Virus detection issues on Windows/386 binaries built with -ldflags -s -w

ajstarks

Feb 11, 2020, 11:15:30 PM2/11/20
to golang-nuts
When building Windows binaries for pdfdeck [1] (https://github.com/ajstarks/deck/tree/master/cmd/pdfdeckI noticed that the binary generated with on linux with:

GOOS=windows GOARCH=386 go build -ldflags="-s -w" -o windows-386-pdfdeck.exe github.com/ajstarks/deck/cmd/pdfdeck

will cause the Windows 10 Defender virus detection to think the binary is infected with Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.C!ml

simply removing the -ldflags builds a binary that runs with no issues.  Has anyone else seen this?

andrey mirtchovski

Feb 11, 2020, 11:30:48 PM2/11/20
to ajstarks, golang-nuts
you can find similar detections on virustotal. unfortunately it looks
like a false positive:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/93eb448cedd4b4355065a4f9193d8548b02bc56ed5ba9e774095f9ab3da46227/detection

there are members of this community working for microsoft, perhaps
they'll have an avenue that will allow their engine to avoid a false
positive on go code. not sure if they have an open channel to address
this.

andrey mirtchovski

Feb 11, 2020, 11:33:02 PM2/11/20
to ajstarks, golang-nuts
sorry, wanted to add: submit your file to VT and see if it triggers a
detection there (like in my link it is most likely that only the MS
engine will detect it). then you have a case to argue.

ajstarks

Feb 11, 2020, 11:50:37 PM2/11/20
to golang-nuts
A bit more info: building natively on Windows 10, the detection is NOT triggered.
I will submit the offending file.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 9:15 PM ajstarks <ajst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When building Windows binaries for pdfdeck [1] (https://github.com/ajstarks/deck/tree/master/cmd/pdfdeck) I noticed that the binary generated with on linux with:
>
> GOOS=windows GOARCH=386 go build -ldflags="-s -w" -o windows-386-pdfdeck.exe github.com/ajstarks/deck/cmd/pdfdeck
>
> will cause the Windows 10 Defender virus detection to think the binary is infected with Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.C!ml
>
> simply removing the -ldflags builds a binary that runs with no issues.  Has anyone else seen this?

ajstarks

Feb 12, 2020, 12:06:20 AM2/12/20
to golang-nuts

Ian Lance Taylor

Feb 12, 2020, 8:30:29 AM2/12/20
to ajstarks, golang-nuts
On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 9:06 PM ajstarks <ajst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> VT detected issues. As mentioned these are false positives:
>
> https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/77cbc92defdabf7e308849f0dd5e784010d9b4548b99b50df52533b949a14d85/detection

FYI: https://golang.org/doc/faq#virus

Ian