Hillfolk report

Poh Tun Kai

Jul 19, 2015, 9:42:44 PM7/19/15
to go...@googlegroups.com
Today's Hillfolk at Sacha's: Tribal extortion, cattle raids, struggles for leadership, and winter was coming in the Iron Age Levant. But our tangled tribal relationships mended broken hearts, uncovered murders and conspiracies, and unleashed desert mummy leper ninjas on enemies.

Wolf the warrior (Darren) sought to mend her friendship with Bearclaw the convicted murderer (Sacha) who wanted to know the truth from wily Old Worm the elder (Suresh) who wanted assurance that he was doing good by Beetle the leper spy (James) who needed acceptance from The Unspoken One the priest (Erik) who lusted after Tranquillity the leader of the village's women (Doug) who wanted to punish Wolf for failing to protect her husband Courage.

And in the course of the three-hour one-shot, they won a war with a neighbouring village, got threatened by the Northern Kingdom, chose The Old Worm to replace their dead chief, found their lost friend Courage and ousted the Worm, who fled the town on a horse with his house burning behind him. A good story!

Darren Loo

Jul 21, 2015, 12:13:31 PM7/21/15
to go...@googlegroups.com
An interesting system - I'd like to see how it plays out in a wider game. Maybe Reign? A few player characters controlling their own minor factions in a larger kingdom/conflict?

Also requires a lot of improv as is. Which is fun, really, but needs the group to be actively engaged at all times. I wonder if I'll ever be able to play someone other than Twilight in games like this... maybe that archetype is just a comfort zone.

Poh Tun Kai

Jul 22, 2015, 4:22:03 AM7/22/15
to Gamers of Kuala Lumpur, spirit...@gmail.com
Sounds like you're more interested in exploring interactions with the factions. Dramasystem/Hillfolk is more internally focused. More about your feelings than your empires.

That said, if you want to start up a game, I'll lend you the rules...