[distribute golang official binaries for linux/mips64le]

刘小东

Oct 26, 2020, 12:26:56 PM10/26/20
to golan...@googlegroups.com, 高翔, 王洪虎, 杜川, 侯芳东
Hi community,

I am a golang developer from Loongson company (R & D CPU on mips64el). I really need help from the community.

In order to meet the needs of our customers(coud computing,CNCF), we have completed a lot of golang-related localization work.

But when we submitted the code to the community, there was no golang official binaries for linux/mips64le.

We want to cooperates with our golang community to develop the golang ecosystem on the mips64el platform.

I learned from the code comments that the community’s builder on mips64le was very slow.
https://github.com/golang/go/blob/c80022204e8fc36ec487888d471de27a5ea47e17/src/cmd/go/go_test.go#L76

We can donate builder machines to community, our CPU performance is very competitive on mips64le platform.
(Loongson-3A3000) 1.5GHz      4/8/16 core      DDR3
(Loongson-3A4000) 1.8-2.0GHz  4/8/16 core      DDR4

Sincerely!

Xiaodong Liu

Meng Zhuo

Oct 26, 2020, 12:59:21 PM10/26/20
to 刘小东, golan...@googlegroups.com, 侯芳东, 杜川, 王洪虎, 高翔
Hi, Liu

I’m the maintainer of Loongson builder in farm.

The builder is a 3A4000(2.0Ghz/47 bit VMA) box and it runs well on Linux/mips64le by far. It seems enough for the architecture coverage.

On the other hand, IMHO the mips64{,le} ports didn’t meet the standards to offer the official binary which requires more works in asm/ssa/bytealg etc.

P.S. I don’t think it is good idea to put Loongson special opcodes into asm for the sake of performance.

P.P.S I am just hobbyist of Go.

刘小东

Oct 26, 2020, 10:04:09 PM10/26/20
to Meng Zhuo, golan...@googlegroups.com, 高翔, 王洪虎
Hi Meng Zhuo,

> On the other hand, IMHO the mips64{,le} ports didn’t meet the standards to offer the official binary which requires more works in asm/ssa/bytealg etc.
Could you tell me all the issues in detail on mips64{,le} to distribute official binary ?So we can plan to complete the works.

> I don’t think it is good idea to put Loongson special opcodes into asm for the sake of performance.
We will not put Loongson special opcodes into asm for the sake of performance.  We might add loongson compiler flag to support Loongson special opcodes in the future.

Xiaodong Liu

Meng Zhuo

Oct 26, 2020, 11:53:41 PM10/26/20
to golang-dev

Hi Meng Zhuo,

> On the other hand, IMHO the mips64{,le} ports didn’t meet the standards to offer the official binary which requires more works in asm/ssa/bytealg etc.
Could you tell me all the issues in detail on mips64{,le} to distribute official binary ?So we can plan to complete the works.

The standard in the wiki only stated that you have to own the port, however other ports (I.E. arm64) is more than "just work"  to be a first class port.

> I don’t think it is good idea to put Loongson special opcodes into asm for the sake of performance.
We will not put Loongson special opcodes into asm for the sake of performance.  We might add loongson compiler flag to support Loongson special opcodes in the future.

AFAIK, the Go compiler doesn't come with any kind of arch special arguments, all features are detected by the sys/cpu packages in runtime.
Not to mention that Loongson didn't has any public manual that we can chew on.

Xiaodong Liu