-C > A adapter to get readings from my ANT+ scale...
Had to install drivers on Mac (form SRM site) and make sure the Garmin Express is not i started. I also use the Android File Transfer that has to be deactivated. \

Derek Clegg

Jan 24, 2019, 10:38:12 AM1/24/19
to golden-cheetah-users
Attempted again today to get this working.

I opened 'about this mac', then clicked on 'system report' and then on 'USB' under hardware section and low and behold I saw that the Mac had recognised 'ANT USB-m stick' on USB 2.0 hub on USB 3.0 Bus

So I carried the laptop to the pain cave, switched on the smart trainer and was able to connect to it from GC with the FEC option.

Press the red power button in train screen and it goes green when it connects to trainer, press the play button and begin your workout

The only issue I need to solve now is GC never read more than 49 watts from my trainer, so I'm guessing I need to play around with the trainers power curve settings but at least its all working

Tomasz Białas

Feb 11, 2019, 4:54:45 PM2/11/19
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi

How did you manage this?

I have MacBook Pro with macOs Sierra (10.13.6), latest GC DEV Build, "Dynastream" USB2 ANT+ Stick. No luck as for now connecting anything to GC. Even HR Strap, Cadence sensor, not to mention about my smart trainer.
Zwift works perfectly. GC on Windows with the same USB Stick works perfectly as well.
No Garmin Connect running on my Mac during the GC session.

Any help? any news about potentiall improvment?

Derek Clegg

Feb 11, 2019, 5:04:13 PM2/11/19
to golden-cheetah-users
I did not do anything to fix this, it just started working one day so maybe it was OSX bug patched by Apple?

My power meter, cadence sensor and smart trainer all connect and feed data over ANT+ to GC no problems, however my heart rate monitor does not but I can live with that as I'm really only interested in power.

Running Mac OS 10.12.6 here

TJDunnigan

Feb 12, 2019, 10:04:09 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users
I still have not been able to detect any ANT devices on my MacBook Pro with USB C. My OS is fully updated and it is connected to my ANT device. I tried David's routine and it made no difference on my system. I can use BigRingVR via the same setup, so I'm confident the problem lies with the GC implementation of ANT.

Tomasz Białas

Feb 12, 2019, 10:08:28 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users, TJDunnigan
Hi

The same thing on my setup. There is no problem with my trainer, HR strap, cadence sensor on Zwift running on the same macOS. But in GC there is no possibility to connect them. When using the same hardware on Windows with latest DEV build of GC there is no problems. It has to be issue with GC on macOS

TB

Derek Clegg

Feb 12, 2019, 10:11:25 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users
If it works with Bigring it should also work with GC

I have successfully ran Bigring, Zwift and GC on my MacBook

Does your ANT dongle show up ok in the USB section of the system report in "about this Mac" ?  (see attached screenshot), previously mine did not, but since it started showing up there everything started working
usbant.png

Derek Clegg

Feb 12, 2019, 10:16:57 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users
how can it be "issue with GC on macOS" when I am running MacOS and it works fine for me (and others)?

I am running GC 3.4 build id 3957
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golden-cheetah-users+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
gctrain.png

Tomasz Białas

Feb 12, 2019, 10:21:36 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users, Derek Clegg
Yes it shows.

Even more - Golden Cheetach knows about this stick - when I start trying to connect with this stick UNplugged I’m getting different screen.

Unplugged

Plugged-in

…but unfortunately nothing never found.

On the same computer Zwift  gets connection with HR strap instantly. Only HR here on screenshot as trainer is in different room.

Tomasz Białas

Feb 12, 2019, 10:26:43 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users, Derek Clegg
Hi

Maybe that’s the issue - I’ve joined to thread where someone on the begging mentioned that he’s using latest DEV build. As I am.

TB
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golden-cheetah-u...@googlegroups.com.

TJDunnigan

Feb 12, 2019, 10:43:30 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users
Yes, I'm using the latest DEV build, also.

