May 31: Mystic Valley Parkway Walk & Talk

Ken Krause

May 4, 2023, 5:53:08 PM5/4/23
to Go Green Medford

On Wednesday, May 31 at 5:15 PM, join WalkMedford, the Route 16 Coalition, Sen. Pat Jehlen, and Rep. Sean Garballey and other elected officials to Walk & Talk about safety, traffic and community access along Mystic Valley Parkway in Medford. (Note: This is a collaborative/companion walk to a 2022 event along the Somerville side of the Mystic River, that was run by Somerville Alliance for Safe Streets and the Route 16 Alliance.)

The Mystic River is one of Medford's most treasured resources and natural spaces, yet the infrastructure leading to, and across, this natural space is lacking. Speeding traffic and recurrent vehicle crashes make crossing the Parkway treacherous - as the Ghost Bike at Condon Shell reminds us. Cycling facilities are incomplete, and pedestrian infrastructure is often an afterthought. How can DCR and the City of Medford better connect its citizens to this space; improve our walk, roll, and bike-ability between our neighborhoods north and south of the Mystic?

How can this PARKway be improved so that it enhances, rather than divides, our city and community?

How can this space be woven more strongly into the fabric of our community?

And when will the Clippership Connector - which will better connect the Mystic River Path to the middle schools, Hormel Stadium, Assembly Row, and the city of Boston - finally be constructed after completion was promised years ago?

What are *your* questions, issues, ideas and dreams for this stretch of the Mystic River and Mystic Valley Parkway?

Gather at around 5 pm at the Community Garden between the Condon Shell and the baseball fields. WalkMedford will welcome participants and introduce  political leaders for a few comments; and then the group will be split into two walking & talking groups:

1) One group will walk to the John D. Hand Pedestrian Bridge (behind the Square)

2) The second group will walk to the Auburn Street Bridge. (at Whole Foods)

If there's time, groups will return and take the other walk.

RSVP through Eventbrite.

If you are interested in volunteering to lead a walking group, email safewal...@gmail.com.

Mystic Valley Parkway Walk Talk.jpg