Post Quantum cryptography in Golang

D P

Aug 17, 2023, 3:21:03 PM8/17/23
to golang-dev
Hi Golang devs,

When would NIST standardized post quantum cryptography schemes (Falcon, Dilithium, Kyber) be implemented into Golang natively? Is there a timeline for this.

Filippo Valsorda

Aug 19, 2023, 1:59:15 AM8/19/23
to D P, golang-dev
Hello,

We're experimenting with Kyber, as KEMs are the most urgent concern to protect against collect-now-decrypt-later attacks. It's unlikely we'll expose an API in the standard library before NIST produces a final specification, but we might enable draft hybrid key exchanges in crypto/tls in the meantime, maybe behind a GOEXPERIMENT flag.

I have no precise timeline for this.

D P

Aug 25, 2023, 11:01:20 PM8/25/23
to golang-dev
Thanks for the info Filippo.

The NIST draft specifications have been made available yesterday.

Rob Pike

Aug 25, 2023, 11:58:56 PM8/25/23
to D P, golang-dev
Surely the phrase should be post-non-quantum?

-rob

D P

Nov 22, 2023, 7:39:39 PM11/22/23
to golang-dev

Dear Filippo,

>>>but we might enable draft hybrid key exchanges in crypto/tls in the meantime, maybe behind a GOEXPERIMENT flag.

Could you please share some timeline when this experimental hybrid mode will be available? We have an use-case for hybrid mode, but prefer something that comes with golang (even if under experimental flag), instead of building ourselves.