Go 1.20 status and early thaw

Heschi Kreinick

Jan 5, 2023, 12:10:31 PM1/5/23
to golang-dev
Go 1.20 is on track for its scheduled release in the first week of February, with a very manageable looking set of release blocking issues. Thanks to all those who have tested RC1; please try out RC2 as well.

Since everything looks good, we aren't expecting a rush of bug fixes at the last minute. Assuming that holds, we're going to try another experiment in expanding the development window: we'll unfreeze the tree before 1.20 ships. We're tentatively targeting the week of the 16th.

Once that happens, any CLs targeting 1.20 will need to be explicitly cherry-picked. We don't want this to be too much of a drag on authors, so we'll try to make that process as lightweight as possible. Most likely you'll need to inform us by commenting on a tracking issue, and we'll handle it from there, similar to https://go.dev/issue/51460.

Feel free to reply here with any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Heschi for the Go Release Team

Daniel Martí

Jan 5, 2023, 12:26:58 PM1/5/23
to golang-dev
I assume that, if the experiments are successful,
https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Go-Release-Cycle will be updated to
reflect the new development window for 1.21 and beyond?
I myself was confused the other day about 1.20rc1, as I forgot that you
announced it would be out early and the wiki has the old calendar.

On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 12:10:13 -0500, 'Heschi Kreinick' via golang-dev wrote:
> Go 1.20 is on track for its scheduled release in the first week of
> February, with a very manageable looking set of release blocking issues
> <https://github.com/golang/go/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Arelease-blocker+milestone%3AGo1.20+-label%3Arecurring>.
> Thanks to all those who have tested RC1; please try out RC2 as well.
>
> Since everything looks good, we aren't expecting a rush of bug fixes at the
> last minute. Assuming that holds, we're going to try another experiment in
> expanding the development window: we'll unfreeze the tree before 1.20
> ships. We're tentatively targeting the week of the 16th.
>
> Once that happens, *any CLs targeting 1.20 will need to be explicitly
> cherry-picked*. We don't want this to be too much of a drag on authors, so
> we'll try to make that process as lightweight as possible. Most likely
> you'll need to inform us by commenting on a tracking issue, and we'll
> handle it from there, similar to https://go.dev/issue/51460.
>
> Feel free to reply here with any questions or concerns.
>
> Thanks,
> Heschi for the Go Release Team

Heschi Kreinick

Jan 5, 2023, 2:26:15 PM1/5/23
to Daniel Martí, golang-dev
Yeah, I didn't want to update the docs until after the dust had settled in case things went poorly. We'll probably do a retrospective once 1.20 ships and decide what to do for the rest of 1.21 then.

Cherry Mui

Jan 17, 2023, 4:43:34 PM1/17/23
to golang-dev
The tree is now soft reopened for early-in-cycle changes only. Please note that it is not yet fully opened for Go 1.21 general development. See http://go.dev/issue/57736 for more information and the status of tree reopening.

At this point, any CLs targeting Go 1.20 release need to be explicitly cherry-picked to the release-branch.go1.20 branch. https://go.dev/issue/57854 is the tracking issue.

Feel free to reply here with any questions or concerns.

Thanks.

Cherry Mui

Jan 19, 2023, 5:09:49 PM1/19/23
to golang-dev
By now the tree is open for Go 1.21 development, and issue go.dev/issue/57736 is closed.
Thanks everyone, and happy development!

Heschi Kreinick

Mar 8, 2023, 5:38:37 PM3/8/23
to golang-dev