Experimental clone of goestools for DCS handler decoding

Tom Cutter

May 8, 2022, 1:20:07 PM5/8/22
to goestoo...@googlegroups.com
A experimental DCS addition to goestools is available for testing. It is being reviewed for submission to the GitHub respository main branch as pull request. If you have some time to try it out and look for bugs. Have a look at the  clone:  GitHub.com/twcutter/goestools. Compile and try it. Let me and the rest know what problems you find. After compiling, run with the following addition to you goesproc processor app.

goesproc.conf:

# DCS text (DCP reports over 30000 of these in the US)
[[handler]]
type = "dcs"
directory = "./dcs/{time:%Y-%m-%d}"
filename = "{filename}"
json = false

Ultimately both the EMWIN and DCS stuff should be put in a database as the resulting separate files are way too many.   I wouldn’t process the 30000 DCP messages or the 1000’s of EMWIN messages.  I’d pick and choose what is in your area and put them in a database, then ignore the rest. ;)

I only look at stuff related ty my state and region, like everybody else.  If someone wants to pickup ingesting these results in a database.  It will get it to a way more usable state for everyone.   For both EMWIN and DCS.
Thanks,

- Tom

Carl Reinemann

May 9, 2022, 8:00:30 AM5/9/22
to goestools-users
Thanks Tom, I'll give it a go!

Carl

emin...@gmail.com

May 9, 2022, 3:23:25 PM5/9/22
to goestools-users
A useful resource to anyone looking at DCS data is the HADs system:  https://hads.ncep.noaa.gov/

You can get a list of NESDIS IDs for DCPs in your state/area and view the most recently received data from that station.