Fwd: Meeting re Combined outfall and sewage in Alewife Brook

Denis Kalthofer

Mar 14, 2022, 1:18:33 PM3/14/22
to gogreen...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

This is a climate change preparedness nightmare for Medford, Somerville, Cambridge, Belmont, Winchester, and everyone living near the Little River, Alewife Brook and Mystic River:

Here's what the SaveTheAlewifeBrook.org Website says about the history of the problem:

In 2015, the MWRA constructed a new Combined Sewer Outfall (CSO) known as MWR003 in the Little River/Alewife Brook. And they did this as part of the 2006 Long Term CSO Control Plan to eliminate CSOs!
The MWRA tied sewer trunks from Cambridge and Belmont into this new CSO to provide “hydraulic relief” for their failing and over-capacitated system downstream. So now, when the MWRA’s Alewife sewage system is inundated with rain, Cambridge’s and Belmont’s sewage gets dumped into the Little River / Alewife Brook. In 2021, the MWRA’s single Alewife CSO dumped 20 million gallons of sewage pollution into the Little River / Alewife Brook from that one CSO!
Here is the text of their petition:
  • Elimination of all Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs) to End Sewage Pollution
  • Separated Sewer Systems to keep Sewage out of Stormwater
  • A Safe, Beautiful, Fishable Brook for the Residents and for Wildlife
  • New Green Infrastructure on State Land for Stormwater Cleaning
  • New Grey Infrastructure to Reduce Flooding in the Face of Climate Change