workflow for similar changes to multiple x/crypto packages

Tim Mohlmann

Sep 16, 2022, 9:19:19 AM9/16/22
to golang-dev
Hi,

I'm picking up an issue: https://github.com/golang/go/issues/16971 which has proposal-accepted and NeedsFix labels. The changes will add additional API to multiple packages:

1. x/crypto/scrypt
2. x/crypto/argon2
3. x/crypto/pbkdf2

Can someone tell me what is the best commit / CL workflow? All in one change, or a seperate CL for each package?

Seperate CLs will allow me to build a concept on 1 variant, reiterate to get it accepted and use the final version as a blueprint for the remaining packages. However, gerrit will probably want to close the issue after the first CL is approved and create a mess?

Br,

muhlemmer.

peterGo

Sep 16, 2022, 10:05:59 AM9/16/22
to golang-dev
On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 9:19:19 AM UTC-4 muhl...@gmail.com wrote:

Seperate CLs will allow me to build a concept on 1 variant, reiterate to get it accepted and use the final version as a blueprint for the remaining packages. However, gerrit will probably want to close the issue after the first CL is approved and create a mess?

 The Go project has an official contribution guide.

Contribution Guide
https://go.dev/doc/contribute

Good commit messages

Referencing issues

The special notation "Fixes #12345" associates the change with issue 12345 in the Go issue tracker. When this change is eventually applied, the issue tracker will automatically mark the issue as fixed.

If the change is a partial step towards the resolution of the issue, write "Updates #12345" instead. This will leave a comment in the issue linking back to the change in Gerrit, but it will not close the issue when the change is applied.

peter