go1 released

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 28, 2012, 12:03:41 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
We've just tagged a new Go release: go1.

Go 1 is a major release of Go that will be stable in the long term.
It is intended that programs written for Go 1 will continue to compile
and run correctly, unchanged, under future versions of Go 1.

The Go 1 release notes list the significant changes since the last
release and explain how to update your code:
http://golang.org/doc/go1.html

To learn about the future of Go 1, read the Go 1 compatibility document:
http://golang.org/doc/go1compat.html

Go 1 is available as binary distributions for the
FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows operating systems.
To install a binary distribution, follow these instructions:
http://golang.org/doc/install

If you prefer to build from source, follow these instructions:
http://golang.org/doc/install/source

The Go team would like to thank all our contributors from the open
source community. We could not have done it without their help.
See the full list of contributors here: http://golang.org/CONTRIBUTORS

We also thank our users. We hope you enjoy Go 1.

Have fun. (And tell your friends! ;-)

Andrew

Dmitry Chestnykh

Mar 28, 2012, 12:10:55 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, and thanks for the hard work, Go team!

Henrik Johansson

Mar 28, 2012, 12:11:13 PM3/28/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts, golang-...@googlegroups.com

Awesome news congratulations!!

andrey mirtchovski

Mar 28, 2012, 12:11:52 PM3/28/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com
Great news, thanks and congratulations!

I was hoping for a bit more PR around this release: "here's how we use
Go to great things!" "here's why Go is the best at what it does" and
so on. Will there be more videos like the ones that were released when
Go first was announced?

rif

Mar 28, 2012, 12:12:17 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulation to the entire Go team and keep up the good work!

We can't wait the goodies that are still to come :)

All the best!

韩拓

Mar 28, 2012, 12:11:56 PM3/28/12
to Dmitry Chestnykh, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

--
    此致,
敬礼!

                     韩拓

Luke Mauldin

Mar 28, 2012, 12:18:00 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
I would like to say congratulations to the whole Go team!  Many people have been very helpful assisting me in my efforts to learn Go and integrate it into my daily development.  I am looking forward to using Go for a long time.

Luke

Graham Anderson

Mar 28, 2012, 12:18:06 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday 29 Mar 2012 03:03:41 Andrew Gerrand wrote:
> We've just tagged a new Go release: go1.

Big Grats to th Go team, and a big thank you to all the contributers.

Cheers the noo,
Graham

Pavel Korotkov

Mar 28, 2012, 12:20:50 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
It's awesome! My sincere congratulations! Gonna have fun =)

Jan Mercl

Mar 28, 2012, 12:21:52 PM3/28/12
On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:03:41 PM UTC+2, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
We've just tagged a new Go release: go1.

Great! Congrats ;-)

How will be upcoming fixes handled? In weekly.xxxxx or say go1_1_xxxx or what? Which branch/tag to follow? Naturally it's best to code everything against Go 1 now, but will be the fixes backported or something? Please advice the "now" best practice for developers, thank you.

Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan

Mar 28, 2012, 12:22:17 PM3/28/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!!!

Regards
dharani

Russel Winder

Mar 28, 2012, 12:34:06 PM3/28/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 03:03 +1100, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
> We've just tagged a new Go release: go1.

[...]

Is this supposed to happen when updating a pre-exiting clone...

|> hg pull
pulling from https://go.googlecode.com/hg
searching for changes
no changes found

|> hg update go1
0 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved

|> hg status

|> ( cd src && clean.bash )
./clean.bash: line 8: go: command not found
cannot find $GOTOOLDIR/dist; nothing to clean

|> ( cd src && all.bash )
# Building C bootstrap tool.
cmd/dist

# Building compilers and Go bootstrap tool for host, linux/amd64.
go tool dist: /home/Checkouts/Mercurial/Go/src/cmd/cov should not exist in release build

> Have fun. (And tell your friends! ;-)

Already doing this... :-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel...@ekiga.net

signature.asc

Nigel Tao

Mar 28, 2012, 12:36:06 PM3/28/12
to Jan Mercl, golan...@googlegroups.com
On 29 March 2012 03:21, Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How will be upcoming fixes handled? In weekly.xxxxx or say go1_1_xxxx or
> what? Which branch/tag to follow? Naturally it's best to code everything
> against Go 1 now, but will be the fixes backported or something? Please
> advice the "now" best practice for developers, thank you.

