[ANN] Kees Varekamp is taking over the mailing list/group

Andrew Chilton

May 29, 2013, 8:53:50 PM5/29/13
to GoLang NZ
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Kees Varekamp will be taking
over from me as owner of this mailing list. His company MROffice, use
Go pretty exclusively these days so hopefully he can steer this group
a bit more than I can.

* http://mroffice.org/

Kees, feel free to review, extend or whatever you like with the group.
I hope Go has a great future and it certainly looks like it is used a
lot more in NZ these days than it was when I started the group two
years ago. :)

Since then I've been mostly in the Node.js world and will be
fully-emersed in it as I start a new a new job with Mozilla next week,
working remotely from Wgtn on a 100% Node.js project. So it'll be good
to have someone more active in Go taking the reigns.

Over to you Kees. :)

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andrew Chilton
e: chi...@appsattic.com / andyc...@gmail.com

Jonathan Wright

May 29, 2013, 8:58:12 PM5/29/13
to gola...@googlegroups.com
An NZ company doing Go, perhaps I should move back to NZ. :-)

Jonathan.

Kees Varekamp

May 29, 2013, 9:31:53 PM5/29/13
to gola...@googlegroups.com
Thanks chilts, for looking after this group for so long. You will forever be lovingly remembered as one of the founding fathers of golang-nz :-)

A little bit of background info about me:
My name is Kees Varekamp, and I run a small company in Auckland named MROffice Limited (http://mroffice.org). It's pronounced Em Arrr, not Mister, and it stands for Market Research. We do data processing and statistical analysis, mostly for MR companies. Our home-grown tools have evolved into fullblown applications, and we are now selling those to our customers. We also do custom web apps, usually themed around the MR industry - reporting dashboards for example. All new software we do is in Go.

There are currently 3 full-timers in our company - we are not hiring at the moment, but we might be looking out for contract workers in the not too distant future.

I love Go. From the moment it was announced I realized that this was exactly what I wanted:
- It's easy on the keyboard - I don't need some gigantic and slow IDE to help me type up my ideas.
- It's type-safe
- It's fast
- It's easy work with - no makefiles, runtimes, header files, build systems, etc.

I would love to see 2 things happen in the short term:
1) Get some more life into this group. There is not a lot going on at the moment. So please post your ideas, any cool projects you have been working on, or any questions you might have. Also, get your Go buddies or potentially interested colleagues to sign up for this list - the more, the merrier.
2) Get an Auckland chapter going. I'm organizing an AKL golang user meetup in our office on 7 June, 5pm. Please let me know if you can make it, and I'll organize pizza.

From your new moderating overlord,

Kees Varekamp

Am Laher

May 30, 2013, 6:13:49 PM5/30/13
to gola...@googlegroups.com
The King has abdicated, long live the king!
Cheers Chilts, all the best with Node.js. If you ever make it up to AkJS I might see you there.

Welcome Kees, and thanks for apparating & taking this on with such gusto.
Great ideas. I'll post some stuff here in the near future (occasionally I post stuff to Go+ or golang-nuts)
I'll also nudge a few developers I know incase anyone's interested in the meetup.

Please put me down for next Friday.
See you then :)