Should I buy the ipad/iphone with the latest IOS version?

Joris de Graaff

May 1, 2024, 9:33:12 AMMay 1
to Go Button
Hi,
I am going to buy a dedicated iphone or ipad to only use it for Go-button.
Do you recommend to buy the latest ipad / mobile phone due, so I can still use Go-button in the future when the app doesn't support the old IOS?

Brent Lord

May 1, 2024, 10:15:29 AMMay 1
to Go Button
Hello --

Buying a newer device that can run the latest iOS 17 will of course gain you more years of compatibility than an older one, but it is not strictly required. It would only be to hedge against your device dropping off the list of compatible iOS devices for a future release and to gain access to new Go Button features. We don't change the minimum requirements in bug fix "point" releases however.

With each "major" Go Button release, we aim to support both the current and previous iOS versions whenever possible. We don't have any plans yet to change the minimum iOS version for Go Button, but v3.3 was released over a year ago. It would be reasonable to expect it will get bumped up in a future v3.4 update, etc. Much of that depends on what changes in the next version of iOS and what devices Apple will allow to run it. We learn this along with everyone else during WWDC each June.

Regardless, the App Store will let you re-download back to the original version of an app you purchased. So the device you buy today, if it can run Go Button, will continue to be able to run that version. (The old versions of apps keep working even after we release an update.) As of today, that means if you own Go Button 3.3.6, any device you buy that can run iOS 15 or later will be able to run and re-download v3.3.6.

Brent