Does the Go 1 compatibility document answer your questions?
http://golang.org/doc/go1compat.html

Nigel Tao

Mar 28, 2012, 12:39:59 PM3/28/12
to Russel Winder, golan...@googlegroups.com
On 29 March 2012 03:34, Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk> wrote:
>        |> hg pull
>        pulling from https://go.googlecode.com/hg
>        searching for changes
>        no changes found
>
>        |> hg update go1
>        0 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
>
>        |> hg status

What does "hg identify" say?

Ali Altun

Mar 28, 2012, 12:40:37 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations to everyone involved

Jonathan Pittman

Mar 28, 2012, 12:41:23 PM3/28/12
to Nigel Tao, Russel Winder, golan...@googlegroups.com
I am having the same issue.  This is what hg identify says for me.

hg identify
920e9d1ffd1f (release-branch.go1) go1/release/tip

hg summary
parent: 12872:920e9d1ffd1f go1 release tip
 go1
branch: release-branch.go1
commit: 4 unknown (clean)
update: (current)

minux

Mar 28, 2012, 12:41:26 PM3/28/12
to Russel Winder, Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk> wrote:
Is this supposed to happen when updating a pre-exiting clone...

       |> hg pull
       pulling from https://go.googlecode.com/hg
       searching for changes
       no changes found

       |> hg update go1
       0 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
should be "hg update release-branch.go1"
       |> hg status

       |> ( cd src && clean.bash )
       ./clean.bash: line 8: go: command not found
       cannot find $GOTOOLDIR/dist; nothing to clean

       |> ( cd src && all.bash )
       # Building C bootstrap tool.
       cmd/dist

       # Building compilers and Go bootstrap tool for host, linux/amd64.
       go tool dist: /home/Checkouts/Mercurial/Go/src/cmd/cov should not exist in release build
Blame hg, it should have deleted these directories. You have to delete src/cmd/{cov, prof},
src/pkg/{old,exp}, and then your build will succeed.

Jonathan Pittman

Mar 28, 2012, 12:42:21 PM3/28/12
to Nigel Tao, Russel Winder, golan...@googlegroups.com
Although, I ran hg pull, then hg update release as opposed to go1.  Otherwise, the output is the same.

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 28, 2012, 12:43:51 PM3/28/12
to andrey mirtchovski, golan...@googlegroups.com

Yep, we've got a lot of stuff like this planned.

Paul Stead

Mar 28, 2012, 12:45:02 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com

This is indeed good news.  I backed off using go due to "too much churn" and was waiting for this to climb back on.  Now if goclipse will get updated to use go1, I'll be a very happy camper!  :)

Congratulations to everyone.  Well deserved.

Paul

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 28, 2012, 12:44:45 PM3/28/12
to Jan Mercl, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
On 29 March 2012 03:21, Jan Mercl <0xj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Point releases will be go1.0.1, go1.0.2, and so on.

Milestone releases of go1 will be go1.1, go1.2, and so on.

Andrew

Jonathan Pittman

Mar 28, 2012, 12:46:10 PM3/28/12
to minux, Russel Winder, Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com
That fixed it for me.  Thanks!

Jan Mercl

Mar 28, 2012, 12:48:05 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Jan Mercl
On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:36:06 PM UTC+2, Nigel Tao wrote:
On 29 March 2012 03:21, Jan Mercl wrote:
> How will be upcoming fixes handled? In weekly.xxxxx or say go1_1_xxxx or
> what? Which branch/tag to follow? Naturally it's best to code everything
> against Go 1 now, but will be the fixes backported or something? Please
> advice the "now" best practice for developers, thank you.

