`go list` across multiple modules?

Tim Hockin

Dec 22, 2020, 2:48:30 PM12/22/20
to golang-nuts
I just can't figure out how to do this. Maybe it can't be done in `go
list` ? Or maybe we're just missing some detail of go modules..

I have a repo (kubernetes, but minimized at
https://github.com/thockin/go-list-modules) which has a "main" go
module, and several other modules in the same repo. It's probable not
worth explaining the history right now, but here we are.

As part of the build, I need to run some code generators. They are
slow, so I only want to run them if their inputs have actually
changed. To do this, I need to build a list of all the individual
files that are transitively depended on by the package in question.

First I do a `find` for any file that has a specific comment tag,
indicating that the package needs codegen. The results span several
of the in-repo submodules.

For each target package, I want to get the list of all deps and
extract the GoFiles. Then I can use that to determine if the codegen
needs to run.

Where it breaks down is that I can't seem to `go list` all at once:

```
# This works within the "root" module
$ go list -f '{{.GoFiles}}' ./subdir
[file.go]

# This does not work across modules
$ go list -f '{{.GoFiles}}' ./submod/used ./submod/unused
main module (example.com/m) does not contain package example.com/m/submod/used
main module (example.com/m) does not contain package example.com/m/submod/unused

# Nor does this work, even with module replacements
$ go list -f '{{.GoFiles}}' ./staging/src/example.com/other1/used
./staging/src/example.com/other1/unused
main module (example.com/m) does not contain package
example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used
main module (example.com/m) does not contain package
example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/unused
```

I can run `go list` multiple times, but that's INCREDIBLY slow - most
of these submodules have common deps that are large. This re-parses
everything over and over. It takes almost 60 seconds just to do `cd
$dir; go list` (on the real kubernetes repo).

I wrote a program against go/packages which does SLIGHTLY better, in
that it finds packages in other modules but ONLY if they a) are a dep
of something in the root module; and b) exist in vendor/. Note here
that ./subir DOES depend on ./submod, but that is not listed.

```
$go2make2 -p ./subdir
Package "example.com/other1/used" {
Name: "used"
PkgPath: "example.com/other1/used"
GoFiles: [
"/tmp/m/go-list-modules/vendor/example.com/other1/used/file.go"
]
Imports: [
]
}
Package "example.com/other2/used" {
Name: "used"
PkgPath: "example.com/other2/used"
GoFiles: [
"/tmp/m/go-list-modules/vendor/example.com/other2/used/file.go"
]
Imports: [
]
}
Package "example.com/m/subdir" {
Name: "subdir"
PkgPath: "example.com/m/subdir"
Module: "example.com/m"
ModuleDir: "/tmp/m/go-list-modules"
GoFiles: [
"/tmp/m/go-list-modules/subdir/file.go"
]
Imports: [
"example.com/m/submod/used"
"example.com/other1/used"
"example.com/other2/used"
]
}
```

Also note that `Module` info is missing for the ones it does find.

So I guess I am looking for some magical incantation that lets me
process and load all of the files across multiple modules exactly
once. I wrote a similar program against go/build which runs in < 3
seconds, but doesn't work properly outside of a GOPATH (not sure why).

Any clues on how to approach this better would be well appreciated.

Tim

Paul Jolly

Dec 23, 2020, 7:24:10 AM12/23/20
to Tim Hockin, golang-nuts
> I just can't figure out how to do this. Maybe it can't be done in `go
> list` ? Or maybe we're just missing some detail of go modules..

go list operates in the context of a single module (in the mode you
are interested in), so you cannot do this with a single command across
multiple modules.

> First I do a `find` for any file that has a specific comment tag,
> indicating that the package needs codegen. The results span several
> of the in-repo submodules.

Just to check, I'm assuming the results of this find command are being
translated to a list of packages? Because the transitive dependencies
of a list of packages within a module can be done via a single go list
command.

