Warning: Go Button doesn't work on iOS17 beta (iPhone)

Chris Meece

Aug 4, 2023, 1:25:20 PM8/4/23
to Go Button
You may want to be careful about upgrading to the beta..  In iOS17 beta all of my tracks show "Error -54" and none of them will play.  I tried readding music and even reinstalling the app.

I'll have to use a lesser app for my show next Saturday.

Chris Meece

Aug 4, 2023, 1:33:36 PM8/4/23
to Go Button
Note:  The files that didn't work are from my music library.

I just added music to the documents folder under the Go Button app and they do work.  It is a little convoluted but I have a working version now.

Brent Lord

Aug 4, 2023, 4:04:46 PM8/4/23
to Go Button
Thanks for posting this Chris. And I'm glad to hear it sounds like you have a backup plan for your show.

For everyone here, I just wanted to chime in and say that we are aware of this issue and tracking it very closely. Since the betas are unfinished software, we don't have any answers yet. But I can tell you what we know so far.

When running on iOS 17 beta 4 (build 21A5291j), Go Button now receives an error -54 from iOS when loading an audio track from the device Music library. (Error -54 translates to a file permission error.) The same code running on iOS 16 and earlier does not cause an error. And as you've found, loading files that were imported into the Documents folder also does not generate this error.

We know of at least one other major iOS music app that is experiencing the same error, so this definitely is not unique to our implementation.

We have filed a report with Apple and escalated it to Developer Technical Support. At this point, we don't know if this is a bug or a new policy. We may not know for another month or so if it will get fixed before the iOS 17 public release or what might be a potential workaround, if any.

(This is a good time to repeat our blanket recommendation that, generally speaking, it is much better in the long run to import your audio files into Go Button than use tracks in your Music library.)

We'll be sure to post an update if we get new information.
Brent

Brent Lord

Aug 23, 2023, 10:49:53 AM8/23/23
to Go Button
iOS 17 beta 7 (build 21A5319a) was released yesterday 8/22. Apple appears to have fixed the issue that was present in the earlier betas. You should be able to once again play Music library tracks when running Go Button on iOS 17 (beta 7 and later).

Of course iOS 17 will still be in beta for several more weeks, so it remains unfinished software. But right now it looks like this bug won't be an issue anymore when the final public version is released.

Kelly

Aug 23, 2023, 11:04:24 AM8/23/23
to gobu...@googlegroups.com
Since my Go Button is  working, I am not upgrading.  Will that be a problem in the future?
Kelly

sent from Kelly's iPhone4

On Aug 23, 2023, at 9:49 AM, Brent Lord <br...@figure53.com> wrote:

iOS 17 beta 7 (build 21A5319a) was released yesterday 8/22. Apple appears to have fixed the issue that was present in the earlier betas. You should be able to once again play Music library tracks when running Go Button on iOS 17 (beta 7 and later).

Of course iOS 17 will still be in beta for several more weeks, so it remains unfinished software. But right now it looks like this bug won't be an issue anymore when the final public version is released.

Brent Lord

Aug 23, 2023, 2:16:16 PM8/23/23
to Go Button
No, as far as using Go Button is concerned, there is no need to update your device to iOS 17 next month.
The current version of Go Button (3.3.4 as of today) will keep working just great on iOS 15 or 16.

Brent