GC under certain condition very slow and very sluggish - Windows 10

marcen

Oct 13, 2021, 2:25:30 PM10/13/21
to golden-cheetah-users
With the latest version of CG, GC becomes very slow and very sluggish in use under certain conditions.

Under Activities, when the map chart or a user chart or a Python chart is selected, GC becomes very slow and the chart changes take very long and the general usage is very sluggish.

Under Trends it is the KPI, User Chart, Python charts that slow GC down.

CPU usage remains normal and otherwise I haven't found a way to look up where this is coming from.

After a reboot everything is normal again until one of the charts is selected.

Does anyone have the same problem under Windows 10 with Nvidia graphics card?

Screenshot 2021-10-13 192453.jpg
Thanks for the help.

Bob Demers

Oct 14, 2021, 8:06:22 AM10/14/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I am experiencing this as well with the latest build. Sluggish in "Trends". Hovering over Date Ranges and Charts, the highlighting moves slow. Overall the interface feels slower clicking on different charts.
gc.JPG

Mark Liversedge

Oct 14, 2021, 5:33:47 PM10/14/21
to golden-cheetah-users
What GPU do you use?

marcen

Oct 14, 2021, 6:19:07 PM10/14/21
to golden-cheetah-users
It's a GeForce RTX 2060 mobile and  461.40 driver from Nvidia.

Mark Liversedge

Oct 15, 2021, 3:56:49 AM10/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I wonder if its Nvidia optimus choosing, visit this website: https://alteredqualia.com/texts/optimus/
and then click on the detector: WebGL features detector here.

It may be that the onboard Intel graphics are being used............

Mark

Bob Demers

Oct 15, 2021, 9:48:52 AM10/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I am also using a mobile card NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
My global settings are defaulted to use Nvidia card but I tried a few things.

Changing in the nvidia control panel to specify my graphics card for GC. I also tried right clicking and running with nvidia graphics card. Sluggish in all charts. In Trends, the Date Range and Chart hovering is very slow.

I uninstalled everything and deleted all folders. Went back to the August 3.6 dev build 4007 and everything is fast.

Mark Liversedge

Oct 15, 2021, 9:52:24 AM10/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Did you run the web gl features detector, would be interesting to see the output.....

Bob Demers

Oct 15, 2021, 11:42:17 AM10/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Unmasked Renderer: ANGLE (Intel, Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0, D3D11-10.18.15.4279) Unmasked Vendor: Google Inc. (Intel)

That is with specifying Google Chrome to use the Nvidia Card at launch. Tried Firefox, same result.

Nvidia GPU Activity Panel does show GoldenCheetah (but not Google Chrome or Firefox). Both builds (Aug and Oct15) show they are using Nvidia in panel.

I uninstalled again, tried latest snapshot build (still slow), then uninstalled and back to Aug build (fast).

Mark Liversedge

Oct 15, 2021, 11:53:17 AM10/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
That makes sense now, ANGLE is using the intel processor. Will look at what we can do to avoid this in the next release.

Mark

marcen

Oct 15, 2021, 12:46:35 PM10/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
Great, thanks for the link.

Used Firefox 93.0 (64-bit) for the test. I did not notice any lag or sluggishness when testing with the Radeon and WebGL demos.

The CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 and the graphics card is a Radeon. That's where said graphs are sluggish.

If I disable the Redeon in the bios and only the Nvidia graphics card is on, GC is also sluggish.
I can't tell why the link shows a GeForce GTX 980 and not the GeForce RTX 2060.
WebGL ATI.txt
WebGL Nvidia.txt

Mark Liversedge

Oct 15, 2021, 2:02:06 PM10/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users
I've added an option to disable ANGLE --no-angle. This should help resolve this.

Mark

Bob Demers

Oct 15, 2021, 2:16:16 PM10/15/21
to Mark Liversedge, golden-cheetah-users
Thanks Mark. That works.

marcen

Oct 15, 2021, 3:50:31 PM10/15/21
to golden-cheetah-users