CentOS 5.5 - Missing Event System?

Sean Laurent

Apr 22, 2011, 1:47:45 PM4/22/11
to god.rb
I have god installed on at least a dozen (or more) servers running
CentOS in both i386 and x86_64 flavors. Love it. Awesome tool.

I just setup two new CentOS 5.5 x86_64 servers and installed God.
Unfortunately, I'm getting the event system error:

$ tail /var/log/god.log
E [2011-04-22 12:33:17] ERROR: Condition
'God::Conditions::ProcessExits' requires an event system but none has
been loaded

$ god check
using event system: none
[fail] event system did not load

$ uname -a
Linux server2.example.com 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Apr 12
18:10:13 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I can't find any cn or netlink kernel module on any of my CentOS
servers. Yet I have other servers that work fine:

$ god check
using event system: netlink
starting event handler
forking off new process
forked process with pid = 17559
killing process
[ok] process exit event received

$ uname -a
Linux server1.example.com 2.6.18-194.el5 #1 SMP Fri Apr 2 14:58:14 EDT
2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

What could possibly be different between my servers? Am I missing
something simple? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Sean

Sean Laurent

May 2, 2011, 10:48:25 AM5/2/11
to god.rb
No suggestions? I'm kind of dead in the water here... any suggestions
would be appreciated!

-S

Carl Zulauf

May 2, 2011, 5:52:32 PM5/2/11
to god.rb
Sorry you haven't found a solution. I too am running CentOS 5.5 x86_64
with a pretty bone-stock install. I've really only installed the
'Development Tools' package group, ruby from the repo, and then
installed rvm to manage installation of ruby 1.8.7. God is running
against the rvm installed ruby 1.8.7 and my 'god check' results in
output identical to what you are seeing on your working servers.

Matthew Helms

May 2, 2011, 8:02:03 PM5/2/11
to god...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I looked at my setup as well (CentOS 5.5 x86_64) as well. It is working fine. I noticed your kernel rev was -238, are you running CentOS 5.6?

Sent from my iPhone

Sean Laurent

May 3, 2011, 3:12:03 PM5/3/11
to god.rb
I hadn't intended to run CentOS 5.6, but... yeah... it looks like I
accidentally upgraded to 5.6 when I did a system update. Any known
issues there?

I have compared the list of RPMs between a working 5.5 system and a
non-working 5.6 system. Unsurprisingly, since they are running two
different releases, there are a huge number of differences. I can't
see anything obviously missing that would be responsible for the
problem.

Any libs I should look for explicitly?

-Sean

matthelms

May 4, 2011, 7:27:34 PM5/4/11
to god...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

I am not sure offhand.  I upgraded my test VM machine from CentOS 5.5 to 5.6 and it still worked after the update.  I can send you a list of the packages I am running if you are interested.

-Matt

Sean Laurent

May 5, 2011, 1:11:13 PM5/5/11
to god.rb
I did some more digging and I'm closer, but I still can't figure out
why this isn't working.

I reinstalled God and it definitely builds the native extensions:

---snip---
# gem install god
Successfully installed god-0.11.0
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for god-0.11.0...

Enclosing class/module 'mGod' for class KQueueHandler not known

Enclosing class/module 'mGod' for class NetlinkHandler not known
Installing RDoc documentation for god-0.11.0...

Enclosing class/module 'mGod' for class KQueueHandler not known

Enclosing class/module 'mGod' for class NetlinkHandler not known
---snip---

Yet I can verify, using irb, that the netlink EventHandler is not
getting loaded:

---snip---
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'god'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> God::EventHandler.load
=> false
irb(main):004:0> God::EventHandler.loaded?
=> false
---snip---

A little hacking and I can see the exception getting thrown when it
tries to load the Netlink event handler:

no such file to load -- netlink_handler_ext

Any bright ideas?

-Sean

Gary Steven

May 22, 2011, 10:59:59 PM5/22/11
to god.rb
This is what I did to get things working
yum install libevent libevent-devel

Kax A

Nov 5, 2015, 2:29:59 AM11/5/15
to god.rb, se...@studyblue.com
Hi Sean,

Facing same issue, are you able to solve the issue?

Thanks,
Kalidass