Suggest adding port: linux/arm64 to Go Dashboard (http://build.golang.org)

Wei....@arm.com

Apr 11, 2017, 11:16:29 AM4/11/17
to golang-dev
Hi,

As ARM 64-bit chips make their way into servers, more and more Golang built software start to support port of linux/arm64. E.g., docker has supported building and testing on arm64. But users may encounter various failures when they build docker from source for arm64 platform with various go versions. I know that there are many causes for these failures and it will be an incremental process to improve arm64 port. So I suggest adding port: linux/arm64 to Go Dashboard (http://build.golang.org) so that we can find these failures as early as possible.

Brad Fitzpatrick

Apr 11, 2017, 11:20:07 AM4/11/17
to Wei....@arm.com, golang-dev
We had arm64 builders until the other day when our Linaro hosts died. They can be rebuilt on a new host I'm told.

But packet.net also offered us some of their 96 core arm64 servers. I have them halfway set up.

They might be up today, depending on distractions.

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 8:16 AM <Wei....@arm.com> wrote:
Hi,

As ARM 64-bit chips make their way into servers, more and more Golang built software start to support port of linux/arm64. E.g., docker has supported building and testing on arm64. But users may encounter various failures when they build docker from source for arm64 platform with various go versions. I know that there are many causes for these failures and it will be an incremental process to improve arm64 port. So I suggest adding port: linux/arm64 to Go Dashboard (http://build.golang.org) so that we can find these failures as early as possible.

Russ Cox

Apr 11, 2017, 11:21:55 AM4/11/17
to Brad Fitzpatrick, Wei....@arm.com, golang-dev
Filed golang.org/issue/19929 (builder is gone) and golang.org/issue/19930 (dead builder looks like we never even bothered to have a builder).

Brad Fitzpatrick

Apr 11, 2017, 8:53:26 PM4/11/17
to Russ Cox, Wei....@arm.com, golang-dev
We have arm64 builders again. (And a lot of them)

Wei....@arm.com

Brad Fitzpatrick

Apr 11, 2017, 9:43:13 PM4/11/17
to Wei....@arm.com, golang-dev, Russ Cox
You just got lucky. The work was already underway. :-)

Wei....@arm.com

Apr 11, 2017, 10:04:33 PM4/11/17
to golang-dev, Wei....@arm.com, r...@golang.org
Considering that linux/arm is already the first class port, have you considered also adding linux/arm64 to the first class ports?

Brad Fitzpatrick

Apr 11, 2017, 10:09:46 PM4/11/17
to Wei....@arm.com, golang-dev, Russ Cox
If by "first class" you mean downloads, then see https://github.com/golang/go/issues/19082

Wei....@arm.com

Apr 11, 2017, 10:38:21 PM4/11/17
to golang-dev, Wei....@arm.com, r...@golang.org
Good to know that go1.9 is going to provide official binaries for arm64 platform.

According to porting policy (https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/PortingPolicy),  linux/arm64 port still lacks following two properties for becoming "first class"
1. Broken builds block releases
2. Installation is documented at http://golang.org/doc/install

Is there anything we can do to help the port graduate to "first class"?

Michael Hudson-Doyle

Apr 12, 2017, 12:13:27 AM4/12/17
to Brad Fitzpatrick, Russ Cox, Wei....@arm.com, golang-dev
On 12 April 2017 at 12:53, Brad Fitzpatrick <brad...@golang.org> wrote:
We have arm64 builders again. (And a lot of them)

Does that mean we can get arm64 trybots soon? That'd be nice.

Cheers,
mwh

Florian Weimer

Apr 12, 2017, 8:18:38 AM4/12/17
On 04/12/2017 02:53 AM, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> We have arm64 builders again. (And a lot of them)

Both 4K and 64K page size?

Thanks,
Florian