proposal: generic generics proposal

Dan Kortschak

Sep 19, 2018, 7:59:27 PM9/19/18
to golang-nuts
It's pretty clear for the flood of emails to golang-nuts and golang-dev
regarding the recent generics/contracts proposal that there are many
ways to implement generics proposals.

Because of this and risks associated with copy pasting generics
proposals to modify and re-propose, I would like to propose a mechanism
for implementing generics proposals generically — that is a parametric
proposal proposal (possibly with either metacontracts or nested
boxing).

Is anyone adequately versed in metaphysics and the philosophy of self-
reference to help me out with this?

thanks
Dan

alan...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2018, 8:38:03 PM9/19/18
to golang-nuts
Not really, TBH, though I'll soon be posting a link to my new treatise: "De rebus genericis golangi dvo" to the feedback page.

I thought it might gain more attention if the title were written in Latin .

Alan

Eric S. Raymond

Sep 20, 2018, 4:02:36 AM9/20/18
to alan...@gmail.com, golang-nuts
alan...@gmail.com <alan...@gmail.com>:
> Not really, TBH, though I'll soon be posting a link to my new treatise: "De
> rebus genericis golangi dvo" to the feedback page.
>
> I thought it might gain more attention if the title were written in Latin .

Maybe *that's* what the Mysterious Stranger gave me. I couldn't understand
his description - I think he was speaching Enochian. And a timestamp in the...
future? On a thumb drive that glows faintly in a disquieting shade of green?

I've shelved it right between my copies of the Necronomicon and the INTERCAL
user's manual. It seemed appropriate.

alan...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2018, 2:12:13 PM9/20/18
to golang-nuts
On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 9:02:36 AM UTC+1, Eric Raymond wrote:

Maybe *that's* what the Mysterious Stranger gave me.  I couldn't understand
his description - I think he was speaching Enochian. And a timestamp in the...
future? On a thumb drive that glows faintly in a disquieting shade of green?

Wow, and I thought Go was the language of angels :)

Alan

Scott Cotton

Sep 27, 2018, 8:31:23 AM9/27/18
to golang-nuts
Maybe, fork modify and present with github diff link like https://github.com/golang/proposal/compare/master...wsc1:master
is a pretty flexible option.

self-reference: check
metaphysics: not as far as I know :)
generic:  at least a general way of doing it.

Scott

thanks
Dan