quiet weeks - June 26 to July 11

Russ Cox

Jun 16, 2021, 2:08:27 PM6/16/21
to golang-dev
Hi all,

Here at Google, we have been encouraging people to make sure to take time off during this incredibly stressful year and a half. We’ve observed that one problem with taking a week or two off is that various discussions, meetings, mailing list threads, and issues happen while we are away, creating a backlog to work through on return. And even if you’re not taking time off, keeping up with this stream of interruptions can make it difficult to focus on individual work. I’m sure you’ve all seen this in your own jobs too.

We have been exploring ways to help people really disconnect and recharge. As an experiment, we have decided that for our team the two weeks from June 26 to July 11 will be “quiet weeks,” meaning as few interruptions as possible and, for people taking time off, as little to catch up on as possible. We’ve cancelled all our meetings for those two weeks and committed to not having team-wide email or chat discussions either. The same applies to public Go conversations that we are typically part of: for those two weeks, we will not be participating in golang-dev@ nor non-trivial GitHub issue tracker conversations (like proposals or anything trying to arrive at a decision).

We will also be disconnecting as much as possible during the quiet weeks from other community forums like Gopher Slack, r/golang, and golang-nuts@. The conversations there are mostly not driven by the Go team, so they won’t be as affected, but just know that we won’t be trying to keep up with those either.

When we return on July 12, we will pick up where we left off.

The quiet weeks don’t start for another week and a few days, but I wanted to give people a heads up. I will also post a pinned issue on the issue tracker when the quiet weeks start.

We appreciate all the work done by Go contributors here and on the issue tracker, and we hope that these quiet weeks can serve as an opportunity for some of you to disconnect and recharge as well. Thanks for being part of this project with us.

Best,
Russ, for the Go team

Russ Cox

Jun 25, 2021, 9:01:04 PM6/25/21