Derek Clegg

Feb 12, 2019, 10:47:27 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users
your screenshots are too small to view
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golden-cheetah-users+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Tomasz Białas

Feb 12, 2019, 10:55:49 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users, Derek Clegg
It was my intention not to send to big files. Are screenshots more visible now?

On 12 Feb 2019, 16:47 +0100, Derek Clegg <derekc...@gmail.com>, wrote:
your screenshots are too small to view
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golden-cheetah-u...@googlegroups.com.

Derek Clegg

Feb 12, 2019, 11:19:18 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users
thanks a lot easier to view now

all is good with your ant dongle on the OSX side of things

GC either does not see your dongle or can not use it to communicate with your sensors

try the same version of GC as me and see if that helps

GC3.4 build 3957 or any 3.4 version really instead of latest dev build

good luck

jim smyth

Feb 12, 2019, 11:48:13 AM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users
What about looking at the goldencheetah.log file?  I run 3.4 and all is fine.  I cannot get ant+ working on 3.5 and the log file shows where it is failing:

Debug: ANT device reset was not acknowledged !...try again
Debug: ANT device reset was not acknowledged !...try again
Debug: ANT device reset was not acknowledged !...try again
Debug: ANT device reset was not acknowledged !...try again
Debug: ANT+ reset not acknowledged, closing..

Maarten

Feb 12, 2019, 6:14:29 PM2/12/19
to golden-cheetah-users
I'm having a similar issue with suunto movestick mini and Macbook pro running Mojave. Stick is recognized fine in system report, but GC won't communicate. In fact, on the same machine, running GC under windows 10 via virtualbox everything works fine, and my ant+ devices are quickly recognised... Running the latest development build.

Karl Billeter

Feb 13, 2019, 11:45:03 AM2/13/19
to golden-cheetah-users
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 03:14:29PM -0800, Maarten wrote:

> I'm having a similar issue with suunto movestick mini and Macbook pro
> running Mojave. Stick is recognized fine in system report, but GC won't
> communicate. In fact, on the same machine, running GC under windows 10 via

Not an area I know about but I'm curious if giving GC Full Disk Access in
Mojave's new System Preferences -> Security & Privacy panel makes a
difference..

Mark Liversedge

Feb 13, 2019, 11:52:15 AM2/13/19
to golden-cheetah-users
I may have caused the issue with the latest build. I need to check the build I used since I was playing with different versions of libusb prior to performing the build and may have inadvertently broken it (!).

Will check at the weekend and report back.

Mark

Tomasz Białas

Feb 13, 2019, 5:32:39 PM2/13/19
to golden-cheetah-users, Mark Liversedge
Thank you

It's good news for me :)

Tomek

Chris Cleeland

Feb 14, 2019, 10:15:29 AM2/14/19
to Mark Liversedge, golden-cheetah-users
I might vote for this change.  I tried running this same dev build on El Cap last night and it ran just dandy until I tried to do something USB-ish (find ANT+ devices), at which point it crashed in a blaze of glory.

I need to verify, but I believe the previous dev build (oct 2018) runs fine.

In my case, moving beyond el cap is not an option; it's an early 2009 mac mini that sits in my training area and doesn't support running later versions.  I've tried the hacks and they lack sufficient functionality to make them usable.

I suppose I could install linux in another partition...

Chris Cleeland

Tomasz Białas

Feb 17, 2019, 11:27:18 AM2/17/19
to golden-cheetah-users, Mark Liversedge
Hi Mark

Have you been able to verify this issue?

Tomek
On 13 Feb 2019, 17:52 +0100, Mark Liversedge <liver...@gmail.com>, wrote:

I may have caused the issue with the latest build. I need to check the build I used since I was playing with different versions of libusb prior to performing the build and may have inadvertently broken it (!).

Will check at the weekend and report back.

