Go lang meeting in auckland in late July / early August

Robert King

Jul 17, 2014, 7:23:16 PM7/17/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Who wants to grab a glass of wine or a beer sometime soon? Potentially at de post, Mt Eden. I suggest next Thursday?
Is vend planning to hold another meeting soon?

Carl .

Jul 18, 2014, 12:45:10 AM7/18/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. As long as its not on the 31st :)

Evan Shaw

Jul 18, 2014, 2:24:33 AM7/18/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
I could make it next Thursday.
> --
> --
>
> ---
> "golang-nz" group.
> email to golang-nz+...@googlegroups.com.

Am Laher

Jul 18, 2014, 3:40:21 AM7/18/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
I'll try but can't be sure if I'll make it. Would be great to catch up. Cheers

Piotr Zurek

Jul 22, 2014, 4:31:48 AM7/22/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

Are we talking the 24th? Would love to catch up and maybe talk about getting the next "big" meetup together.

Robert King

Jul 22, 2014, 6:15:31 AM7/22/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
yup on the 24th.. what time is good? 6.30PM at depost?

Am Laher

Jul 22, 2014, 6:48:33 AM7/22/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Sorry can't make it after all - my daughter's birthday, oops. See you next time.

Robert King

Jul 22, 2014, 9:22:54 PM7/22/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Can at least three people confirm they can make it tomorrow? otherwise we should re-schedule.

Mark Derricutt

Jul 22, 2014, 10:10:15 PM7/22/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
I'm keen to pop along and talk Go.

I could almost even be talked into a presentation maybe ( my first go
project is a continuous integration server ) - just something simple to
get me started ;p hah.

Mark

Piotr Zurek

Jul 22, 2014, 10:42:15 PM7/22/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Count me in too.

On Friday, 18 July 2014 11:23:16 UTC+12, Robert King wrote:

Who wants to grab a glass of wine or a beer sometime soon? Potentially at
de post, Mt Eden. I suggest next Thursday?
Is vend planning to hold another meeting soon?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-nz" group.

Robert King

Am Laher

Jul 23, 2014, 11:02:24 PM7/23/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to pop down at about 7.30: reckon you'll still be in full flow

Mark Derricutt

Jul 23, 2014, 11:17:39 PM7/23/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Sweet - someone I know at least ;-)

Evan Shaw

Jul 23, 2014, 11:24:58 PM7/23/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there, but possibly a little late.

Piotr Zurek

Jul 24, 2014, 12:22:43 AM7/24/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
I should be there more or less on time. Please, don't leave me waiting to long. :-)

Robert King

Jul 24, 2014, 12:32:02 AM7/24/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
yup i'll be there around 6.30. i'll order some food around 7pm

Mark Derricutt

Jul 24, 2014, 2:41:03 AM7/24/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com

Any one here?

Evan Shaw

Jul 24, 2014, 3:16:04 AM7/24/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com

We're upstairs.

Sent from my phone

Carl .

Jul 24, 2014, 6:17:34 PM7/24/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Sorry guys, couldn't make it yesterday. Something urgent came up.

Mark Derricutt

Jul 24, 2014, 6:42:12 PM7/24/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Once I a) learnt there was an upstairs and b) that's where people were -
a fun evening.

On 25 Jul 2014, at 10:17, Carl . wrote:

> Sorry guys, couldn't make it yesterday. Something urgent came up.
>
> On Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:16:04 PM UTC+12, Evan Shaw wrote:
>>
>> We're upstairs.
>>
>> Sent from my phone
>> On Jul 24, 2014 6:41 PM, "Mark Derricutt" <ma...@talios.com
>> <javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Any one here?
>>> On 24/07/2014 4:32 pm, "Robert King" <kingrob...@gmail.com
>>> <javascript:>>

>>> --
>>> --
>>> * For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/golang-nz?hl=en-GB?hl=en-GB
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Groups
>>> "golang-nz" group.
>>> send an
>>> email to golang-nz+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.

Am Laher

Jul 25, 2014, 4:30:23 AM7/25/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
As usual I learnt many stuffs last night.
I tend to forget this stuff quite quickly, so this time I'll make some notes:

 * Evan and Robert both made it to Google I/O 2014. I'd love to watch the talks, but I can't find much on youtube. Just this one from sourcegraph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpKaoPz8l8 . I'm particularly interested to see the one about concurrency, apparently it goes through 20 or 30 different situations. (Also one about testing/quick!)... Aha, bradfritz said on reddit that the venue was crappy for recordings, so the talks will be re-done at some point.
 * Really nice rule of thumb from Evan about deciding when to use function types vs single-method interfaces: if you're expecting the operation to be stateful, use an interface. If not, use a function type. This makes good sense to me.
 * Docker is now being offered by Google as a pre-built image on Compute Engine. Also, something surprising about Microsoft using Docker & writing Go code? Maybe that was the Leffe messing with my hearing though.
 * Robert has found Go to work really well in programming competitions, in comparison to other languages. Unfortunately Go won't be allowed in this year's NZ programming competition, but hopefully next year.
 * Some discussions about golint. People generally like it, except for a couple of annoying suggestions for capitalised acronyms, e.g. 'Piotr.HTMLURL'. On a related note, I also like 'errcheck' by Kamil Kiesel.
 * I mentioned Go's test coverage tooling. It boils down to this:
      go test -coverprofile=t.out .
      go tool cover -html=t.out
    This makes an html page with a colour-coded view of coverage for each file in a package. Handy.
    You can get the same output online with gocover.io (nice use of docker btw). Example: http://gocover.io/github.com/laher/argo/ar
 * Various people offered to speak at a future meetup. Evan & Robert have both spoken about Go before.

I'm sure there were many more things, but that's all that my old sieve retained this time. Please add more if you have anything.
Cheers

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "golang-nz" group.

Mark Derricutt

Jul 25, 2014, 5:56:29 AM7/25/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Does go cover only show "these lines were covered" and not hit
counts/branch coverage like one might be used to from java/c# etc.?

I often find that's useful as an initial 'profiler' as well.

Are there any profilers?

On 25 Jul 2014, at 20:30, Am Laher wrote:

>     You can get the same output online
> with [gocover.io](http://gocover.io) (nice use of docker btw).
> Example:[http://gocover.io/github.com/laher/argo/ar](http://gocover.io/github.com/laher/argo/ar)

Robert King

Jul 26, 2014, 2:22:23 AM7/26/14
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Google is embracing docker on compute engine (google has effectively been using containers for many years).
With the microsoft reference I was referring to kubernetes rather than docker (although similar concepts). Google open sourced kubernetes which is a higher level cluster (container) management system which can schedule into things such as docker. Microsoft is looking at kubernetes. Kubernetes is written in Go lang. Here is the link: http://googlecloudplatform.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/welcome-microsoft-redhat-ibm-docker-and-more-to-the-kubernetes-community.html
Then app engine uses even lighter weight containers with more restrictions in place which is great for orchestration.

For programming contests - Python is still highly productive - but GO is great when Python is too slow. (only thing is C++ has map<> which is an ordered tree which unfortunately GO doesn't have - and in programming contests you're usually not allowed third party code) - I've found GO is usually faster than java.