Gateway to the 13th Age (not the Highlands game)

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 3, 2014, 4:27:29 AM11/3/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
As discussed with Razzman a short while ago, I would be interested in running a few 13th Age sessions for the Friday night gang some time. I understand of course that you've got your Vampire, PF and Marvel games going on, but if the regular GMs feel like taking a break, I'd be more than happy to run through a pretty quick chargen and 1st level adventure for people.

The free (no artwork, no setting) rules pdf is available for download right here: http://www.pelgranepress.com/files/13th_Age/13th_Age_System_Reference_Document.pdf

Razzman Khaliff

Nov 3, 2014, 4:54:12 AM11/3/14
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
Yeah I'm very interested in this game been wanting to try it out but my gaming schedules and Kai's player list is often full that I never get the chance. I know Kwang has been indicating that we should try new systems and this game seems up our alley also we meet up with Kai so often on Friday nights that this seems like a good plan. Our main game will still be Alex's PF and Kwang's Marvel but it would be nice to have something else to break the monotony.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Poh Tun Kai <ptik...@gmail.com> wrote:
As discussed with Razzman a short while ago, I would be interested in running a few 13th Age sessions for the Friday night gang some time. I understand of course that you've got your Vampire, PF and Marvel games going on, but if the regular GMs feel like taking a break, I'd be more than happy to run through a pretty quick chargen and 1st level adventure for people.

The free (no artwork, no setting) rules pdf is available for download right here: http://www.pelgranepress.com/files/13th_Age/13th_Age_System_Reference_Document.pdf

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 3, 2014, 8:08:27 AM11/3/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
There's an article by Jonathan Tweet about how 13th Age differs from Pathfinder...

* * *

Now with 13th Age, Rob and I again hearken back to D&D’s roots. Our publisher calls 13th Age a “love letter to D&D.” The setting in particular showcases classics fantasy RPG tropes and puts them to work for you. What that means for you is that you can incorporate elements from 13th Age into your 3.5 or Pathfinder campaign, and chances are they’ll feel like they fit there.

Streamlined Rules
When we revised the D&D system for 3E, we dropped a lot of particular rules and prohibitions in favor of a more streamlined, open-ended system. We took out percentile 18-Strength scores, different bonus tables for each ability score, ability minimums for races and classes, level caps by race and class, prohibitions on most race/class combinations, limits on multiclassing, weapon speeds, different weapon damage for large monsters, and spellcasting times.

With 13th Age, Rob and I went further, streamlining class features, spell descriptions, monster descriptions, and combat. You might not want to play as fast and loose as we do, but you might find some of our shortcuts attractive.

(continued)

http://pandorama.com/post/17605519

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 7, 2014, 10:14:17 PM11/7/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Hullo all, it looks like I have a guest joining me for next Friday's 13th Age introduction. Bill Phang will be playing a most unique grim avenger, a mysterious dark paladin with armament mastery. He can kill you with a teacup.

Omnitricks

Nov 9, 2014, 5:07:50 AM11/9/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
So this is for the Friday group when there is no pathfinder/marvel being run?

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 9, 2014, 8:02:59 AM11/9/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
In theory, anyway. :)

Razzman Khaliff

Nov 9, 2014, 8:13:55 AM11/9/14
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
Yeah supposed to alternate between those 2 games but we haven't got down to talking about it yet. Also next week is pathfinder.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Poh Tun Kai <ptik...@gmail.com> wrote:
In theory, anyway. :)

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 9, 2014, 8:59:15 AM11/9/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Oh, Bill wants to start 13th Age on Friday. :o

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 19, 2014, 3:42:39 AM11/19/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Okay, Friday nighters, I'm restarting discussion for my Gateway to the 13th Age game.

1. The game will be set in the default 13th Age world, The Dragon Empire. It's a stable, magic-rich realm ruled by a powerful magic-using human Emperor, with the aid of metallic dragons, half-orc legions and elf and dwarf allies. Seven cities sit around a magically calm inland sea, enriched by trade. Great villains threaten the enemy from beyond its borders: monsters from the Iron Sea, the Orc Lord's hordes, unruly giants, the undead of the Lich King, the demons of the Diabolist and the evil dragons of the Three.
2. Chargen will be standard point-buy (25 points). Do note that the stat costs are different from Pathfinder or 4e. You can also use one of the standard stat spreads at the back of the book to make it easier.
3. We'll start at level 1 and quickly escalate to 2. It's all right to start eyeing your next incremental level-ups.
4. So far for players we have Razzman, Kelvin, Alex, Kwang and Bill, right? And maybe Suresh making guest appearances.
5. I'm aiming to allow a less-than-good party of mercs, roguish shades of gray or principled villains. Preferably interested in making sure the other villains don't destroy the world because that's where you keep all your stuff.
6. If you'd like to go ahead and propose character concepts, that will make things go faster. Razz has his eye on a Necromancer, Kelvin is looking at a Spartan-style Fighter, Bill is playing a dark (and sorta dead) Paladin of the Lich King. And Suresh has a tiefling sky pirate Rogue.