Does the Go 1 compatibility document answer your questions?
http://golang.org/doc/go1compat.html

I hope I understood that document well. I will try to rephrase my question in other words: Are the point versions going to replace the weekly releases? If so, then everything's fine, I think/hope. If not *and* a bug gets fixed in the presumably longer interval between point releases - are they going to be backported to the previous release? Imagine a situation when someone hits a show stopper bug with his/her code using Go 1, fixed in some later weekly. Is such developer stuck, not being able to release, till the point release?

Sorry for not being clear enough in the first post.

Jan Mercl

Mar 28, 2012, 12:50:33 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Jan Mercl, golang-...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:44:45 PM UTC+2, Andrew Gerrand wrote:

Point releases will be go1.0.1, go1.0.2, and so on.

Milestone releases of go1 will be go1.1, go1.2, and so on.

Thanks. That resolves my concerns.

@Nigel: Sorry, sent reply to you before seeing this Andrew's reply.

smallfish

Mar 28, 2012, 12:55:02 PM3/28/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
great!

mac:~ smallfish$ go version
go version go1

Schultzter

Mar 28, 2012, 12:55:11 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Jan Mercl, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiousity, why include "go" in the version numbers? The binary downloads are all go.go1.os-arch.ext. It seems a bit odd?! And annoying for a package maintainer like me. Thanks,

Felix Sun

Mar 28, 2012, 1:00:51 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
So that's it? The Go 1 released?!

Awesome congratulations!!

Brandon Peters

Mar 28, 2012, 1:06:03 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations and thanks so much!  I will indeed be telling my friends.

mattn

Mar 28, 2012, 1:07:34 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!

おめでとうございます!

Eduard Castany

Mar 28, 2012, 1:08:45 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
You made my day
Maybe my life!

Monnand

Mar 28, 2012, 1:25:12 PM3/28/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations! Really a big news.

Frank Blechschmidt

Mar 28, 2012, 1:47:03 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congrats! :)

Daniel Mazza

Mar 28, 2012, 1:52:33 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
A marvelous work.
Congratulations!

Guillermo Estrada

Mar 28, 2012, 2:04:22 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Finally! Kudos on Go 1 release!! amazing work guys, it's been a long road, but it has paid of. We need to promote this a LOT, twitter. facebook, a "Download Go 1" Button in Golang.org would be AWESOME publicity.

yvs...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2012, 2:16:06 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
"You see Mr. Bond, like every great artist, I want to create an indisputable masterpiece once in my life. The death of 007, mano a mano, face to face, will be mine."

 -- Scaramanga

HaWe

Mar 28, 2012, 2:22:29 PM3/28/12
to golang-nuts
Bravo! Super! Danke! - that's german and you'll guess what it means.

Avalon

Mar 28, 2012, 2:35:06 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome news! Congratulations to all Go developers!
May this be the start of a new era of growing Go adoption.

Op woensdag 28 maart 2012 18:03:41 UTC+2 schreef Andrew Gerrand het volgende:
[...]

Nick Saika

Mar 28, 2012, 2:43:50 PM3/28/12
to golang-nuts
Congratulations!

Russel Winder

Mar 28, 2012, 2:48:17 PM3/28/12
to Jonathan Pittman, minux, Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 12:46 -0400, Jonathan Pittman wrote:
> That fixed it for me. Thanks!

I went back to the weekly tag to get something working.

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM, minux <minu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Russel Winder
> <rus...@winder.org.uk> wrote:
> Is this supposed to happen when updating a pre-exiting
> clone...
>
> |> hg pull
> pulling from https://go.googlecode.com/hg
> searching for changes
> no changes found
>
> |> hg update go1
> 0 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files
> removed, 0 files unresolved
> should be "hg update release-branch.go1"

OK, on the one hand this could be seen as me not knowing Mercurial well
enough. On the other hand it shows that Mercurial tags are broken in
that the tag, when used, does not cause the appropriate change of
branch. Clearly this isn't a Go problem, except that it affects Go
bleeding edge users.

