Discussing the browser compatibility of WASM produced by the official Go compiler

Ad van der Veer

Oct 25, 2020, 5:25:05 AM10/25/20
to golang-nuts
There currently is an open discussion on browser compatibility for Go-based WASM that I believe could use a wider audience: https://github.com/golang/go/issues/28360. It could have a big impact on the usefulness of Go for targeting the future web (such as supporting the Safari web browser, or not). So please feel free to write down your thoughts and ideas!

Kevin Chadwick

Oct 25, 2020, 4:45:46 PM10/25/20
to golan...@googlegroups.com
> So please feel free to write down your thoughts and ideas!

My recommendation would be less performant wasm for Safari where it is easily maintained. Otherwise drop Safari support almost out of principle. Leaving users vulnerable to script kiddie attacks by monopolising Safari engine use AND only allowing webkit engine updates with firmware is dispicable anyway and anything that shines a light on that is a good thing.

"https://youtu.be/-wqdTxkRkeI"

srlor...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2020, 8:05:54 PM10/25/20
to golang-nuts
If it isent too much work then I would keep safari support even if it would be less performant. But Apple is forcing the usage of webkit on ios and intentionally crippling webkit at the same time. So we might just have to cut of Safari till the antitrust suits go through...