GoButton 3.2.8 - a short cue over a long one..

Philippe Lux

Sep 11, 2023, 12:57:27 PM9/11/23
to Go Button
Hello All,

I'm using my iphones 5 and gobutton 3.2.8 and i'm trying to do something simple :

Go 1 : Play a long audio file (cue 1)

Go 2 : Play short audio file while long audio file is still running (cue 2)
Let short audio file finish

Go 3 : Fade out long audio file (cue 3)

Silence

Go 4 : Play a third audio (cue 4)

I cannot find the way to do that.

I tried to add custom action "start cue 3" to "go actions" of cue 2 (before the fade out)
but when the cue 3 is finished, next go is cue 4, cannot fade out cue 2 anymore !

The only way I found, is to make a fake audio cue (cue 3) playing an audio file with volume to -infinite and check "after this cue starts : stop others (with fade out time))
But it's not very clean and I could use this trick if I had two audio running in the back ground and I wanted to fade only one of the two.

I hope my explanations are clear..

Any idea ? explanation ?

Thanks
Philippe

Anthony Hunt

Sep 11, 2023, 1:12:16 PM9/11/23
to gobu...@googlegroups.com
You’ve nearly cracked it. If you turn auto follow on your cue 2, the empty cue 3 will run. Setting a custom go button action in cue 3 to fade and stop cue 1. The go button will work as expected.

Anthony Hunt

Sep 11, 2023, 1:13:32 PM9/11/23
to gobu...@googlegroups.com
You also don’t need to specify an audio file. Leaving the selection empty creates a blank cue.

Philippe Lux

Sep 11, 2023, 3:17:27 PM9/11/23
to Go Button
Thanks, i've never heard about blank cues.
I tried, but, on a blank cue fading a specify cue, doesn't do anything..
I think it's a bug..

Philippe Lux

Sep 11, 2023, 3:59:03 PM9/11/23
to Go Button
Sorry, my bad.
It works if I set a long cue duration.
(It didn't seemed relevant to me to do that,  as the cue is empty..)

Empty cues are very usefull, never heard of that feature before !
Thanks a lot.

All the best
Philippe

Anthony Hunt

Sep 11, 2023, 4:48:13 PM9/11/23
to gobu...@googlegroups.com
No problem. We’re all learning from each other with some complex programming. Go Button is immensely versatile.

Philippe Lux

Sep 12, 2023, 3:37:11 AM9/12/23
to Go Button
Thanks community !

mrshin...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2023, 4:01:59 AM9/12/23
to Go Button
You also don’t need an auto follow on track 2. It will finish then light up the blank track ready for you to fade out track one. That way you don’t need to add a duration to the blank track. :)

Philippe Lux

Sep 12, 2023, 6:04:48 AM9/12/23
to Go Button
That's what I though, but it seems 0 duration empty cues doesn't work with go actions..

You also don’t need an auto follow on track 2. It will finish then light up the blank track ready for you to fade out track one. That way you don’t need to add a duration to the blank track. :)

mrshin...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2023, 7:14:50 AM9/12/23
to Go Button
Works fine on my phone. I do not add any actions as it’s ready without doing anything.

mrshin...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2023, 7:26:28 AM9/12/23
to Go Button

Sorry I’m on v3.34 so that might be why it works on my phone?

Philippe Lux

Sep 12, 2023, 9:34:43 AM9/12/23
to Go Button
Yes it works with "when this cue starts" function, but not with "go actions"
For this example your trick works, but if I had another cue running in the back and want it to continue, while cue 2 is fading, It would not work.

@ Brent from Qlab Team :
It seems empty cues with 0 duration doesn't allow "Go actions".
Is that a normal behaviour or is this a bug ?

Thanks
Philippe

mrshin...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2023, 9:42:33 AM9/12/23
to Go Button
I’m guessing that is normal as you need some time (duration) to be able to Que the go action. It does make sense

Brent Lord

Sep 12, 2023, 10:31:58 AM9/12/23
to Go Button
Hi Philippe --

It is not a bug... you can have Go Actions defined on a cue with a 0 duration, but you just won't ever have a chance to trigger them. A cue with no duration basically stops instantly when you play it. When it stops, the playhead skips over all the unplayed Go Actions when it automatically moves on to the next cue.

I agree with using "Stop Others" to accomplish the sequence in your original question. That is designed to be the best tool for the majority of cases -- and pairs well with using empty cues, no duration needed.

Only if you need to get into more detailed fading & stopping of just certain cues while others continue to run, then you might need to design some crafty uses of cues that use very targeted Go Actions.
Brent

Philippe Lux

Sep 12, 2023, 10:36:50 AM9/12/23
to Go Button
Thanks Brent for your explanations.
(I'm too much in the QLab logic in terms of sequencing..!)