go text://protocol client?

Petite Abeille

Apr 9, 2021, 11:38:12 AM4/9/21
to golang-nuts
Hello,

Would you know of any go text://protocol clients? Or servers?

Thanks in advance.

[1] https://textprotocol.org
[2] https://github.com/textprotocol/public
[3] https://github.com/textprotocol/publictext

Jesper Louis Andersen

Apr 9, 2021, 4:00:50 PM4/9/21
to Petite Abeille, golang-nuts
On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 5:37 PM 'Petite Abeille' via golang-nuts <golan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Would you know of any go text://protocol clients? Or servers?

No, but it would be a fairly good beginner project[0]

Dan Kortschak

Apr 9, 2021, 6:42:32 PM4/9/21
to golang-nuts
On Fri, 2021-04-09 at 17:01 +0200, 'Petite Abeille' via golang-nuts
wrote:
> [1] https://textprotocol.org

That's an extraordinarily and unnecessarily obtuse document.

Anthony Martin

Apr 10, 2021, 4:50:16 AM4/10/21
to golang-nuts

Petite Abeille

Apr 10, 2021, 10:55:59 PM4/10/21
to golang-nuts

> On Apr 10, 2021, at 00:41, 'Dan Kortschak' via golang-nuts <golan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> [1] https://textprotocol.org
>
> That's an extraordinarily and unnecessarily obtuse document.

Quite an achievement indeed :)

Even though in practice it translates to around ~113 sloc — server side:

https://github.com/textprotocol/publictext/blob/main/publictext

Petite Abeille

Apr 10, 2021, 10:55:59 PM4/10/21
to golang-nuts

> On Apr 10, 2021, at 10:49, Anthony Martin <al...@pbrane.org> wrote:
>
> They sure are a busy little bee.

> https://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2021-April/100873.html

Systematic for sure:

https://textprotocol.org/contact

Kurtis Rader

Apr 10, 2021, 11:11:55 PM4/10/21
to Petite Abeille, golang-nuts
It is nice that the specification allows for an efficient implementation. But I agree with Dan that your documentation is opaque, obtuse, inscrutable, etc. So much so that I initially thought it was some sort of April Fools Day joke.

--
Kurtis Rader

Jesper Louis Andersen

Apr 11, 2021, 6:15:36 AM4/11/21
to Kurtis Rader, Petite Abeille, golang-nuts
On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 5:11 AM Kurtis Rader <kra...@skepticism.us> wrote:

It is nice that the specification allows for an efficient implementation. But I agree with Dan that your documentation is opaque, obtuse, inscrutable, etc. So much so that I initially thought it was some sort of April Fools Day joke.

April Fools?

No.

It's an art installation. A lament to the mistakes we've made. The documents WE've written. But no-one reads. We revel in the 113 lines of pure specification, as a temple to Alan Kay. Documentation must be executable! The page implements human Hypertext is the Engine of Application State (HATEOAS), creating an interlinked web of important data. You MUST dig(1) to understand. Also note that the page is a mirror into a better world. A world in which text://protocol exists! It's for the youth. They never experienced the raw information exchange driven by Sync-on-Green. They never experienced Unix in its pure form. Or plan 9. Instead, they are forced, by the power of the DOM and CSS, to live in a pin-holed world where the light only shines occasionally. This is their BBS.

This doesn't belong on a mailing list. It should be put in an art gallery.

--
J.

Axel Wagner

Apr 11, 2021, 6:23:14 AM4/11/21
to golang-nuts
Everything around it certainly emits the air of pretentiousness that the fine art market is famous for.

Petite Abeille

Apr 11, 2021, 7:55:18 AM4/11/21
to golang-nuts

> On Apr 11, 2021, at 12:22, 'Axel Wagner' via golang-nuts <golan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Everything around it certainly emits the air of pretentiousness that the fine art market is famous for.

