Help me study resources or guides

Nyilynn Htwe

Apr 27, 2023, 10:07:08 AM4/27/23
to golang-nuts
I am starting to learn GO programming language with this course. Can you all guide me how to learn and how to be geek at Go?
Thank you for reading

Matt KØDVB

Apr 28, 2023, 11:22:34 AM4/28/23
to Nyilynn Htwe, golang-nuts
You can find my video class at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoILbKo9rG3skRCj37Kn5Zj803hhiuRK6; people seem to like it

Matt

On Apr 26, 2023, at 9:45 PM, Nyilynn Htwe <nyily...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am starting to learn GO programming language with this course. Can you all guide me how to learn and how to be geek at Go?
Thank you for reading

Rajesh Pandian

May 2, 2023, 12:52:56 PM5/2/23
to golang-nuts
HI Nyilynn,

I have watched Matt's Golang videos about concurrency and few others and I have to say it is Brilliant!  I highly recommend it. (And Thank you Matt for the brilliant content!!  )

If you are interested in books then "Learning Go" from O'reilly was also helpful to me. If you want start from absolute basic then "Head First Go" is a good book too. I have all these two and the "The Go programming language book which I frequently refer to as it's written by Brian W. Kernighan and Alan A. A. Donovan which is a must have book if you reading Go.

And finally, practice and practise! As a Mandalorian would say "This is the way"

Regards,
Rajesh

Kamil Ziemian

May 3, 2023, 9:14:40 AM5/3/23
to golang-nuts
Hello,

I now try to read "Go Language Specification", which you must read to became true Gopher. If you want to read this document, I offer all my help, but not overestimate me. Recently I even doubt if I'm programmer at all, maybe just advanced hobbyist.

Because Go Spec my by too much for the begining I strongly advice you go trough all the "A Tour of Go".
https://go.dev/tour/welcome/1
"A Tour of Go" is easy, outside few excercise that need a background knowledge in things like networking. In any case, if you will have any question about "A Tour of Go" feel free to ask.

One thing I think is worth of pointing out in the context of "A Tour of Go". When we talk about language itself, not its toolchain, there was only Big addition with big "B" to it since the version 1.0 was introduced in the 2012. By it I mean generics (or like Rob Pike call them more correctly: parametric polymorphism) introduced with Go 1.18 around February 2022. The part of "A Tour of Go" is that introduce generics is the only part that I don't like. It is too short and too sketchy for my taste.

I learn quite a lot about generics reading proposal of them, at the time where was no implementation of them in the language, but I cannot these proposals as a learning materials. Ian Lance Taylor, which is one of the highest Go authorities in the world, once stated here that even the last proposal of generics isn't what is in the language, due to some changes make during the phase of implementation (at least this is what I understood from his words). Taylor said that if you know how generics works in Go, you should read Go Spec, which I currently doing. As a result, I cannot give you any point where to learn generics, since I still don't know if particular part of is appropriate for the beginners and I don't know an good ones at this moment. Maybe someone else can point to such good resource.

At the bright side of things, I think generics are the last thing that you should learn in Go. They are important, but since are the last Addition with big "A" to the language, you should leave them to the end. At least in the my opinion.

Best regards,
Kamil Ziemian
Message has been deleted

Zhang Jie (Kn)

May 23, 2023, 8:33:18 AM5/23/23
to golang-nuts
1. https://go101.org, from beginner to true gopher
2. go perf book, search it from github, this will teach you some optimization techniques
    actually, there's some Chinese golang books that describe the internals, like go语言设计实现,go语言原本. Even though they're good, but there's already many good articles, I keep updating this reading list.
4. 100-go-mistakes, this book will show you common mistakes among gophers, and it will make you understand golang better.

Marcello H

May 24, 2023, 2:16:25 AM5/24/23
to golang-nuts
You could take a look at: