FIPS compliant

Kobi Gana

Dec 14, 2022, 12:57:08 PM12/14/22
to golang-dev
Hi all,
I know that recently the boring was merged to main golang code.
Still this relevant only for Linux 64.
Are there any plans to add enable it to Windows/Mac and other OSs?
If there is a conversation that discuss this please refer it to me.

Thanks

Jared Parsons

Dec 14, 2022, 1:52:31 PM12/14/22
to golang-dev
I do not believe there are any plans to add this support into the upstream Go compiler code base at this time. There was a proposal on making the Go crypto engine more pluggable in #33281. This would've allowed for alternative engines like Windows CNG to be used but that was rejected.

Microsoft does maintain a fork of the Go compiler which has FIPS support for Windows as well as Linux using OpenSSL.

There is also a joint effort from a few companies (RedHat and Microsoft included) to centralize the work on making Go more FIPS compliant across OS. Presently there is no Mac support though.

Kobi Gana

Dec 14, 2022, 4:54:48 PM12/14/22
to golang-dev
Thank you for the valuable information!
I guess that in some point it will become fips to all OSs.
Just matter of time.

Again, thanks for the info.