> For each target package, I want to get the list of all deps and
> extract the GoFiles. Then I can use that to determine if the codegen
> needs to run.

FWIW I wrote a tool to do just this:
https://pkg.go.dev/myit...@v0.0.0-20201125173645-a7167afc9e13/cmd/gogenerate
which might work in your situation.

> Where it breaks down is that I can't seem to `go list` all at once:
>
> ```
> # This works within the "root" module
> $ go list -f '{{.GoFiles}}' ./subdir
> [file.go]

This will work.

> # This does not work across modules
> $ go list -f '{{.GoFiles}}' ./submod/used ./submod/unused
> main module (example.com/m) does not contain package example.com/m/submod/used
> main module (example.com/m) does not contain package example.com/m/submod/unused

Per above, this will not work across module boundaries.

> # Nor does this work, even with module replacements
> $ go list -f '{{.GoFiles}}' ./staging/src/example.com/other1/used
> ./staging/src/example.com/other1/unused
> main module (example.com/m) does not contain package
> example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used
> main module (example.com/m) does not contain package
> example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/unused
> ```

With replace directives in place this should work, but you won't be
able to use the relative path to the modules (which is in fact
interpreted as a directory): it will need to be the full
module/package path.

> I can run `go list` multiple times, but that's INCREDIBLY slow - most
> of these submodules have common deps that are large. This re-parses
> everything over and over. It takes almost 60 seconds just to do `cd
> $dir; go list` (on the real kubernetes repo).

Do you have a repro of this taking 60 seconds? Because that really
shouldn't be the case with a populated local module cache.

Paul

Tim Hockin

Dec 23, 2020, 1:49:25 PM12/23/20
to Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
Hi Paul!

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 4:23 AM Paul Jolly <pa...@myitcv.io> wrote:

> > I just can't figure out how to do this. Maybe it can't be done in `go
> > list` ? Or maybe we're just missing some detail of go modules..
>
> go list operates in the context of a single module (in the mode you
> are interested in), so you cannot do this with a single command across
> multiple modules.

This might be a real problem for us. For this post I am reducing it
to `go list`, but in actuality we have a small program that we wrote
which does what we need in terms of `go/build`. It works great when
`GO111MODULE=off` but is more than 100x slower normally. I thought it
was finally time to rewrite it in terms of `go/packages` and get rid
of GO111MODULE=off. That didn't pan out, hence this post.

More inline and below

> > First I do a `find` for any file that has a specific comment tag,
> > indicating that the package needs codegen. The results span several
> > of the in-repo submodules.
>
> Just to check, I'm assuming the results of this find command are being
> translated to a list of packages? Because the transitive dependencies
> of a list of packages within a module can be done via a single go list
> command.

The trick is "within a module". I'll update
https://github.com/thockin/go-list-modules to reflect the process
more. I've added a
get_codegen_deps.sh that models the behavior. Note that I really want
files, not packages, so I can express the dep-graph.

What do you mean by "translated to a list of packages" - which specific syntax?

What I end up with is something like `go list ./path/to/dir1
./path/to/dir2 ./path/to/dir3`. Any of those dirs might be in
different modules. So `go list` tells me "main module (example.com/m)
does not contain package example.com/m/path/to/dir1" and so on.
Setting `GO111MODULE=off` does work, but I fear the future of that.

> > For each target package, I want to get the list of all deps and
> > extract the GoFiles. Then I can use that to determine if the codegen
> > needs to run.
>
> FWIW I wrote a tool to do just this:
> https://pkg.go.dev/myit...@v0.0.0-20201125173645-a7167afc9e13/cmd/gogenerate
> which might work in your situation.

I will take a look - it seems I will need to restructure a bunch of
tooling to prove it works for us or doesn't :)

> > Where it breaks down is that I can't seem to `go list` all at once:
> >
> > ```
> > # This works within the "root" module
> > $ go list -f '{{.GoFiles}}' ./subdir
> > [file.go]
>
> This will work.
>
> > # This does not work across modules
> > $ go list -f '{{.GoFiles}}' ./submod/used ./submod/unused
> > main module (example.com/m) does not contain package example.com/m/submod/used
> > main module (example.com/m) does not contain package example.com/m/submod/unused
>
> Per above, this will not work across module boundaries.

