One week left before the Go 1.21 release freeze

Heschi Kreinick

May 17, 2023, 4:11:32 PM5/17/23
to golang-dev
Hello Gophers,

The release freeze for 1.21 will begin one week from now, on May 24. Please make sure to have your work landed by then. Once the freeze begins, all non-fix CLs must be approved by the release team.

Thanks,
Heschi for the Go Release Team

Daniel Martí

May 19, 2023, 3:49:53 AM5/19/23
to 'Heschi Kreinick' via golang-dev
Hello,

I was just looking at https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Go-Release-Cycle,
and noticed that it no longer mentions any beta pre-releases,
jumping straight to rc1 a couple of weeks into the freeze.

Then I noticed that this appears to have changed with Go 1.20,
which was the first release to not include any betas.

Out of curiosity, was there a reasoning behind this?
Betas and RCs serve a similar purpose for sure,
though a user seeing go1.21rc1 might assume that go1.21 will come soon,
when in fact we expect it to come two months later.

Thanks!

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 13:11:32 -0700, 'Heschi Kreinick' via golang-dev wrote:
> Hello Gophers,
>
> The release freeze for 1.21 will begin one week from now, on May 24. Please
> make sure to have your work landed by then. Once the freeze begins, all
> non-fix CLs must be approved by the release team
> <https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Go-Release-Cycle#freeze-exceptions>.
>
> Thanks,
> Heschi for the Go Release Team

Heschi Kreinick

May 19, 2023, 9:27:17 AM5/19/23
to Daniel Martí, 'Heschi Kreinick' via golang-dev
I discussed it a bit in https://groups.google.com/g/golang-dev/c/bHJ2buEZ2Dw/m/idlU7ulZAQAJ. Essentially, we're arriving at a production-quality codebase much faster and more reliably than we used to, so we can encourage production testing earlier too. That makes it not very worth issuing a beta release slightly earlier.

I guess we could put the target final release date in the announcement email, or a link to the wiki page, if you think that would be useful.

Matthew Dempsky

May 24, 2023, 8:17:16 PM5/24/23
to golang-dev
Hi Gophers,

We have now entered the freeze for Go 1.21.

All non-fix CLs must now be approved by the release team. Unlike past freezes, this includes currently in-progress CLs too.

Thanks,
Matthew for the Go Release Team

Brad Fitzpatrick

May 24, 2023, 8:21:23 PM5/24/23
to Matthew Dempsky, golang-dev

Russ Cox

May 24, 2023, 8:36:27 PM5/24/23
to Brad Fitzpatrick, Matthew Dempsky, golang-dev