Questions?

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 19, 2014, 3:43:47 AM11/19/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Guh, that should read "threaten the land." :(

Razzman Khaliff

Nov 21, 2014, 2:32:45 AM11/21/14
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
Yeah I'll playing Zeldion Blackgrave, dark elf necromancer. Zeldion was once a druid who perished trying to reclaim an area of blighted forest from a coven of necromancers. Now he has been brought back to life thanks to corrupted nature magics. The sapling of a Garden of Eden tree that he brought along meant to revitalize the blighted forest combined with the desecration made by the Necromancers brought Zeldion back but not before radically changing him into something else, now he wields nature power corrupted by death and decay. With his newly found powers he has a new understanding about the cyclical states of nature that all life must also perish eventually "life feeds upon death and death will sustain life". He now seeks revenge against the forces of the Lich King for making him into what he is and at the same time while he still believes that he serves the High Druid, the other druids are not quite sure what to make of an abomination like him and see him as an aberration of nature that needs to be weeded out at worst and an unlikely ally at best.

So I'm basing this character alot on the Vermin Lord from 3.5 which is basically a evil version of the druid using vermin based swarm powers. Despite the nature heavy theme I will still be a full Necromancer just flavoured differently. His undead minions will have vines and roots and things growing outta them and his offensive spells might take the appearance of a swarm of stinging insects instead of negative energy. Basically a necromancer powers that seem to be slightly corrupted by nature.

So I will be picking the talents listed below

Cackling Soliloquist
Skeletal Minion
Sorta Dead

As for full character details I'm not quite sure how to create a character so I will bring my sheet for DM approval.

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 21, 2014, 3:33:50 AM11/21/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great. I have only printed four blank sheets as I'm not sure who else is coming. Bill has cancelled as he has something on, and I guess Kelvin is coming?

Razzman Khaliff

Nov 21, 2014, 4:01:06 AM11/21/14
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
Aye, Alex can't make it though. So should be me, kelv and Kwang at most.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Poh Tun Kai <ptik...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sounds great. I have only printed four blank sheets as I'm not sure who else is coming. Bill has cancelled as he has something on, and I guess Kelvin is coming?

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 21, 2014, 4:04:26 AM11/21/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
So much for the epic dragon battle I had planned. :)

Kelvin Ganesan

Nov 21, 2014, 4:18:26 AM11/21/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
No. From what I understand Alex said he won't be going for the movie. He did not say anything about the game so he still might be there.

I do confirm my attendance. Will make my character on the spot as I have yet to read up on the rules. Bring on the dragon for I am a centurion of the emperor and fear no being in the Dragon Empire. Except the Emperor, cause he is the boss and stuff.

Regards,
Kelvin Ganesan

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Poh Tun Kai <ptik...@gmail.com> wrote:
So much for the epic dragon battle I had planned. :)

Razzman Khaliff

Nov 21, 2014, 4:19:36 AM11/21/14
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
Oh... okay.

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 21, 2014, 11:05:15 PM11/21/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, guys, for taking a chance and crashing right into the Icon wars of the Dragon Empire!

Last night, we played a highly accelerated level 1 progression in 13th Age with:

Zeldion, a former swarm druid dark elf, now a cackling necromancer! And his overgrown skeleton Bob.
Uugah Duugah, a three-pistol-wielding roachling cleric of Love FROM THE FUTURE ERA KNOWN AS THE 31st AGE!!!
Scaly, a kobold prophet who wields the Gods' Book of Fate as an implement, but also a greatsword and various impromptu booby traps. He is The One True Occultist of the 13th Age.
Daxos, a human Spartan Warrior. He goes around nearly naked, but counts as Heavily Armored. He also...glistens.
Chiaki, a wood elf monk who was raised by dragon cultists to be an assassin, but was saved from evil by shadowy thieves. No Unique Thing yet.

Our heroes traveled to Boltstrike Pillar to aid human and elven mages in defending the Archmage's weather control facility. At first it seemed as though goblin cultists of the Lich King were the true threat, but then it seemed that someone else had ambushed the goblins in order to keep them from interfering with their own plot for Boltstrike...a plot that involves an attack force of lizardmen and a blue dragon! To be continued...

On Friday, 21 November 2014 17:19:36 UTC+8, Razzman wrote:
Oh... okay.

