Go 1.18 release status

Dmitri Shuralyov

Nov 8, 2021, 11:11:49 PM11/8/21
to golang-dev
Hello gophers,

We are a week into the release freeze. Please refer to golang.org/s/release (November 1 section) for detailed guidance on this part of the release cycle.

As of today, in the Go 1.18 milestone there are:
  • a total of 199 open issues (query)
  • 39 issues with a release-blocker label, but not the "okay-after-beta1" label (query)
    • The "okay-after-beta1" label means an issue is deemed safe to resolve before or after beta 1.
    • 1 of these is a documentation issue: #47694 "doc: write Go 1.18 release notes". We need a complete draft of the release notes to unblock Beta 1, which includes resolving 34 TODOs visible in the draft at this time.
    • These 39 issues block the Go 1.18 Beta 1 release. If they're all resolved before December 1, the Beta 1 release can happen ahead of schedule.
  • 17 more issues with a release-blocker label, but also the "okay-after-beta1" label (query)
    • The Go 1.18 release cannot happen without some resolution to these issues, but there's more time available to work on them.
Please note there are only approximately 3 weeks left in this month. We will post further updates on the release status in this thread.

Thank you,
Dmitri

Dmitri Shuralyov

Nov 24, 2021, 5:23:40 PM11/24/21
to golang-dev
Hello gophers,

Thanks for your continued work towards the Go 1.18 release!

As of today, in the Go 1.18 milestone there are:
  • a total of 144 open issues (query)
  • 13 issues with a release-blocker label, but not the "okay-after-beta1" label (query)
    • 1 of these is a documentation issue: #47694 "doc: write Go 1.18 release notes". We need a complete draft of the release notes to unblock Beta 1, which includes resolving the 26 remaining TODO items visible in the draft at this time.
      • There are currently 4 open CLs to update the doc/go1.18.html file (query). Please check if one of them resolves a TODO in the release notes before sending a new CL.
    • These 13 issues block the Go 1.18 Beta 1 release. If they're all resolved before December 1, the Beta 1 release can happen ahead of schedule.
  • 36 more issues with a release-blocker label, but also the "okay-after-beta1" label (query)
    • The Go 1.18 release cannot happen without some resolution to these issues, but there's more time available to work on them.
Please note that Thanksgiving Day (US Holiday) is tomorrow. We expect many people will be unavailable, but active work should resume next week.

Thanks,
Dmitri

Dmitri Shuralyov

Dec 8, 2021, 6:38:03 PM12/8/21
to golang-dev
Hello gophers,

It's been 2 weeks, and we're much closer to reaching the point of being able to release Go 1.18 Beta 1. Today in the Go 1.18 milestone there are:
  • a total of 143 open issues (query)
  • just 4 issues with a release-blocker label, but not the "okay-after-beta1" label (query)
    • We need to resolve these, and we'll be able to issue Beta 1. The amount of work remaining here has become quite manageable.
  • 42 more issues with a release-blocker label, but also the "okay-after-beta1" label (query)
    • These will become the focus after Beta 1 is released, as the Go 1.18 release cannot happen without some resolution to these issues.
With only 4 issues blocking the release of Go 1.18 Beta 1, we'll be continuing work to resolve them, and it's realistic to expect the Beta 1 release may happen sometime early next week.

Please consider this opportunity to read go.dev/s/release (Beta 1 section) to know what to expect from the release process after the Beta 1 is out.

Thanks,
Dmitri

Alex Rakoczy

Jan 13, 2022, 2:58:48 PMJan 13
to golang-dev
Hello gophers,

Happy new year! Today in the Go 1.18 milestone there are:
  • a total of 124 open issues (query)
  • 35 issues with a release-blocker label (query)
    • Several of these are recurring tasks which will be moved to the next release after they're completed.
We're hoping that these issues can be resolved in the next couple of weeks, and that we can target the beginning of February for an RC1 release. Your help testing these pre-release versions is invaluable.

Please see go.dev/s/release (Beta 1 section) for details on scheduling of the release.

Thanks,
Alex

Dmitri Shuralyov

Jan 28, 2022, 9:47:40 PMJan 28
to golang-dev
Hello gophers,

At the end of this week in the Go 1.18 milestone there are:
  • a total of 66 open issues (query)
  • 14 issues with a release-blocker label (query)
This is significant progress compared to where we were on Jan 13, and Go 1.18 Beta 2 is planned to be released next week for further testing. Thanks to everyone for helping us get this far.

Please refer to go.dev/s/release for a more detailed description of the release process.

Thanks,
Dmitri

Dmitri Shuralyov

Feb 11, 2022, 7:43:44 PMFeb 11
to golang-dev
Hello gophers,

It's been 2 weeks since our last update in this thread. Since then,
more progress has been made and Go 1.18 Beta 2 was released
last Monday (Jan 31). Thanks to everyone testing it and reporting
issues!

At the end of this week, in the Go1.18 milestone we are down to:
  • a total of 32 open issues (query)
  • 9 issues with a release-blocker label (query)
This is a fairly small number of issues, and many of them have
a well-defined volume of work remaining. This means we are
getting closer to being able to cut the first release candidate.

As always, please refer to go.dev/s/release for a more detailed
description of the release process.

Thanks,
Dmitri

Carlos Amedee

Mar 9, 2022, 5:26:38 PMMar 9
to golang-dev
Hello Gophers!

It's been three weeks since the Go 1.18 RC 1 release. Thank you all for testing it and reporting issues you've found. It is very helpful to ensure we issue a robust release. We are down to just 8 open issues in the Go1.18 milestone which are release blockers right now, and we are actively working on resolving them.

We agreed in a release meeting today that everything looks good thus far for us to target next week for the final Go 1.18 release.

As part of making the final release, we've also opened the tree for Go1.19 changes.

Thank you everyone for your help with this release. As always, please refer to go.dev/s/release for a more detailed description of the release process.

Thanks,
Carlos