Trying out a new CI system

Heschi Kreinick

Apr 11, 2023, 5:49:55 PM4/11/23
to golang-dev
Hello, gophers!

A while ago, the release team started evaluating replacements for our current CI system. After some research we decided that LUCI, the Chrome project's CI system, is the strongest candidate. For the past couple of months, we've been setting up a prototype project, which is now ready for wider experimentation. This week we're opening it up to members of the Go team to trigger, so you may start seeing comments from "Go LUCI" and "triciu...@appspot.com" on CLs.

LUCI is a large, mature project that already has a lot of features that we've wanted to build for a long time and never been able to. As an example, the presubmit UX is much better: it's integrated with the Gerrit Checks UI, supports structured test output so you don't have to scroll through a text log to find test failures, and has a UI for its version of SlowBots. We think it'll be a significant improvement over the current system.

We have a little bit of work left to do to set up the ACLs for non-Googlers. I'm hoping we'll be ready for all of you to try it out in the next couple of weeks. We're looking forward to your feedback once we are. After everyone's had a chance to try it out, we'll make our final decision about whether to move forward.

Thanks,
Heschi for the Go Release Team

Heschi Kreinick

May 2, 2023, 5:10:15 PM5/2/23
to golang-dev
We've finished setting up the ACLs. Everyone can now see build results, and those of you with TryBot access can vote a new label, Commit-Queue +1, to trigger a LUCI presubmit run.

As a reminder, this is still just a trial -- it hasn't replaced the existing TryBot infrastructure. You still need to run TryBots on your CLs to get full results.

Some things to check out:
If you have any feedback or comments, feel free to comment here or file an issue.

Thanks,
Heschi for the Go Release Team

Meng Zhuo

May 4, 2023, 4:00:35 AM5/4/23
to golang-dev
Hi, Heschi
I try to start a LUCI check but it says  "CV cannot start a Run for mzh because the user is neither the CL owner nor a committer."

What shoud I do? Thanks?

Heschi Kreinick

May 5, 2023, 2:30:18 PM5/5/23
to Meng Zhuo, golang-dev
Thanks for the report. This appears to be working as intended for LUCI, but I can see how it's a problem. We'll raise it with them. In the meantime, you can run it on your own CLs to give it a try.

Heschi Kreinick

May 8, 2023, 3:38:01 PM5/8/23
to Meng Zhuo, golang-dev
Reported to the LUCI team as https://crbug.com/1443582.

Meng Zhuo

May 9, 2023, 5:38:25 AM5/9/23
to golang-dev
Thanks!

Heschi Kreinick

May 19, 2023, 3:46:27 PM5/19/23
to golang-dev
There hasn't been much feedback, which I interpret to mean that nobody sees major problems. With that, we will move forward with our migration.

We will need help from builder maintainers as the migration continues. I'll start a new thread next week about that.