Re: [Go Button] Digest for gobutton@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

John Michael Coppola

Aug 5, 2023, 8:54:21 AM8/5/23
to gobu...@googlegroups.com
Brent,

Thanks for the advice on the loading of files into the GoButton folder.

I’ve never done this and I didn’t even know this was the recommendation or where to find this info. How does one “bulk add” songs to the GoButton folder on an iPad or phone, please?

Thanks!
JMC

On Aug 5, 2023, at 7:13 AM, gobu...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Chris Meece <chris...@gmail.com>: Aug 04 10:25AM -0700

You may want to be careful about upgrading to the beta.. In iOS17 beta all
of my tracks show "Error -54" and none of them will play. I tried readding
music and even reinstalling the app.

I'll have to use a lesser app for my show next Saturday.
Chris Meece <chris...@gmail.com>: Aug 04 10:33AM -0700

Note: The files that didn't work are from my music library.

I just added music to the documents folder under the Go Button app and they
do work. It is a little convoluted but I have a working version now.

On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 1:25:20 PM UTC-4 Chris Meece wrote:

Brent Lord <br...@figure53.com>: Aug 04 01:04PM -0700

Thanks for posting this Chris. And I'm glad to hear it sounds like you have
a backup plan for your show.

For everyone here, I just wanted to chime in and say that we are aware of
this issue and tracking it very closely. Since the betas are unfinished
software, we don't have any answers yet. But I can tell you what we know so
far.

When running on iOS 17 beta 4 (build 21A5291j), Go Button now receives an
error -54 from iOS when loading an audio track from the device Music
library. (Error -54 translates to a file permission error.) The same code
running on iOS 16 and earlier does not cause an error. And as you've found,
generate this error.

We know of at least one other major iOS music app that is experiencing the
same error, so this definitely is not unique to our implementation.

We have filed a report with Apple and escalated it to Developer Technical
Support. At this point, we don't know if this is a bug or a new policy. We
may not know for another month or so if it will get fixed before the iOS 17
public release or what might be a potential workaround, if any.

(This is a good time to repeat our blanket recommendation that, generally
speaking, it is much better in the long run to import your audio files into
Go Button than use tracks in your Music library.)

We'll be sure to post an update if we get new information.
Brent

Brent Lord

Aug 5, 2023, 11:38:58 AM8/5/23
to Go Button
Personally I like using AirDrop, but it also works great to use the Files app to copy files from various sources into the “Go Button” folder on your device.

Here is the documentation page that describes these methods (and more) in further detail:

Brent