It works with `GO111MODULE=off` which means that introducing modules
is a breaking change. Can I depend on GO111MODULE=off to work the
same way forever?

> > # Nor does this work, even with module replacements
> > $ go list -f '{{.GoFiles}}' ./staging/src/example.com/other1/used
> > ./staging/src/example.com/other1/unused
> > main module (example.com/m) does not contain package
> > example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used
> > main module (example.com/m) does not contain package
> > example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/unused
> > ```
>
> With replace directives in place this should work, but you won't be
> able to use the relative path to the modules (which is in fact
> interpreted as a directory): it will need to be the full
> module/package path.

Given a "./path/to/pkg" - how do I convert that to a module/package
path? I can run `(cd $dir && go list -m)` but that is super slow.
Running JUST that for each directory that needs codegen in kubernetes
takes 20+ seconds. Is there a better way, short of writing my own
directory-climb and parsing go.mod?

> > I can run `go list` multiple times, but that's INCREDIBLY slow - most
> > of these submodules have common deps that are large. This re-parses
> > everything over and over. It takes almost 60 seconds just to do `cd
> > $dir; go list` (on the real kubernetes repo).
>
> Do you have a repro of this taking 60 seconds? Because that really
> shouldn't be the case with a populated local module cache.

github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes

```
$ time \
find . -type f -name \*.go \
| xargs grep -l "^// *+k8s:" \
| xargs -n 1 dirname \
| sort \
| uniq \
| while read X; do \
(cd $X; go list -f '{{.Deps}}'); \
done \
> /dev/null

real 0m50.488s
user 0m46.686s
sys 0m18.416s
```

Just running that inner `go list` with GO111MODULE=off cuts the run
time in half.

Compare to:

```
time \
( \
export GO111MODULE=off; \
find . -type f -name \*.go \
| xargs grep -l "^// *+k8s:" \
| xargs -n 1 dirname \
| sort \
| uniq \
| xargs go list -e -f '{{.Deps}}' \
) \
> /dev/null

real 0m1.323s
user 0m1.174s
sys 0m0.567s
```

The model repo doesn't show so significantly because it is small.
Kubernetes is not small.

I'm happy to hear better approaches - I really don't like relying on
GO111MODULE=off forever - it seems like the sort of thing that will
eventually get removed.

Tim Hockin

Jan 15, 2021, 11:59:58 AM1/15/21
to Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
Hi. This isn't exactly burning urgent, but it is a long-term issue
for Kubernetes. If there's anything I can do to catalyze the
discussion - tests to run, info to dig up, etc - please let me know.

Jay Conrod

Jan 15, 2021, 5:18:06 PM1/15/21
to Tim Hockin, Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
I was initially going to suggest adding the module subdirectories as requirements to the main go.mod, then replacing those with the subdirectories.

go 1.15

require (
)

replace (
  example.com/m/submod v0.0.0 => ./submod
)

I think you might have tried this already. It gives the same "main module ... does not contain package" error. I believe that's a bug. I've opened #43733 to track it.

In general, it should be possible to give 'go list' an absolute or relative path (starting with ./ or ../) to any directory containing a package which is part of any module in the build list. For example, some tools list directories in the module cache to find out what package a .go file belongs to.

As a workaround, you could put a go.mod in an otherwise empty directory (in /tmp or something), then require the relevant modules from the repo and replace them with absolute paths. Then you can run 'go list' in that directory with absolute paths of package directories.

module tmp

go 1.15

require (
  example.com/m v0.0.0
)

replace (
  example.com/m v0.0.0 => /home/gopher/go/src/example.com/m
  example.com/m/submod v0.0.0 => /home/gopher/go/src/example.com/m/submod
)

Incidentally, golang.org/x/tools/go/packages will call 'go list' under the hood in module mode. go/build might do the same, depending on how it's invoked. 'go list' may be the best thing to use if it gives the information you need.

