Music App Cautionary Tale

Peter Wood

Dec 2, 2023, 9:30:44 AM12/2/23
to Go Button
Hey all!  This post is 95% "Learn From My Mistake," and 5% feature request.

At an event last night I was playing background music through the default Music app on my iPad, and then switched over to GoButton for my show.  When I did, I got no volume out of GoButton (despite the level meter showing otherwise).  Restarted the app, reconnected Bluetooth, restarted my iPad, all with no luck.

Turns out: when I turned the Music app volume all the way down, I didn't realize that was actually the global volume control, which also impacts GoButton.

Feature-wise, I assume there's nothing the fine folks at Figure 53 can do to prevent this from happening, since Music controlling global volume is an Apple choice.  But if there's a way to warn users that their iPad's volume is turned all the way down or muted, that may save future headaches.

Thanks much, and hope everyone has a great holiday season!

Brent Lord

Dec 2, 2023, 10:53:15 AM12/2/23
to Go Button
Hello, and thanks for the suggestion!

I've added it to our list for something to take a look at in the future.
Brent

deac...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2024, 1:25:37 PMJan 21
to Go Button
A “Playlist” feature has been requested since V1 and IMO is the biggest thing missing from this otherwise great app.
Using two apps on ANY system for playback is potentially problematic and fraught with unpredictable and unexpected side effects. On an iOS device that was designed as an mp3 player with a phone attached, and caters to mass market playing Taylor Swift on Spotify, expecting it to play nice

So many issues would be taken care of if we could just put a whole bunch of audio files in a single “cue”.

I know there’s work-arounds tricking Go Button into behaving as wanted.
I’ve found the easiest and most reliable method of playing pre show music (or any other “list”) is to append all the audio I want into a single file in an external program and then it “just works”.
Of course, the “playlist” is now etched in stone and can’t be easily changed but it IS reliable and its behaviour is predictable and consistent.