go-tour-TH cost

Pallat Anchaleechamaikorn

Sep 27, 2021, 6:11:01 AM9/27/21
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gophers,

I have a question about my contribution go-tour-TH for Thai language in GCP app engine.

I'd like to confirm a bit about the cost.

This shouldn't cost you anything;

Screen Shot 2564-09-27 at 17.08.05.png

It still has some cost to me, right?
I just need to confirm, It's ok for me to pay.

Best Regards,
Pallat Anchaleechamaikorn
Tel. +66 8 1955 9953

Shulhan

Sep 27, 2021, 7:07:44 AM9/27/21
to Pallat Anchaleechamaikorn, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:10:16 +0700
Pallat Anchaleechamaikorn <yod.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Gophers,
>
> I have a question about my contribution go-tour-TH for Thai language
> in GCP app engine.
>
> I'd like to confirm a bit about the cost.
> I've seen in the
> https://cs.opensource.google/go/x/website/+/53e4d521:tour/TRANSLATE
>
> This shouldn't cost you anything;
>
> [image: Screen Shot 2564-09-27 at 17.08.05.png]
>
> It still has some cost to me, right?
> I just need to confirm, It's ok for me to pay.

As maintainer of go-tour-id, the answer is yes; but it should not cost
you that much.

Our daily activity is around ~30 active users and the monthly cost is
never above ~0.02 USD. Either you have more traffic or there are some
unused artifacts that keep accumulating the GCP cost.

See the attached screenshot of my GCP billing for reference.
screenshot_2021.09.27-180405.png

Sean Liao

Sep 27, 2021, 7:44:44 AM9/27/21
to golang-nuts
The way appengine pricing works is calculated in instances hours per day,
so if there are particularly busy days where instances x hours goes over 28 there will be some costs involved,
though this may not be clear in the monthly summary.
If you want, you can limit the scaling behaviour of appengine via the app.yaml file: https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/config/appref#scaling_elements

As for the storage part, the free tier covers 5GB US regional storage while I see multi-regional storage in your bills
(I believe multi-regional is default...)
It should be safe to change if you want to do so.