Tim Hockin

Jan 15, 2021, 6:44:16 PM1/15/21
to Jay Conrod, Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 2:17 PM Jay Conrod <jayc...@google.com> wrote:

> I was initially going to suggest adding the module subdirectories as requirements to the main go.mod, then replacing those with the subdirectories.
>
> module example.com/m
>
> go 1.15
>
> require (
> example.com/other1 v0.0.0
> example.com/other2 v0.0.0
> example.com/m/submod v0.0.0
> )
>
> replace (
> example.com/other1 => ./staging/src/example.com/other1
> example.com/other2 => ./staging/src/example.com/other2
> example.com/m/submod v0.0.0 => ./submod
> )
>

> I think you might have tried this already. It gives the same "main module ... does not contain package" error. I believe that's a bug. I've opened #43733 to track it.

Interesting. If that's a bug, then maybe I'll be able to do what I
need once fixed.

> In general, it should be possible to give 'go list' an absolute or relative path (starting with ./ or ../) to any directory containing a package which is part of any module in the build list. For example, some tools list directories in the module cache to find out what package a .go file belongs to.
>
> As a workaround, you could put a go.mod in an otherwise empty directory (in /tmp or something), then require the relevant modules from the repo and replace them with absolute paths. Then you can run 'go list' in that directory with absolute paths of package directories.

Interesting - is the difference the absolute paths vs relative?

I hoped maybe `-modfile` would do the same trick, but alas not:

```
$ (cd /tmp/gomodhack/; go list /tmp/go-list-modules/submod/used/)
example.com/m/submod/used

$ go list --modfile /tmp/gomodhack/go.mod /tmp/go-list-modules/submod/used/
main module (tmp) does not contain package tmp/submod/used
```

It also fails some cases:

```
(cd /tmp/gomodhack/; go list /tmp/go-list-modules/submod/used/)
example.com/m/submod/used
thockin@thockin-glaptop4 go-list-modules main /$ (cd /tmp/gomodhack/;
go list /tmp/go-list-modules/staging/src/example.com/other1/used/)
go: finding module for package example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used
cannot find module providing package
example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used: unrecognized import
path "example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used": reading
https://example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used?go-get=1:
404 Not Found
```

It seems that is because the "main" (top-level dir) go.mod has
`replace` directives with relative paths, which kubernetes really
does.

> Incidentally, golang.org/x/tools/go/packages will call 'go list' under the hood in module mode. go/build might do the same, depending on how it's invoked. 'go list' may be the best thing to use if it gives the information you need.

Yeah, I noticed. When GO111MODULE=off, everything I am doing is much
faster. I'm wary of depending on that forever, though.

Stepping back, I fear I am pushing the square peg into a round hole.
Let me restate what I am trying to do.

I want to run a slow codegen process only if the packages it depends
on have ACTUALLY changed (mtime is a good enough proxy) and I don't
know a priori which packages need codegen. I want to scan the file
tree, find the files that need codegen, check their deps, and only
then run the codegen.

We do this today with `go list` and GO111MODULE=off, but I was advised
at some point that x/tools/go/packages was the future-safe approach.

If there's a better way, I am all ears.

Tim
GO111MODULE=off

Randall O'Reilly

Jan 16, 2021, 3:46:13 AM1/16/21
to Tim Hockin, Jay Conrod, Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
Is the slowness here related to https://github.com/golang/go/issues/29427 ? I'm not sure the earlier fix for that actually fixed the issues I was having (and the issue remains open) -- I need to do more research for my situation, but just in case this might be another reason to revisit the slowness factor there..

