[security] Go 1.22.2 and Go 1.21.9 are released

anno...@golang.org

Apr 3, 2024, 11:58:36 AMApr 3
to golan...@googlegroups.com

Hello gophers,

We have just released Go versions 1.22.2 and 1.21.9, minor point releases.

These minor releases include 1 security fixes following the security policy:

  • http2: close connections when receiving too many headers

    Maintaining HPACK state requires that we parse and process all HEADERS and CONTINUATION frames on a connection. When a request's headers exceed MaxHeaderBytes, we don't allocate memory to store the excess headers but we do parse them. This permits an attacker to cause an HTTP/2 endpoint to read arbitrary amounts of header data, all associated with a request which is going to be rejected. These headers can include Huffman-encoded data which is significantly more expensive for the receiver to decode than for an attacker to send.

    Set a limit on the amount of excess header frames we will process before closing a connection.

    Thanks to Bartek Nowotarski (https://nowotarski.info/) for reporting this issue.

    This is CVE-2023-45288 and Go issue https://go.dev/issue/65051.

View the release notes for more information:
https://go.dev/doc/devel/release#go1.22.2

You can download binary and source distributions from the Go website:
https://go.dev/dl/

To compile from source using a Git clone, update to the release with
git checkout go1.22.2 and build as usual.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the releases.

Cheers,
Than and Dmitri for the Go team