How do I install go.tools/present?

Ralf Rottmann

Apr 27, 2014, 9:37:31 AM4/27/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everybody,

I'm having a hard time getting the present to run on Mac OS X. I have a fully working go environment set up and it's working fine for a larger app engine project. I've copied the output from go env below.

Here's how I try to install present:

No output which usually means, everything is fine. However, in $GOPATH/bin there is no present binary. Running go build inside the $GOPATH/src/code.google.com/p/go.tools/present folder yields no output. Same for go install.

Any ideas?

Here's go env:

GOARCH="amd64"
GOBIN=""
GOCHAR="6"
GOEXE=""
GOHOSTARCH="amd64"
GOHOSTOS="darwin"
GOOS="darwin"
GOPATH="/Users/RalfR/gocode"
GORACE=""
GOROOT="/usr/local/go"
GOTOOLDIR="/usr/local/go/pkg/tool/darwin_amd64"
TERM="dumb"
CC="clang"
GOGCCFLAGS="-g -O2 -fPIC -m64 -pthread -fno-caret-diagnostics -Qunused-arguments -fno-common"
CXX="clang++"
CGO_ENABLED="1"

egon

Apr 27, 2014, 9:41:53 AM4/27/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

Ralf Rottmann

Apr 27, 2014, 9:48:05 AM4/27/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Worked like a charm! Didn't understand that go.tools/present is different from go.talks/present. Now, do you happen to have a single sample slide with run-able code embedded? Prepping a lightning talk and really would love to use this! Thanks in advance.

egon

Apr 27, 2014, 9:51:33 AM4/27/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:48:05 PM UTC+3, Ralf Rottmann wrote:
Thanks. Worked like a charm! Didn't understand that go.tools/present is different from go.talks/present. Now, do you happen to have a single sample slide with run-able code embedded? Prepping a lightning talk and really would love to use this! Thanks in advance.

Ralf Rottmann

Apr 27, 2014, 10:04:15 AM4/27/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Great and got it working. One last question: In the slides from go.talks there is:

.play concurrency/support/boring.go /START/,/STOP.*/

or

.play concurrency/support/lessboring.go /START/,/STOP/

or

.play concurrency/support/lessboring.go /^func.main/,$

I understand that .play makes the code run-able in the browser, but what's the /START/,/STOP.*/ part?

egon

Apr 27, 2014, 10:12:05 AM4/27/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 5:04:15 PM UTC+3, Ralf Rottmann wrote:
Great and got it working. One last question: In the slides from go.talks there is:

.play concurrency/support/boring.go /START/,/STOP.*/

or

.play concurrency/support/lessboring.go /START/,/STOP/

or

.play concurrency/support/lessboring.go /^func.main/,$

I understand that .play makes the code run-able in the browser, but what's the /START/,/STOP.*/ part?

The go code has the corresponding comments and only the stuff between the comments will be shown. It allows to show part of the file at a time, or just ignore the unimportant bits...

e.g.

Rob Pike

Apr 27, 2014, 10:21:37 AM4/27/14
to egon, golan...@googlegroups.com

Ralf Rottmann

Apr 27, 2014, 10:38:53 AM4/27/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, egon
Just stumbled upon the Plan9 reference and that makes things clear. Now heading back to Go on Managed VMs on App Engine... have to say, a great, fantastic language so far. We're using it at grandcentrix to build a real-world backend which will serve potentially millions of Germans during a major TV event in May.

And: Added you on Google+ because you keep jumpin' in even on my pretty basic questions here. Thanks, great community is half of what it needs to fall in love with a language for me.

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:21:37 PM UTC+2, Rob 'Commander' Pike wrote:
http://godoc.org/code.google.com/p/go.tools/present