Darren Loo

Nov 21, 2014, 11:06:28 PM11/21/14
to go...@googlegroups.com

Time travellers are popular...

Poh Tun Kai

Nov 21, 2014, 11:09:07 PM11/21/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Uugah Duugah stole the show when he stole the heart of Ameliofor the half-elven wizard who runs Boltstrike Pillar. She finds him fascinating and wants to introduce him to her garden so that he can...pollinate her flowers.

On Saturday, 22 November 2014 12:06:28 UTC+8, SpiritFox wrote:

Time travellers are popular...

Ban

Nov 22, 2014, 12:34:10 AM11/22/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Roachling? Ewwwww.

Poh Tun Kai

Dec 11, 2014, 3:19:52 AM12/11/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Next adventure tomorrow night at Papa's Cafe, eight pm, all right folks?

Kelvin Ganesan

Dec 11, 2014, 3:24:18 AM12/11/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
I was waiting for one of the GM's to post so that I knew which thread to post in. Will not be able to make it for the game tomorrow since I have relatives coming down from London and have to go back to Seremban immediately after work. Sorry for missing out on last weeks game as well as work was a killer this past week.

I should be free to attend games after this week.

Anyway, sorry for the late notice and sorry I cannot make it. Hope you guys have fun. See you guys on the following weeks.

Regards,
Kelvin Ganesan

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Poh Tun Kai <ptik...@gmail.com> wrote:
Next adventure tomorrow night at Papa's Cafe, eight pm, all right folks?

Razzman Khaliff

Dec 11, 2014, 3:28:20 AM12/11/14
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
Yeah I'm good for it.

Kelvin Ganesan

Dec 11, 2014, 3:31:33 AM12/11/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Can I be a bit selfish? Could like you guys play either Marvel or Pathfinder? Cause this is a new system and I am really interested in playing and perhaps this game can be postponed to next week so that I can join as well.

Again, completely selfish but making the request nonetheless.

Regards,
Kelvin Ganesan

Poh Tun Kai

Dec 11, 2014, 7:13:05 PM12/11/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Well Kelvin has a point...

Razzman Khaliff

Dec 12, 2014, 1:14:41 AM12/12/14
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
Found out Alex can't come as well coz he's unwell, I do not think we can continue.

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Poh Tun Kai <ptik...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well Kelvin has a point...

Razzman Khaliff

Dec 15, 2014, 2:55:06 AM12/15/14
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
So we good for this week?

Kelvin Ganesan

Dec 15, 2014, 2:56:07 AM12/15/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
I am good to go. 2 weeks no RPG. Getting a bit twitchy... Need to roll me some dice.

Regards,
Kelvin Ganesan

Poh Tun Kai

Dec 15, 2014, 3:03:23 AM12/15/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if Bill is free, but if the others are...let's go for it.

Omnitricks

Dec 18, 2014, 2:06:28 AM12/18/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Me and Bill can make it.

Razzman Khaliff

Dec 18, 2014, 5:19:20 AM12/18/14
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
I apologize but I can't make it tomorrow have to attend Sacha's bachelor night.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Omnitricks <livewir...@gmail.com> wrote:
Me and Bill can make it.

Omnitricks

Dec 18, 2014, 8:05:17 AM12/18/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Eh I thought he went through the ceremonies already? Now only the bachelor's night? Lol.

Poh Tun Kai

Dec 30, 2014, 12:22:08 AM12/30/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
So...I bet Razzman is still interested in finding out how Zeldion and Bob would be like when they level up.

What is the schedule like for January, and when would you folks like to play again?

Kelvin Ganesan

Jan 2, 2015, 12:37:51 AM1/2/15
to go...@googlegroups.com
I am not too sure. But I am free tonight if anyone is around for gaming. So far I can confirm that Razzman is in. Alex will not be around as he is back in his hometown.

Regards,
Kelvin Ganesan

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Poh Tun Kai <ptik...@gmail.com> wrote:
So...I bet Razzman is still interested in finding out how Zeldion and Bob would be like when they level up.

What is the schedule like for January, and when would you folks like to play again?

Razzman Khaliff

Jan 2, 2015, 1:32:24 AM1/2/15
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur
Let's just so show up and see how it goes from there?

Kelvin Ganesan

Jan 2, 2015, 1:37:40 AM1/2/15
to go...@googlegroups.com

Yeah. Sounds good. Worse come to worse we have dinner and leave.

Poh Tun Kai

Jan 2, 2015, 3:10:40 AM1/2/15
to go...@googlegroups.com
Oh hey, I can drop by after I have dinner at home. We can play...something impromptu. :)

Kelvin Ganesan

Jan 2, 2015, 3:18:39 AM1/2/15
to go...@googlegroups.com

Sure. Or maybe bring a board/card game.