FW: Medford Releases Climate Action Plan 2021 Retrospective

Alicia Hunt

Apr 22, 2021, 3:43:48 PM4/22/21
to Medford Energy committee, Go Green Medford

FYI!  Happy Earth Day!

Alicia

Alicia L Hunt

Director of Community Development, Energy & Environment

City of Medford

ah...@medford-ma.gov

781-393-2480

From: Jackie Piques <jpi...@medford-ma.gov>
Date: Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 12:45 PM
To: Jackie Piques <jpi...@medford-ma.gov>
Subject: Medford Releases Climate Action Plan 2021 Retrospective

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – April 22, 2021

Contact: Jackie Piques, Director of Communications (jpi...@medford-ma.gov), 781-888-4534

Medford Releases Climate Action Plan 2021 Retrospective, Providing Updates on 20 Years of Climate Planning Progress Since the City’s Historic 2001 Plan

MEDFORD - In honor of Earth Day, 20 years after the release of its historic first Climate Action Plan, the City of Medford is releasing the Climate Action Plan 2021 Retrospective.

In 2001, the City published its initial plan, which was the very first municipal climate adaptation plan created in Massachusetts. The 2021 Retrospective looks back at the goals of the first plan and provides updates on the progress made toward these goals. You can read the full 2021 Retrospective here

Medford continues to lead on climate, energy, and environmental initiatives. Since 2001, the City has been on the leading edge of fighting climate change, adding dedicated staff to oversee the city’s climate planning work and other sustainability efforts. Medford has expanded renewable energy sources, including the installation of a wind turbine at the McGlynn Elementary & Middle School complex, and creating a municipal energy aggregation program. The 2021 Retrospective details these accomplishments and gives a perspective on how a planning document is implemented over time.

“Medford’s original plan set our city apart as a leader in the fight against climate change. Through this Retrospective we are taking a hard look to better understand our progress and re-evaluate our community’s goals,” said Mayor Lungo-Koehn. “The City is committed to carbon neutrality by 2050 and is working to ensure a healthy, sustainable, and climate-resilient future for all.”

“We are committed to continuing Medford’s great progress in fighting climate change and our commitment to sustainability. We’re thrilled to be able to take a comprehensive look back 20 years following our initial Plan, and to provide details on our progress thus far and demonstrate how we are committed to our goals,” said Alicia Hunt, Director of Community Development and Energy & Environment.

In the 20 years since the initial release of Medford’s Climate Action Plan, Medford has seen growth in environmental initiatives and has made steady progress toward creating a climate-resilient community. Our Plan made Medford a leader in the fight against climate change, but through this Retrospective, we are taking a hard look to better understand our progress and re-evaluate our community’s goals.

The primary objective of the 2001 plan was to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and that plan includes sections focusing on municipal and community building energy efficiency, transportation and vehicle emissions, waste and recycling efforts, and more. The 2021 Retrospective includes the contents of the original plan, which are presented without any changes, and follows each section with a discussion of what has been done to achieve the Plan’s goals and what progress has been made.

Later this year the City of Medford will be releasing a Climate Action and Adaptation Plan, which will offer an in-depth report on the City’s proposed actions and strategies to achieve climate resilience and to create a sustainable future for all of Medford.

The 2021 Retrospective is available at www.medfordma.org/departments/community-development

For more information on the City’s efforts around energy and environment, make sure to sign up for the Office of Community Development and Energy & Environment Newsletter! You can sign up by visiting www.medfordma.org/departments/community-development or https://medfordenergy.org/gogreen/sign-up.

Medford city services are available to all residents, regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, language ability, economic situation, or immigration status.

###

Jackie Piques

Director of Communications

City of Medford

Mayor Breanna Lungo-Koehn

781-393-2529

www.medfordma.org

www.medfordma.org/alerts

Disclaimer

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more Click Here.

2021 Climate Action Plan Retrospective - release.docx