Query about the PR process for tools

Aditi Ahuja

Jun 23, 2024, 5:51:26 PMJun 23
to golang-dev
Hi team,
First time contributor here. I was looking to contribute to the inliner and had some questions in that regard.

Background: I was attempting to understand the codebase and wanted to take on some clearly defined tasks to start off with.
I came across some TODOs by Alan Donovan(adonovan) in the code and wanted to attempt some, starting with this one.

Questions:
1. Is it okay to work on these and open PRs? Do I need his approval for this?

2. This PR will involve adding a method to types.Info. As far as I understood from this README, this will involve adding the new method to the api/next/*.txt files.
Will this be considered a "language change" and require the language change proposal process? I'm unsure of this so wanted to double check just to be sure.

Pls let me know if there's any further information required from my end and if this is the right channel for these queries.

Thanks,
Aditi

Ian Lance Taylor

Jun 23, 2024, 6:04:10 PMJun 23
to Aditi Ahuja, golang-dev
On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 2:51 PM Aditi Ahuja <ahuja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Background: I was attempting to understand the codebase and wanted to take on some clearly defined tasks to start off with.
> I came across some TODOs by Alan Donovan(adonovan) in the code and wanted to attempt some, starting with this one.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is it okay to work on these and open PRs? Do I need his approval for this?

No approval is required. However, it's a good idea to first find out
whether this still needs to be done. The comment refers to #62037
which is https://go.dev/issue/62037, which is closed. So there may
not be anything to do there, except perhaps remove the TODO comment.
I'm not sure offhand myself.

> 2. This PR will involve adding a method to types.Info. As far as I understood from this README, this will involve adding the new method to the api/next/*.txt files.
> Will this be considered a "language change" and require the language change proposal process? I'm unsure of this so wanted to double check just to be sure.

Yes, any new exported method is an API change and requires going
through the proposal process. In this case it appears that that has
already happened.

> Pls let me know if there's any further information required from my end and if this is the right channel for these queries.

This is a good place to discuss changes to the core Go language and libraries.

Ian