- Randy
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/golang-nuts/CAO_RewZwtA92fg5w%2BS2xxoJfGJT_03NczfTB1Z%2BZx-onG5-4RQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Jay Conrod

Jan 19, 2021, 10:03:39 AM1/19/21
to Tim Hockin, Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
> Interesting - is the difference the absolute paths vs relative?

It looks like the bug has to do with whether the directory is below the main module root directory or not. If it is, the go command takes a path that assumes it's part of the main module, which it's not.

> I hoped maybe `-modfile` would do the same trick, but alas not:

-modfile lets you change the effective content of go.mod but not the module root directory. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that can be used to work around the issue.

> It seems that is because the "main" (top-level dir) go.mod has
> `replace` directives with relative paths, which kubernetes really
> does.

You may need to copy those over to the tmp go.mod and adjust the paths. Sorry this has gotten pretty involved.

> Yeah, I noticed.  When GO111MODULE=off, everything I am doing is much
> faster.  I'm wary of depending on that forever, though.

Module-aware mode is quite a bit more complicated than GOPATH mode, so to some degree it's not surprising it's slower... it's surprising that it's a LOT slower though. I expect there's some optimization work for us to do in the next development cycle.

We would eventually like to deprecate GOPATH mode though, so it's a good idea not to depend on it in new tooling today. 'go list' should be fine to get package dependency info in either module mode or GOPATH mode. go/packages is useful if you need additional information on top of that (parsed syntax trees, type info).

> I want to run a slow codegen process only if the packages it depends
> on have ACTUALLY changed (mtime is a good enough proxy) and I don't
> know a priori which packages need codegen.  I want to scan the file
> tree, find the files that need codegen, check their deps, and only
> then run the codegen.

How much dependency info do you need? If the codegen is only within packages with files that have changed, 'go list' might be overkill (it always loads dependencies, even if they aren't printed). If you need dependencies or reverse dependencies, 'go list' or go/packages are probably the right tools.

Jay Conrod

Jan 19, 2021, 10:55:06 AM1/19/21
to Tim Hockin, Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
By the way, I'm not sure if you're already doing this, but if you can batch all of the `go list` runs (or go/packages.Load) together per module (passing an argument per package), that will be much faster than loading individual packages with separate `go list` calls. It will save `go list` from having to load the module graph and common sets of dependencies multiple times.

If you need to load all the packages in a module, you can also use an argument like ./... from the root directory of the module to load everything there (excluding modules in subdirectories).

Tim Hockin

Jan 19, 2021, 8:05:17 PM1/19/21

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 7:02 AM Jay Conrod <jayc...@google.com> wrote:

> > Interesting - is the difference the absolute paths vs relative?
>
> It looks like the bug has to do with whether the directory is below the main module root directory or not. If it is, the go command takes a path that assumes it's part of the main module, which it's not.
>
> > I hoped maybe `-modfile` would do the same trick, but alas not:
>
> -modfile lets you change the effective content of go.mod but not the module root directory. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that can be used to work around the issue.
>
> > It seems that is because the "main" (top-level dir) go.mod has
> > `replace` directives with relative paths, which kubernetes really
> > does.
>
> You may need to copy those over to the tmp go.mod and adjust the paths. Sorry this has gotten pretty involved.

I don't think I follow what you mean.

If you look at https://github.com/thockin/go-list-modules, I generated this file in /tmp:

```
module tmp

go 1.15

require (
    example.com/m v0.0.0
    example.com/m/submod v0.0.0
    example.com/other1 v0.0.0
    example.com/other2 v0.0.0
)

replace (
    example.com/m v0.0.0 => /tmp/gomodhack/2/go-list-modules
    example.com/m/submod v0.0.0 => /tmp/gomodhack/2/go-list-modules/submod
    example.com/other1 v0.0.0 => /tmp/gomodhack/2/go-list-modules/staging/src/example.com/other1
    example.com/other2 v0.0.0 => /tmp/gomodhack/2/go-list-modules/staging/src/example.com/other2
)
```