> |> hg status
>
> |> ( cd src && clean.bash )
> ./clean.bash: line 8: go: command not found
> cannot find $GOTOOLDIR/dist; nothing to clean
>
> |> ( cd src && all.bash )
> # Building C bootstrap tool.
> cmd/dist
>
> # Building compilers and Go bootstrap tool for
> host, linux/amd64.
> go tool
> dist: /home/Checkouts/Mercurial/Go/src/cmd/cov should
> not exist in release build
> Blame hg, it should have deleted these directories. You have
> to delete src/cmd/{cov, prof},
> src/pkg/{old,exp}, and then your build will succeed.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel...@ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: rus...@winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder

signature.asc

Johann Höchtl

Mar 28, 2012, 2:51:17 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Russel Winder, Andrew Gerrand

Had the same issue, that was the trick, thank you

Russ Cox

Mar 28, 2012, 2:57:44 PM3/28/12
to Russel Winder, Jonathan Pittman, minux, Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 14:48, Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk> wrote:
> OK, on the one hand this could be seen as me not knowing Mercurial well
> enough.  On the other hand it shows that Mercurial tags are broken in
> that the tag, when used, does not cause the appropriate change of
> branch.  Clearly this isn't a Go problem, except that it affects Go
> bleeding edge users.

The Mercurial tags are working just fine.
In a rare event, minux was incorrect. You do not need to use
hg update release-branch.go1. Using hg update go1 is fine.

The 'clean.bash' in your original post failed because clean.bash
is only usable after you do a build now. A build with make.bash
or all.bash always starts from a clean slate anyway.

The 'all.bash' failed because your client had some stale binaries
in directories like src/cmd/cov, so the hg up, while it did delete
the tracked files, left the directories with the object dregs behind.
The build requires that those directories be gone, since they are
not part of the official Go 1. If you delete the directories that it
complains about by hand, all will be well.

These problems are primarily due to an impedance mismatch:
Mercurial is really a version control system and we're making it
work as a software distribution system. Most of the time they're
close enough not to care, but not always.

Sorry for the trouble.
Russ

Sammi Song

Mar 28, 2012, 3:00:13 PM3/28/12
to Johann Höchtl, golan...@googlegroups.com, Russel Winder, Andrew Gerrand
I would like more beer on this friday. For go 1!

André Moraes

Mar 28, 2012, 4:20:13 PM3/28/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations and many thanks to Go Team.

--
André Moraes
http://andredevchannel.blogspot.com/

Rob Thornton

Mar 28, 2012, 4:50:46 PM3/28/12
to golang-nuts
Congratulations and great job! A big thank you to all the
contributors, too!

Go is a fantastic language and I look forward to seeing how the
language evolves in years to come!

Dave Cheney

Mar 28, 2012, 5:56:38 PM3/28/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com
My sincere congratulations on Go 1. Go has been a delight to be a part of.

Dave

dlin

Mar 28, 2012, 6:13:38 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, thanks to Go team. Many people helped me.

André Paquet

Mar 28, 2012, 6:27:17 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Merci!

My job of convincing my boss to consider Go in future projects is now a lot easier. I dream of day-to-day work in Go.

Congratulations and many thanks to the Go team! Now if we could just have a decimal type ;) (just kidding)

André
Message has been deleted

tretiy3

Mar 28, 2012, 6:33:01 PM3/28/12
to golang-nuts
> Blame hg, it should have deleted these directories. You have to delete
> src/cmd/{cov, prof},
> src/pkg/{old,exp}, and then your build will succeed.

thanks!

kar

Mar 28, 2012, 7:19:21 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to Go team and contributors.

1 question, does this mean Go is now officially supported by google and no longer experimental?

