gomobile: weird dependency on dmitri.shuralyov.com/gpu/mtl

Alvaro Crespo

Jul 11, 2024, 7:44:43 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to golang-nuts
Hi there!

I'm not an expert go dev but I'm using https://cs.opensource.google/go/x/mobile to build a domain layer for both an Android and an iOS app. First of all, congrats on the good work. The project is amazing.

I recently updated the gomobile package version and found out a strange looking new addition to my go.sum. Namely, this one:

dmitri.shuralyov.com/gpu/mtl v0.0.0-20221208032759-85de2813cf6b/go.mod h1:H6x//7gZCb22OMCxBHrMx7a5I7Hp++hsVxbQ4BYO7hU=

I researched a bit and found out Dmitri (great job!) and his package (https://dmitri.shuralyov.com/gpu/mtl). But from the description it doesn't look like something the gomobile project would need to use:

Package mtl provides access to Apple's Metal API (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/metal).
(...)
This package is in very early stages of development. The API will change when opportunities for improvement are discovered; it is not yet frozen. Less than 20% of the Metal API surface is implemented. Current functionality is sufficient to render very basic geometry.

Is this ok? Using go mod graphit appears this is a dependency of golang.org/x/exp/shiny,  which I'm also not entirely sure why its included as a whole.

Is this something that should be reported? I would love some clarification on this.

Kurtis Rader

Jul 11, 2024, 8:05:14 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to Alvaro Crespo, golang-nuts
Try "go mod why $dependency"; e.g.,

There's also "go mod graph".

Kurtis Rader