There is a method to it:

https://lighthouse-dot-webdotdevsite.appspot.com//lh/html?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftextprotocol.org%2Fcontact

Petite Abeille

Apr 11, 2021, 7:59:21 AM4/11/21
to golang-nuts

On Apr 11, 2021, at 05:11, Kurtis Rader <kra...@skepticism.us> wrote:

It is nice that the specification allows for an efficient implementation. But I agree with Dan that your documentation is opaque, obtuse, inscrutable, etc. So much so that I initially thought it was some sort of April Fools Day joke.

Perhaps something to do with reading comprehension :)

nq050820.gif

Petite Abeille

Apr 11, 2021, 8:11:00 AM4/11/21
to golang-nuts

> On Apr 11, 2021, at 12:14, Jesper Louis Andersen <jesper.lou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's an art installation. A lament to the mistakes we've made. The documents WE've written. But no-one reads. We revel in the 113 lines of pure specification, as a temple to Alan Kay. Documentation must be executable! The page implements human Hypertext is the Engine of Application State (HATEOAS), creating an interlinked web of important data. You MUST dig(1) to understand. Also note that the page is a mirror into a better world. A world in which text://protocol exists! It's for the youth. They never experienced the raw information exchange driven by Sync-on-Green. They never experienced Unix in its pure form. Or plan 9. Instead, they are forced, by the power of the DOM and CSS, to live in a pin-holed world where the light only shines occasionally. This is their BBS.
>
> This doesn't belong on a mailing list. It should be put in an art gallery.

Borderline dadaist.

And intertwingled:

# curl -s https://textprotocol.org/ | pup 'json{}' | gron | grep 'href = ' | wc -l
122

Axel Wagner

Apr 11, 2021, 8:19:35 AM4/11/21
to Petite Abeille, golang-nuts
I don't understand what you are trying to say. And I feel the fact that everyone talking about is either confused, or speaking in riddles instead of just plainly explaining what they are trying to say, speaks for itself.

K. Alex Mills

Apr 11, 2021, 8:23:43 AM4/11/21
to Jesper Louis Andersen, Kurtis Rader, Petite Abeille, golang-nuts
Well I'm convinced this is art, and once it's viewed that way, I think it stops being confounding and becomes delightful.

Sending it to my Art History contacts for analysis. Maybe by putting it in the proper context we can come to understand it better (or at least... differently).

--
J.

Petite Abeille

Apr 11, 2021, 8:33:13 AM4/11/21
to golang-nuts

On Apr 11, 2021, at 14:18, Axel Wagner <axel.wa...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I don't understand what you are trying to say. And I feel the fact that everyone talking about is either confused, or speaking in riddles instead of just plainly explaining what they are trying to say, speaks for itself.

nq070829.gif

Petite Abeille

Apr 11, 2021, 8:42:14 AM4/11/21
to golang-nuts

On Apr 11, 2021, at 14:23, K. Alex Mills <k.alex...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well I'm convinced this is art, and once it's viewed that way, I think it stops being confounding and becomes delightful.

Sending it to my Art History contacts for analysis. Maybe by putting it in the proper context we can come to understand it better (or at least... differently).

nq071126.gif

Thomas Bushnell BSG

Apr 14, 2021, 1:43:45 PM4/14/21
to Axel Wagner, Petite Abeille, golang-nuts
In Ash Wednesday, T. S. Eliot wrote the line "Lady, three white leopards sat under a juniper tree in the cool of the day...." When he was asked what it meant, he aisd "It means, 'Lady, three white leopards sat under a juniper tree in the cool of the day....'"

I suspect if there were a better way to express what Eliot meant, he would have chosen it.

Axel Wagner

Apr 14, 2021, 2:50:36 PM4/14/21
to golang-nuts
I'm genuinely baffled by the lack of self-awareness on display here.

Petite Abeille

Apr 22, 2021, 11:59:01 AM4/22/21
to golang-nuts

> On Apr 11, 2021, at 12:22, 'Axel Wagner' via golang-nuts <golan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Everything around it certainly emits the air of pretentiousness that the fine art market is famous for.

à propos:

FTC Rules Businesses Must Disclose Whether They Actually Cool Or Just Use Minimalist Branding
https://www.theonion.com/ftc-rules-businesses-must-disclose-whether-they-actuall-1846692724