Please help with Go 1.17 release notes

Dmitri Shuralyov

May 6, 2021, 5:34:06 PM5/6/21
to golang-dev
Hi gophers,

We've entered the freeze for Go 1.17, and the golang.org/s/release timeline
allows us to issue Go 1.17 Beta 1 on June 1 (less than 4 weeks away now!)
if all release-blocking issues in scope for the beta are resolved by then.

As of this moment, I'm counting 2036 commits¹ since CL 275297 was submitted
when the tree opened for Go 1.17 development. We need everyone's help with
summarizing those improvements by completing the Go 1.17 release notes draft,
and doing so will unblock the Go 1.17 Beta 1 release.

There are currently 44 matches for "TODO" at https://tip.golang.org/doc/go1.17.
We opened small issues for distinct sections that have outstanding TODOs to
help everyone coordinate and use plenty of concurrency:

Please help make progress:
Thank you for all you do to make Go 1.17 an excellent release!

Dmitri

¹ There are merge commits, so the actual number of changes is much higher.

Manlio Perillo

May 7, 2021, 4:57:49 AM5/7/21
to golang-dev
On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 11:34:06 PM UTC+2 dmit...@golang.org wrote:
Hi gophers,

We've entered the freeze for Go 1.17, and the golang.org/s/release timeline
allows us to issue Go 1.17 Beta 1 on June 1 (less than 4 weeks away now!)
if all release-blocking issues in scope for the beta are resolved by then.

As of this moment, I'm counting 2036 commits¹ since CL 275297 was submitted
when the tree opened for Go 1.17 development. We need everyone's help with
summarizing those improvements by completing the Go 1.17 release notes draft,
and doing so will unblock the Go 1.17 Beta 1 release.

Is the change in https://golang.org/cl/288693 worth mentioning in the release note?

Thanks
Manlio

Ian Lance Taylor

May 8, 2021, 6:31:10 PM5/8/21
to Manlio Perillo, golang-dev
In my opinion, no. The release notes aren't a place to note every
improvement. They are to let people know about new functionality and
about changes in behavior that may affect the way that they use Go.
Thanks.

Ian