Some queries pass:

```
$ (cd /tmp/gomodhack/2/hack; go list /tmp/gomodhack/2/go-list-modules/submod/used)
example.com/m/submod/used
```

and some fail:

```
$ (cd /tmp/gomodhack/2/hack; go list /tmp/gomodhack/2/go-list-modules/staging/src/example.com/other1/used)

I can't see what's different between them.  If I remove the `example.com/m` lines from the tmp go.mod, it works.

That's what I expected, hence trying to get ahead of it.  The issue in https://github.com/golang/go/issues/43733 SOUNDS like it would alleviate the main problem I have?

> > I want to run a slow codegen process only if the packages it depends
> > on have ACTUALLY changed (mtime is a good enough proxy) and I don't
> > know a priori which packages need codegen.  I want to scan the file
> > tree, find the files that need codegen, check their deps, and only
> > then run the codegen.
>
> How much dependency info do you need? If the codegen is only within packages with files that have changed, 'go list' might be overkill (it always loads dependencies, even if they aren't printed). If you need dependencies or reverse dependencies, 'go list' or go/packages are probably the right tools.

We collect 1-level of deps, which is (in practice) sufficient, but is a compromise.

Tim Hockin

Jan 19, 2021, 8:06:38 PM1/19/21
On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 7:54 AM Jay Conrod <jayc...@google.com> wrote:
By the way, I'm not sure if you're already doing this, but if you can batch all of the `go list` runs (or go/packages.Load) together per module (passing an argument per package), that will be much faster than loading individual packages with separate `go list` calls. It will save `go list` from having to load the module graph and common sets of dependencies multiple times.

If you need to load all the packages in a module, you can also use an argument like ./... from the root directory of the module to load everything there (excluding modules in subdirectories).

Yeah, I am trying that but tripping on the "does not contain package" error.

Jay Conrod

Jan 20, 2021, 1:50:56 PM1/20/21
to Tim Hockin, Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
You appear to have discovered another new bug. Sorry for that. I've opened #43806 to track it.

With that bug, it doesn't look like `go list` with local paths (relative or absolute) in a repository with nested replacement directories will work (at least not yet).

`go list` should still work on full packages paths, but I'm not sure there's an easy way to resolve directory paths to package paths, other than by walking up the directory tree to the nearest go.mod and reading the module path from there.

Tim Hockin

Jan 20, 2021, 3:57:42 PM1/20/21
to Jay Conrod, Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
As long as these things are bugs and not "that's not how it works or will ever work", I have some hope.  This is a back-burner exploration for me, so I am not in a panic.  Every now and again I will circle back and see if anything new happens :)

Tim Hockin

Aug 11, 2021, 3:34:49 PM8/11/21
to Jay Conrod, Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
Hi all.  I realized that https://blog.golang.org/go116-module-changes says "We plan to drop support for GOPATH mode in Go 1.17. In other words, Go 1.17 will ignore GO111MODULE".  This will  break Kubernetes - our builds will be orders of magnitude slower.

AFAICT, https://github.com/golang/go/issues/43806 has had no progress and https://github.com/golang/go/issues/43733 is still open, too.  I have zero confidence that these are the ONLY issues, and until I can get past them, I can't really find out.

Please advise - how should I proceed?

Tim

Jay Conrod

Aug 11, 2021, 4:11:58 PM8/11/21
to Tim Hockin, Paul Jolly, golang-nuts
Despite what the blog post says, Go 1.17 won't drop support for GO111MODULE or GOPATH mode. It will be more or less the same as GOPATH mode.

We'll continue to work on these issues and others that are blocking people from migrating. I apologize for the slow progress–we have a lot going on.

Tim Hockin

Aug 11, 2021, 5:02:38 PM8/11/21
to golang-nuts
Great, thanks for that.  I fully appreciate "a lot going on" :)

I want to solve this, but it's beyond my limited understanding of Go's impls and beyond my limited free-time to overcome that lack of understanding.

Please consider me a willing partner when the time comes to poke at this beehive again.