Mark

Dave Heald

Feb 26, 2019, 2:29:07 PM2/26/19
to golden-cheetah-users
Still got the same issue on the new DEV1903 build.  ☹️

Tomasz Białas

Feb 26, 2019, 3:26:06 PM2/26/19
to golden-cheetah-users, Dave Heald
I worked for me. Try to unplug & plug again USB stick before you start GC. I’ve noticed initially that it didn’t find any ANT devices. But after replugging my USB ANT+ suddenly it worked.

Just wanted to say thank you guys for fixing this up.

Tb

Dave Heald

Feb 28, 2019, 12:12:18 PM2/28/19
to golden-cheetah-users
No, sadly still no connection to any ANT+ devices, which are being recognised in other programs. I've also just noticed there is no bluetooth connection either when I try to go through that as an alternative. I know the bluetooth is transmitting, as again I can pick that up in other applications.

Tomasz Białas

Feb 28, 2019, 12:51:46 PM2/28/19
to Dave Heald, golden-che...@googlegroups.com
That’s strange

In my case it looks like this. GC DEV 3.5 build 1903. An only HR strap on the picture, case I have only this here. But at home it connects to smart trainer, power meter etc with no problem.

Tb
On 28 Feb 2019, 18:12 +0100, 'Dave Heald' via golden-cheetah-users <golden-che...@googlegroups.com>, wrote:
No, sadly still no connection to any ANT+ devices, which are being recognised in other programs. I've also just noticed there is no bluetooth connection either when I try to go through that as an alternative. I know the bluetooth is transmitting, as again I can pick that up in other applications.

John Breen

Mar 1, 2019, 1:07:19 PM3/1/19
to golden-cheetah-users
I tested this last night and found that existing profiles will connect and display telemetry data.
Searching for devices (creating a new profile) appears to just sit there searching forever.
So, for new users, this would be a problem. For existing, probably only if you needed to change a device and didn't want to edit the xml.

TJDunnigan

Mar 1, 2019, 3:15:33 PM3/1/19
to golden-cheetah-users
This is consistent with my problem, although I was not aware of it. I switched to a new MacBook Pro about the same time as a new Dev was released (late summer?). I assumed the problem lay with the USB-C interface.

Dave Heald

Mar 3, 2019, 5:39:35 AM3/3/19
to golden-cheetah-users
So as a temporary fix, would it be possible to download an older version of GC and install it as a new user or similar (to not change any of the newer GC installations), create a new user file and connect the ANT+ or Bluetooth devices, then import that information into the newer version of GC. My question would be; does anybody know which file do the connected devices get stored to? I'm presuming it's in one of .xml files but I'm not sure which. And is it replaceable or will it damage other data?
Message has been deleted

TJDunnigan

Mar 4, 2019, 1:54:33 PM3/4/19
to golden-cheetah-users
Following a suggestion from John, I transferred a copy of configglobal-trainmode.ini from my old MacBook Pro to the new. That file contained a ANT+ profile of the devices I am using with the new laptop.

However, I still receive the error message, "Cannot connect with the ANT+ device" when I attempt to run a training session (using the correct profile).

As before, I can fully use the BigRing VR app (ANT+) both before and after the GC failures.

jb

Apr 8, 2019, 11:12:43 AM4/8/19
to golden-cheetah-users
I will also add myself to the chorus of people having this problem, with similar circumstances:
- MacBook Pro, 13", 2017, USB-C (only)
- Mojave, 10.14.4
- System can see USB stick just fine in System Report. (See attached).
- Zwift can see power meter via Ant+ just fine
- Attempting to start workout on Train screen raises dialog "Cannot open Ant+ device"

I would try to downgrade to 3.4 (build-anything), but I don't know what happens to the UserDb in that case, and didn't want to corrupt it.

Is there a way to safely try a 3.4x build?

-jb

Ant+.png

Ale Martinez

Apr 8, 2019, 1:46:44 PM4/8/19