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 28, 2012, 8:12:05 PM3/28/12
to kar, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Go was never officially "experimental". Go has Google's full and continued support.

You may be thinking of the Go AppEngine runtime that is still considered experimental, something we anticipate will change soon.

Andrew

Andrew Wilkins

Mar 28, 2012, 9:09:41 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
(I was wondering why I had so many emails from golang-nuts...)

Congratulations to the Go team, and all of the contributors.
Have a beer on me. If I ever meet you, I'll even pay for it.

Cheers,
Andrew

ajstarks

Mar 28, 2012, 9:42:50 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
To commemorate the release, here is a set of screenshots of Go 1 on Mac OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, Windows XP and Windows 8:

Kai Backman

Mar 29, 2012, 3:17:44 AM3/29/12
to golang-...@googlegroups.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
Congrats everyone! Go has come a long way since the initial check in to p4. :-)

Take care,

  Kai

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Andrew Gerrand <a...@golang.org> wrote:
[...]

Kai Backman, CEO
http://tinkercad.com - Design physical things in your browser

victorcoder

Mar 29, 2012, 3:50:02 AM3/29/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to everyone! Lots of commits, tests, experiments, benchmarks, hard spreading the word... a long way and a super great reward: Go1 here!

Keep up the good work!

@victorcoder

Jingcheng Zhang

Mar 29, 2012, 3:56:27 AM3/29/12
to victorcoder, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations from China!

庆祝 Go 1 发布!
感谢 Go 开发团队的努力,希望接下来能大力推广,让更多的开发者接受 Go 。
--
Best regards,
Jingcheng Zhang

si guy

Mar 29, 2012, 4:42:59 AM3/29/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for all the hard work both on go and on the forums, you guys are amazing.

Congratulations are in order!

gta

Laurent Le Goff

Mar 29, 2012, 5:50:45 AM3/29/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, and thanks guys.
Laurent LE GOFF

ianr

Mar 29, 2012, 8:21:50 AM3/29/12
to golang-nuts
Thanks for a great language :-)

josvazg

Mar 29, 2012, 8:32:25 AM3/29/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all the Go core team for the release!
And also thanks to the closet collaborators who helped them!

Patrick Higgins

Mar 29, 2012, 10:31:02 AM3/29/12
to Andrew Gerrand, golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com

Huge congrats to the team! I am very excited about using this and will start encouraging use of Go on any appropriate projects I come across. I will continue to use it for my own personal projects, as well. I've found App Engine to be very helpful to demonstrate new ideas to co-workers, as well. Keep up the great work!

Dave Rose

Mar 29, 2012, 11:41:54 AM3/29/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

Thank you and the team for all of your work. I am trying to learn Go, but I've never mastered any language, only played around. The some of the concepts are difficult for me to absorb as presented in the documentation and tutorials. I've preordered the Go Programming book from Amazon, but do you know of any local Go Programming groups in the Denver area?

Thanks,
Dave Rose

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 29, 2012, 6:35:57 PM3/29/12
to Dave Rose, golang-nuts
On 30 March 2012 02:41, Dave Rose <dave...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you and the team for all of your work. I am trying to learn Go, but
> I've never mastered any language, only played around. The some of the
> concepts are difficult for me to absorb as presented in the documentation
> and tutorials. I've preordered the Go Programming book from Amazon, but do
> you know of any local Go Programming groups in the Denver area?

I'm not aware of any, but perhaps someone on this list would be
interested in starting one with you :-)

Andrew

Alvin Delagon

Mar 29, 2012, 11:00:25 PM3/29/12
to golang-nuts
Maraming salamat from Philippines! :)

- Alvin

Jongmin Kim

Mar 30, 2012, 4:51:13 AM3/30/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
2012년 3월 29일 목요일 오전 1시 3분 41초 UTC+9, Andrew Gerrand 님의 말:
[...]

Congratulations from Korea.
Thanks for the Go team, all of the contributors and gophers.